Rg Cable Types

firstmode

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 27, 2005
OK, so out of all of these cable types which ones are the best from top to bottom. Did I get the order right? I just kind of threw them in their for you experts to show the true order.

RG-58
RG-59
RG-62
RG-6
RG-6QS
RG-3C
RG-4C
RG-5C
RG-174
RG-8
RG-11
RG-213

So is RG-213 the best coaxle? If so, why aren't you guys using it on everything, why use RG-6. Wouldn't using RG-11 be even better for loss?

firstmode said:
OK, so out of all of these cable types which ones are the best from top to bottom. Did I get the order right? I just kind of threw them in their for you experts to show the true order.

RG-58
RG-59
RG-62
RG-6
RG-6QS
RG-3C
RG-4C
RG-5C
RG-174
RG-8
RG-11
RG-213

So is RG-213 the best coaxle? If so, why aren't you guys using it on everything, why use RG-6. Wouldn't using RG-11 be even better for loss?
I would REMOVE RG58 & RG59 from that list COMPLETELY for Satellite installs. I won't even use RG59 for OTA antennas.....

You're not asking the right question. :rolleyes:

The type of cable has nothing to do with quality.

This is only a very small list of cable types. Even some apples with the oranges.

Not all of these are 75 ohm impedance. Such as 58 & 8.

Cables are designed for varied aplications. All are best for there purpose.

Yes even RG-59 has a place. It is just as good as RG-6 in its place.

Lower loss won't make a system perform better. There is no need to run gas charged 2" heliax ten feet to a dish that outputs 0 db to a receiver that works fine at -30 db. ;)

ok, so what are the different type of 75 OHM RG cables from best to worst?

I'm sorry, i try to ask straight forward simple questions, but sometimes I get the facts messed up.

RG-59
RG-6
RG-11

those are the common ones, where do the other 75 OHM cables fit into the mix?

those are really the only ones you should worry about..

RG 59 is fine for low frequency or short runs, like from an IRD to a TV, or to your VCR.. no problems at all..

RG6 is good for just about anything under 300 feet.. dish to ird, or ird to tv, whatever.

RG11 is for very long runs, its much thicker then 59 or 6.. and requires special fittings.. if your dish was 300+ feet away, I would run RG11 from the dishs groundblock (required by NEC) to the groundblock on the house (of course with a bonding wire too) and RG6 inside to the IRD.

Numbers for reference,

RG59 is approx 6mm thick and has a 38db loss per 100m at 1800mhz
RG6 is approx 7mm thick and has a 29db loss per 100m at 1800mhz
RG11 is approx 10mm thick and has a 24db loss per 100m at 1800mhz

There is also an RG7, which is a supposed to be better then RG11 but thinner, but its very hard to come by. It is 8mm thick, and is approximately 20db loss per 100m at 1800mhz

dont let the 5 db difference between RG6 and RG11 fool you, 3db of signal is a large difference.. every 3db gain is twice the signal.. so 5db is nearly 4 times the signal getting to the ird..

If you built a house would you use RG-11 all over the house for good shielding and transfer?

What about all the other 75 OHM cables I listed? where do they rank after RG 11????????

No, RG11 is not cost effective.. you would use RG6 all over the house.

RG 59, 6, and 11 are really the only ones that are used in television networks.. beyond that there is 250 and 500 hardline, but those are really just used for cable trunk and feeder.

If BUILDING OR REMODELING. Run conduit, so you can pull new cable when things change.

I accidently used a 6 foot length of RG59 that came with my 522 on the sat lead side just a day ago.

It didnt work at all.

RG59 is junk when used on sat, although some customers dont want to rewire, then wonder why the searching for sat message comes up.

RG11 Installation Issues

While good RG11 has less loss than RG6, the minimum bend radius recommended is about 4 inches. This cannot be achieved in typical residential construction with 3.5 inch stud walls and coax using wall plate. Considering that the F connector leaves about 2.5 inches for a radius bend inside a stud wall, the benefit of less loss provided by RG11 is negated by the loss caused by reflections due to the ~2.5 inch radius bend.

Of course, if one doesn't care about how the installation looks, they could forego the wall plates. Also using RG11 between the dish and DBS switch and then RG6 from the switch to the wall plates is a possibility if cost is not an issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)