RG6 Coax Connectors & Compression Tools

rckowal

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2004
Can some one, with experience in this subject, please comment on a good compression (NOT CRIMP) tool to buy for DIY & hobby use. I'm looking for one that is reasonable in price (don't want - nor can I afford the best) and capable of installing more than just it's own band of connectors.

I'm currently considering the Paladin "SealTite" PAL901024 tool. Can any one comment on this one - especially from personal experience with it? Can it install other brands of quality connectors like Digicon, Thomas & Betts Snap N Seal, PPC EXXL, etc. that are available for less than $0.75/each? With a little shopping around, this tool is available for $31.00.

There is also a DIY "Zenith brand" compression tool; model ZDS5061, available at Lowes & other stores for about $12.00. Drawback is that they claim it MUST be used (yea sure! - or maybe?) with their connectors; model ZDS5062, which sell for $4.00/pack of two. Has anyone used this tool with other brands of connectors? If so, which ones? By the way, don't confuse this brand new Zenith tool with its predecessor (?ZDS4041 - I think?) which fell apart after the second use. They were recalled a few months ago.

Any & all help will be much appreciated.

rckowal said:
There is also a DIY "Zenith brand" compression tool; model ZDS5061, available at Lowes & other stores for about $12.00. Drawback is that they claim it MUST be used (yea sure! - or maybe?) with their connectors; model ZDS5062, which sell for $4.00/pack of two. Has anyone used this tool with other brands of connectors? If so, which ones? By the way, don't confuse this brand new Zenith tool with its predecessor (?ZDS4041 - I think?) which fell apart after the second use. They were recalled a few months ago.

Any & all help will be much appreciated.

I bought the exact tool a couple of weeks ago, it's sturdy and although it need an amount of pressure it still works well for a non-pro tool.
My only gripe is the connectors from Zenith that they sell alongside the tool, they're a big bag o' crap and at the price, they're not worth it.
I tried some other compression connectors in the tool and it worked flawlessly.

It's not a bad tool if you're not a pro installer, I mean - it's a $12 tool.
I bought this one to install cable at my wifes friends house.

Don't bother if you're on 56k:

http://members.cox.net/cascade/IMG_4096.JPG
http://members.cox.net/cascade/IMG_4099.JPG

Hi Cascade, Thanks for the helpful reply.

What were the other brands of connectors you installed with this tool?

Best

Cascade, may I ask how much you paid for the compression tool in your photos and where ?

I bought the same tool from a friendly guy (lbakeland) on eBay with stripper and 50 t&b SNS6 connectors shipped for $59
It arrived from South Carolina to California, two days after I paid :)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5715613387

Being that it was in a combined package kept me from buying it sooner but after reading comments about some of the plastic compression tools wearing out after about the 20th use, I wanted to buy a tool that would stick around awhile in my toolbox. After adding up the costs of the individual pieces, I reluctantly ordered it. I'm glad I decided to get this one, it is built well and works smoothly.

For what ever it's worth, I just bought the Zenith tool (model ZDS5061) at a local Lowes store for $12.97. I've also seen it stocked at a few other large DIY stores. It's all metal & well built (the "mostly plastic" Zenith predecessor would break after a few uses). But I don't use the companion Zenith connectors at two for $4.00. That's an outrageous price.

I've used it to sucessfully install Digicon compression connectors. Because it isn't a "ratcheting" tool, it takes some extra "squeeze power" to operate. Other than that, it's a nice tool at a good price for DIY & hobby use.

Since it sets Digicon compression connectors just fine, I believe it will also install "Snap & Seals" which are the same length (within a hair that is).

I don't know the brands of the connectors however I'll put my neck out and say that 90% of connectors should work with this tool.
it was about $13 from Lowes.
I doubt RG59 would work due to the diameter of the cable and outer braiding which is essentially what the inner of the connector compresses.

Ubless I'm mistaken, I think there are compression connectors made especially for RG59 coax. As Cascade pointed out, RG59 is smaller in diameter than RG6 so RG6 connectors can't install properly on it.

I'm certain there are "crimp" connectors for RG59 but why would you want to use it anyway when RG6 is about the same price & less lossey - much better for nearly all applications.

rckowal said:
I'm certain there are "crimp" connectors for RG59 but why would you want to use it anyway when RG6 is about the same price & less lossey - much better for nearly all applications.

Good point. For me, it would only be for runs from box to other tv's, not satellite to receiver runs. I have a nice chunk of rg59 and it works fine for that type of application. But my self installed connectors (twist ons and crimp style) on those runs really suck compared to a quality compression style.

I was looking here...

http://www.cencom94.com/gpage1.html

and on the right hand side, the third and second to last items (one rg6 and one rg59) both list the same required tool. If this tool is like the Zenith one then maybe it will be ok.

rckowal said:
The items you're referring to are "BNC" connectors - a totally different animal.

See this link. http://www.paladin-tools.com/seal58watcat.html.

Thanks for the info. This stuff can be really confusing.

Even if the Zenith tool doesn't work with rg59, I'll likely get it anyway for that price just for rg6 stuff.

And I guess I'll keep an eye on that ebay seller that StevenD recommended. 50 for $12 sounds great.

Just finished installing some grounding blocks , and I got the Zenith compression tool
at Lowes , works really well, seems like it would last a long time. I went a head and
got the Zenith connectors ( box of 12 for I believe $16.97, which is still over priced)
I believe I saw a box of 12 of snap & seal at Frys for $14.99. but I was tried of burning
fuel driving around town. Still pricey, but I don't use these every day, but I have to say the Zenith worked fine for me. Looks like this tool has enough room to use most of
the brands of connectors.

I'm pleased to hear that the Zenith tool worked out well for you. See the link here for a source where I buy small quantities of "brand name" quality connectors at a reasonable cost. Their price for 10 pcs. Digicon connectors is $7.50 which includes shipping. And their delivery is prompt.

http://www.cencom94.com/gpage1.html

Well I'm back to trying to find a reasonably priced professional type compression tool that can compress multiple brands of compression connectors on RG-6QS coax.

I bought the NEW Zenith tool and a couple of their new connectors. The connectors are garbage compared to the ones they had out last January. Installed one of the new connectors (poor fit in my opinion). Installed one of the batch of the old Zenith connectors that I had left over from the prior Zenith tool fiasco. Installed one perfect, but it took a lot of pressure. Tool's guide system broke when I was installing a second of the old style connectors. After that, it can't drive the connector parts straight at each other and binds the connectors at an angle.

My advice regarding the new Zenith tool is don't expect long service unless you stick to using the new Zenith compression connectors.

So, where is the best deal on a good compression tool that will do snap-n-seal connectors and some of the other major connector brands? Preferably under $50.

I use a Cable Pro LCCT-1 On the handle the number is 1-800-222-2142. I use it for Digicon connectors which I pick up on ebay pretty inexpensively. Digicon Green connectors are for RG6 cable, a 100 pack is $10-$20 usually on ebay. Lots of places sell compression tools like the LCCT-1, I think it run $50-$75

Carl B, I returned my Zenith to Lowes for a refund then I bought this Paladin tool.

http://www.paladin-tools.com/seal58watcat.html

It's very well built, rachets so connctors are easy to compress and works with most compression connectors. I've already used it to install Digicon as well as T&B Snap N Seal connectors on RG6 quad shield - it worked flawlessly.

I bought it from this company for just over $30. By the way, while you're at it - order the flaring tool for about $7. It's a jewel & well worth it! It really helps during prepping of the stripped cable end and pushing the connector onto the cable prior to compressing it.

http://www.trynci.com/cat/tool34.htm

This has been very helpful. am not satisfied with my crimp on fittings so this looks good. What is everybodies reccomendation for fittings for the paladin and source(s)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts