RG6 Quad Shield Cable Black vs White?

Galifrean

Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Illinois
Hello,

I am new here, just joined TODAY!!:) So forgive me if this question has been asked and answered before. I have searched the forum and can't find an answer to my question.

I am in the process of upgrading my outside antenna and would like to know if there is any difference between white and black RG6 Quad shield cable. My main concern is - does the white cable degrade in the sunlight?
Does either one provide a better outdoor application?
Any info or directions to a site where I could do my own research will be greatly appreciated.

[/QUOTE]My main concern is - does the white cable degrade in the sunlight?[/QUOTE]

Yes, it does. I had a couple of white cable runs turned beige (more like brown :)) after being outside for a year. I read somewhere that white cable should not be installed outside because is not UV resistant. You'll get more opinions about this but in the end, it's your decision.

[/QUOTE]Yes, it does. I had a couple of white cable runs turned beige (more like brown :)) after being outside for a year. I read somewhere that white cable should not be installed outside because is not UV resistant. You'll get more opinions about this but in the end, it's your decision.[/QUOTE]

Thank you RandallA. I thought I had read that somewhere also, but wasn't sure.

Last edited:
If you want to see it in action, I used it for my OTA antenna in 2005, and the formerly white cable is all mildewed and looks more like black now...yet another project for springtime...

So yes, use black.:)

If you want to see it in action, I used it for my OTA antenna in 2005, and the formerly white cable is all mildewed and looks more like black now...yet another project for springtime...

So yes, use black.:)

Thank you for your input stogie5150. I imagine the shielding is pretty much non-existent by now.

Thank you for your input stogie5150. I imagine the shielding is pretty much non-existent by now.

Actually underneath all that gunk is nice, shiny white jacket. But its starting to break down on the surface, so I know its only gonna be a matter of time. But, I didn't know any better, so what the hey. :)

Does anybody know if PPC Perfect flex is any good? The product description says 'indoor series', and I think it has a pvc jacket. I need to run some outside, about 50 feet.

Does anybody know if PPC Perfect flex is any good? The product description says 'indoor series', and I think it has a pvc jacket. I need to run some outside, about 50 feet.

My guess is that if the product description says 'indoor series' I don't think it's intended to be used outdoors.

If any one is wondering why black cable is UV resistant but not other colors. It is because carbon black (the pigment used in making cable black) is a UV protectorate.

If any one is wondering why black cable is UV resistant but not other colors. It is because carbon black (the pigment used in making cable black) is a UV protectorate.

Perhaps, but its not used as the UV protectant in most PVC cables (at least ones of any quality). Each cable manufacturer will have a proprietary blend of PVC and a "protectant", some protectants merely strengthen the bonds in the polymer, others will change the molecular structure to tighten the spacing between the molecules. Depending on how you want your cable to last and how much you can sacrifice in other areas (ease of prep, flexure, temperature variation) will determine how you will want to create your UV protection.

True white UV stabilized cable is nearly impossible. PPC white will discolor slightly in about 5 years and be a definite off-white in about 15 years, at least that is what accelerated weatherization testing has shown.

Crusty or chalky cable is the result of a non-UV stabilized cable being used outdoors, that's the PVC breaking down in the presence of Ozone and UV bombardment.

Hello,

I am new here, just joined TODAY!!:) So forgive me if this question has been asked and answered before. I have searched the forum and can't find an answer to my question.

I am in the process of upgrading my outside antenna and would like to know if there is any difference between white and black RG6 Quad shield cable. My main concern is - does the white cable degrade in the sunlight?
Does either one provide a better outdoor application?
Any info or directions to a site where I could do my own research will be greatly appreciated.

White is ok, as long it says PVC, most RG6 today is used for indoor and outdoor use. Many Dishnet installers use the White Cable, so I think you will be ok with white.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts