RIP 622

fish2222

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 5, 2005
I just got off the phone with Dish and they are sending me a new 622. I have had it for 2+ years, and never had any issues with it, until yesterday. I got home from work and turned it on, only to see that the screen was locked up. I did a power button reset, and it took longer than usual to boot back up. I got the old "this receiver detected an issue that can cause the DVR function to not work properly". I was like, uh oh... So, I wrote down the errrors and unplugged it and let it sit. Last night I plugged it in again, and low and behold, the hard drive just started a clicking rampage. The funny part is that I usually leave tons of recordings on it, and the other night for some reason I decided to copy 75% of them to my external drive, so hopefully I will have access to them again after I get the new receiver. They even waived the shipping cost, so that was nice. I tried to get them to upgrade to a 722, but they want $125 to upgrade, which seems ridiculous (for only a bigger hard drive basically). I think I will wait for the 922 before I throw anymore money at it.

Did you check temprature reading - under Counters list ?

No, I sure didn't. It should have been fine though. It sits on top of my entertainment center and has full air all around it. I had it in the cabinet when I first got it and it made it like and oven in there so I took it out.

I got the 722 about a month ago. The installer said that his company does not carry the 622 anymore. Says Dish only sends them 612 and 722 because they do not make the 622 anymore.

Not true - they're still sending 622 with "Remanufactured" sticker/word on back label in case if your 622 failed.
Seen that yesterday at one customer.

Last edited:
When I signed up in December, direct on the phone, they told me they didn't install the 622 anymore. They installed a 612 and 381 since I didn't want to pay the extra 50 bucks for a 722 (if only I'd known about the great promos that just came out I'd have just waited 5 weeks.) Anyway I had tons of trouble with the 612 skipping and stuttering on recordings and had it replaced twice. They finally agreed to try a different model and offered to replace with a 622. When the guy came out he gave the 722 - I didn't ask questions. I'll bet they do the same for you.

BTW, the installer seemed a bit miffed that they upgraded me for free. He said a bit incredulously, "What? Mine does the same thing! I guess I just need to complain enough times and get them to replace mine!" He wouldn't leave me the 2nd TV remote saying I didn't need it. As he was leaving I asked for the user's manual and didn't get that either - he said they were the same. Regardless, I got it all working...

They are actually shipping mine to me, like they have when I have had the older 522 replaced a few times. I bet I do get a remaned 622 back though.

I have to say, my 622, recording 3 things (2 sat, 1 OTA) and watching 2 other different recordings at the same time, never missed a beat. It just seems almost impossible, as much data is coming off that drive at one time...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts