RIP Johnny Pesky

BillD1984

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
MA
Red Sox legend passed away today at the age of 92. Pesky was associated with the Red Sox in some form for 70 years, and was best friends with the late, great Ted Williams. A lot of people outside of New England probably don't know about Johnny Pesky, the man. But I'm here to tell you, they don't make them like him anymore!

RIP Johnny, you will ALWAYS be in the hearts of Red Sox players and fans.

Sorry to hear this. What a long, legendary life he led. They should hold the wake by "his" pole in Fenway!!!!

Another great idea!! It's being rumored that the Sox are going to petition the commish's office, for the entire team to wear #6 when they they return home a week from tomorrow night against the Angels (obviously they'll wear a #6 patch on their sleeves for the rest of the year).

Reportedly, David Ortiz is taking the news very hard. This is not surprising, since Johnny and Papi became extremely close over the years.

He played before my time but there is no way you could have been a red Sox fan without being are of his legend.

RIP. He lived and breathed Red Sox. To the credit of just about everyone associated with the Red Sox, they knew that and appreciated that.

RIP Johnny Pesky. Even if your not a Red Sox fan, you knew who Johnny Pesky was and his association with the Red Sox. He lived a great life. 92 years of age, thats pretty good.

If you didn't know about Johnny Pesky, you aren't a baseball fan. That's coming from a Yankee fan. RIP.

If you didn't know about Johnny Pesky, you aren't a baseball fan. That's coming from a Yankee fan. RIP.

And that was a very classy thing the Yankees did last night with the moment of silence for Johnny. Then again, I'm not surprised because the Yankees have always been a first class organization! And that's coming from a Red Sox fan. :)

Another great idea!! It's being rumored that the Sox are going to petition the commish's office, for the entire team to wear #6 when they they return home a week from tomorrow night against the Angels (obviously they'll wear a #6 patch on their sleeves for the rest of the year).

Reportedly, David Ortiz is taking the news very hard. This is not surprising, since Johnny and Papi became extremely close over the years.

I was wondering & was going to ask how the Red Sox would honor his memory. I guess it's too soon,but I didn't notice any patch honoring him on the Red Sox tonight.

I was wondering & was going to ask how the Red Sox would honor his memory. I guess it's too soon,but I didn't notice any patch honoring him on the Red Sox tonight.

They're wearing black armbands on their uniforms tonight, and will continue to wear that on their gray road uniforms. They will have a white "6" in a black circle on their home whites, and also their Friday uniforms (blue-road, red-home).

He has a pole named after him and he only hit something like 20 HR's in his career. LOL

He has a pole named after him and he only hit something like 20 HR's in his career. LOL

I think you're missing the point about Johnny Pesky. Nobody ever said he was a great baseball player, although he was a very good one. But Johnny gave MUCH more to baseball than he ever received, and he was a great ambassador to the game.

Johnny Pesky's legacy transcended statistics.

I think you're missing the point about Johnny Pesky. Nobody ever said he was a great baseball player, although he was a very good one. But Johnny gave MUCH more to baseball than he ever received, and he was a great ambassador to the game.

Johnny Pesky's legacy transcended statistics.

I didn't say he didn't give a lot to baseball, but not living in the north east I haven't heard about him other than the right field foul pole was named after him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)