Rockstar Releases GTA V Gameplay Video

My copy just shipped out. Looks like my weekend is set.. :)

On another topic, here's an interesting video interview with the creators of the ORIGINAL Grand Theft Auto from DMA Design (remember those guys??)
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/video/2013/sep/15/making-grand-theft-auto-video

Congrats! I think it will be quite a while before I get my copy from gamefly. I didn't have an open slot in my queue today and the popularity of this game means I won't be playing any time soon.

I only have 1 game allowed so I'm always on top of my queue. I almost got pissed earlier because GF said the game was out but my Games Out queue was empty, so I assumed that meant I wasn't going to get it. But then a few hours later it popped up so I'm happy now. I was seriously lamenting and considering how to pick the game up tomorrow in the most pain-free way but luckily I didn't have to. I DID learn though that I can get $30 credit for trading in my copy of Madden 25, so I may do that and then put that towards some more Steam wallet credits.

Well.. I caved..

Just picked up my copy of GTA V from Gamestop. I couldn't wait until Thursday or Friday for this to arrive. More logically though, I realized that since I had a copy of Madden 25 that I didn't want (I only got it for the NFL Sunday Ticket voucher) I had $30 minimum trade in coming my way, and with the 30% extra for trade in towards it, I ended up paying about $20 for the game. If I did a "keep it" from Gamefly I'd have to pay probably about $45, which isn't a bad deal either, but it isn't as good as $20, not to mention I got to get rid of some games I never play. I could have sold more, but I keep living in denial that I'll eventually get back to Mass Effect 3 and No More Heroes 2, and God Forbid someone doesn't like the playlist of Dance Central 3 and wants to play Just Dance 3 instead (FYI, I haven't played any dance games since the last Super Bowl.)

I also blame Saints Row the Third for this purchase as well. Before I tried that game out I was rather blah with open world gaming, but SR3 totally brought me back.

I just sent the game I have out back to gamefly and cleared out my queue. I should have hustled up a bit more and made sure I had an open spot before yesterday. Hopefully I don't have to wait too long to get GTA V. I am tempted to just go buy it too but it makes my gamefly account a waste of money if I just keep buying all the console games I want like I did with TLoU. I'm still not quite finished with SR3 so that leaves me a little time. If gamefly takes too long after that I'll consider buying GTA V and canceling my account with them until the PS4 comes out.

More and more signs pointing to a PC release sooner rather than later..

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128592-Report-GTA-V-Coming-to-PC-in-Q1-2014

That is the version I wanted to play but at this point it's probably to late for me. I already have my copy from gamefly and will play it on my PS3. I am going to have to be really in love with GTA online to buy it on PC. By the time that version comes out I will likely be done with GTA V and moved on to newer games like Destiny, inFamous, and Titan Fall.

That is the version I wanted to play but at this point it's probably to late for me. I already have my copy from gamefly and will play it on my PS3. I am going to have to be really in love with GTA online to buy it on PC. By the time that version comes out I will likely be done with GTA V and moved on to newer games like Destiny, inFamous, and Titan Fall.
I'm the opposite. I'm looking to unload my copy honestly. SR4 is just so much more fun (in reasons I'll get into in my full review) and with my massive Steam queue (I got games like Dishonored, Deus Ex, Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon, Metro 2033, Xcom, etc etc) and finally, upcoming releases like the new Batman game, I don't see myself finding a compelling reason to get back into GTA V in the near future. I'm trying to sell it for $40, but if I can't get any takers I'll end up getting $30 from Gamestop, which I'll likely just put towards my Steam wallet.

I'm the opposite. I'm looking to unload my copy honestly. SR4 is just so much more fun (in reasons I'll get into in my full review) and with my massive Steam queue (I got games like Dishonored, Deus Ex, Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon, Metro 2033, Xcom, etc etc) and finally, upcoming releases like the new Batman game, I don't see myself finding a compelling reason to get back into GTA V in the near future. I'm trying to sell it for $40, but if I can't get any takers I'll end up getting $30 from Gamestop, which I'll likely just put towards my Steam wallet.

I haven't played SR4 yet but after I finished SR3 I was gushing on here about it. I totally agree that Saints Row is more fun than GTA. GTA tries to stay semi grounded in the real world while Saints Row is purely about fun. Saints has better shooting, better driving, and they strip away all the parts that aren't fun from GTA and other open world games. Little touches like being able to call for a vehicle delivery or pulling a jet out of your garage any time you want to make all the difference. GTA has always had so many mundane missions like tailing people all the way across the map without getting to close. If they see you you had to start over not just from the tailing scene but all the way back at your hide out. You then had to drive to get the mission and then drive to start the mission. In place of these mundane missions SR3 had you parachuting onto enemy headquarters and taking over or hanging out the side of a helicopter to provide air support with an RPG.

That being said, GTA V is very impressive too. It may not be as fun as Saints Row but I am still having a good time with it. It is by far the most polished and complete open world I have ever played. The voice acting is very good and every part of the game is leaps and bounds above GTA IV. I have mentioned that Vice City is the only GTA game I have ever finished. The rest of them always got me really excited for release but I would always lose interest somewhere along the way. Unless something drastically changes I think I will be finishing GTA V and probably spending a little time in GTA Online too.

I haven't played SR4 yet but after I finished SR3 I was gushing on here about it. I totally agree that Saints Row is more fun than GTA. GTA tries to stay semi grounded in the real world while Saints Row is purely about fun. Saints has better shooting, better driving, and they strip away all the parts that aren't fun from GTA and other open world games. Little touches like being able to call for a vehicle delivery or pulling a jet out of your garage any time you want to make all the difference. GTA has always had so many mundane missions like tailing people all the way across the map without getting to close. If they see you you had to start over not just from the tailing scene but all the way back at your hide out. You then had to drive to get the mission and then drive to start the mission. In place of these mundane missions SR3 had you parachuting onto enemy headquarters and taking over or hanging out the side of a helicopter to provide air support with an RPG.

That being said, GTA V is very impressive too. It may not be as fun as Saints Row but I am still having a good time with it. It is by far the most polished and complete open world I have ever played. The voice acting is very good and every part of the game is leaps and bounds above GTA IV. I have mentioned that Vice City is the only GTA game I have ever finished. The rest of them always got me really excited for release but I would always lose interest somewhere along the way. Unless something drastically changes I think I will be finishing GTA V and probably spending a little time in GTA Online too.
I've come to the conclusion that for me, open world games of that ilk are only enjoyable for me if they don't hold me back from tearing sh*t up, and if they realize that it's nearly impossible to present a "serious" story in a game where I can walk down a road and randomly blow up old ladies with a rocket launcher. I think that's why GTA 3 and VC are my favorites of the series, because they were more about smothering you with fun and humor, as opposed to SA and GTA4/5 which tried to go more towards "gritty realism." Also, to me, just being able to walk down the street with a gun and killing people or running them over isn't really "fun" like it used to be because I've been able to do that since GTA 3 came out in 2001. However, I haven't been able to run around with a big purple dildo and beat people down, or make myself get hit and thrown around by cars to get insurance fraud money while Stan Bush's "The Touch" is playing (which, may I add, may be the greatest cheesy 80s rock song of all time.)

Another thing that SR4 has going for it is that it shares elements with 2 of my favorite game series: Prototype and Mass Effect. From Prototype you are able to run at great speeds and up buildings, jump way up in the air, and fly/float across the air. I loved that aspect of Prototype because it made getting around tons of fun. From Mass Effect you get a sort of "biotics" system where you can set people on fire, freeze them, or throw them around with telekinesis (there are more but I haven't unlocked them yet.) There's a great thrill involved with running up to the roof of an occupied building, jumping up from the side and throwing out an ice blast as you come down and freezing a half dozen enemies, then loading up a nail gun and shattering enemies in your wake.

I'm not abandoning GTA V forever though. Odds are I'll pick it up on PC after a price reduction and my backlog greatly diminishes. If they open that up to the mod community like they did with GTA 4, it will be amazing.

Hopefully they'll have more bugs ironed out by then, so I won't have to worry about going online and then suddenly losing my character FOREVER..

Last edited:
Sold my copy of GTA V yesterday. Almost got into an argument with the Gamestop clerk about why I didn't want to play it anymore. Kept talking about how great the story and characters were almost to the point where it seemed like he didn't want to accept the money I was offering him (They gave me $30 and they're going to sell it for $55.) My contention though was that I simply wasn't having fun, which is the primary reason that I and most others play a particular game.

Anyways, this video made me laugh. Bunch of guys on GTA:O decided to do a demolition derby..
On the top of a skyscraper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have they said when they plan on getting it out on the PC??
No. There's been no official announcement from Rockstar about it, so the idea that it's available before it's even been announced is a pretty big red flag that should have alerted people to something being up.

In breaking with regular tradition, GTA V has come out in Japan in a reasonable time window. Turns out though that a decent amount of editing has been done, and Kotaku made a short video about it. I couldn't believe the first example. It looks SOOO bad. I can only imagine what Japanese players thought when they saw it. NSFW

Looks like we may have GTA V on PC in March if this bug report is legit..

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/01/17/gta-5-bug-log-lists-pc-version-and-directx-11-effects/

I would have much rather played it there if they wouldn't have made us wait so long. I really liked the game and it could have been even better with some of that PC polish. I have had my fill of GTA for a while though. I would be perfectly content to wait another 5 years while they work on GTA VI.

Yeah I don't see myself jumping on this until my next Open World Binge, and I'm getting the feeling my current one will be dying out soon once I'm done with Tomb Raider. And also the game will have to be discounted to about $10 on a Steam sale.

Here's a clip of the guy who voiced Trevor. Pretty eerily similar.

Last edited by a moderator: