Roku 2

LocutusOfBorg

I have better things to do
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
USA
How does one separate the different Netflix profiles with this device? The Roku doesn't work like my Smart TV (in another room). Since I can't (?) select "Who's watching" with the Roku, a lot of kids stuff ends up in my Smart TV list - tends to clutter my viewing list.

How does one separate the different Netflix profiles with this device? The Roku doesn't work like my Smart TV (in another room). Since I can't (?) select "Who's watching" with the Roku, a lot of kids stuff ends up in my Smart TV list - tends to clutter my viewing list.
Only Roku3 supports it. They said the others eventually would, but that was well over a year ago.

I don't need a Roku 3 but if I have to go get one I guess I'll spend the money - cheaper than buying another Smart TV. I need a big raise.

Well, I ordered a Roku 3. Too bad I end up spending more money than I need to. It sucks to have to spend a bunch of time on the web looking at reviews before buying something. Sometimes reading reviews discourages you from buying anything.

Reactions: Yespage
got a streaming stick tonight for the bedroom and yes it does support Netflix profiles! guess I will move it to the den and put the Roku1 in the bedroom so my 6 year quits messing up my suggestions! LOL

Even Roku must consider Netflix profiles to be a big deal. On this page, they include that as one of the features when comparing the different options/models they have.

I'm running a bunch of Rokus. Two Roku 3s, one Roku 1, and I just got a Roku 2 to replace the 1 today (on an older TV; I needed the ethernet port). What's bad about Netflix on all of them at once is that you're all putting data into the Netflix recommendations metadata, which will then bombard you with suggestions of the "because you liked" nature. Profiles help this, but don't solve it. Check out this video. Unfortunately Netflix won't let you disable this feature just yet, but you can manage it by deleting profiles and starting new ones (since you would have to manually delete every title you viewed on your PC otherwise). Also, they are apparently beta-testing what's called "Privacy Mode", which would solve this problem, but only a very few users have access to this right now.

To the OP I would recommend buying something called the Netflix Instant Watch Browser (I'd recommend this anyway as it drastically opens up the number of movies you can browse through on Netflix without direct searching; it basically pulls the catalog from Netflix with the only downside being that you can't access the movies directly yet, you have to queue them up). It's only a few bucks and you can get this lite version free. This plus Netflix Queue will serve as a decent workaround for people like me, who don't want suggestions or my history tracked.

Or better yet, and if possible, give the Roku 2 to your kids and just use the Smart TV/separate profile for yourself. Or vice versa. Actually, now that I think about it, this is exactly what you need to do. Abandon your main profile to the kids and make your own separate on the Smart TV. Should work perfectly.

EDIT: Just realized OP has already bought a Roku 3. Oh well, this should be good for future reference anyway.

Last edited: