Roku "hidden" FREE international news channels (Al Jazeera/Euronews/Etc)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

TNGTony

Unashamed Bengal Fan
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
I have had Dish Network for over 14 years and have been wanting something like this for more than half that time.

Roku posted a link on their facebook page today that gives you FREE access to a ton of news international channels for FREE. The PQ isn't great, but it is about as good as Dish Network's feeds of other internationals I have seen. Some of the following are 16x9.

Al Arabiya (Arabic)

Al Jaseera (Arabic)
Al Jazeera (English) - Now also available on the Roku newscaster channel

BBC News
BBC Parliament (British version of C-SPAN)

Democratic Voice of Burma (Burmese)

Euronews (English)
Euronews (German)
Euronews (Spanish)
Euronews (French)
Euronews (Italian)
Euronews (Portuguese)
Euronews (Turkish)
Euronews (Russian)
Euronews (Arabic)

France 24 (English)
France 24 (French)
France 24 (Arabic)

Frontline Club (Offline when I tried it)

Intelligence (offline when I tried it)

NASA TV (already available in other places on Roku)

Nour TV (Farsi)

Press TV (English - Based in Teheran, Iran - the west and especially the US is the cause of all problems)

RT (dubbed from Russian to English)

UNHCR (offline when I tried it)

From the Roku forum
1-Add CDNTwo to your channel line-up found in the Channel Store under "News and Podcasts"

2. Link Player to CDNTwo Account (visit http://www.cdntwo.com and sign up for an account. Once you log in, you will see an option to link a device - found in your profile page. On your device, Select "configuration" option from CDNtwo on Roku Player to get activation code - link player to web).

3. Add a "New Category" from CDNTwo.com - we created a simple News category, but you can name it anything you want.

4. Select "Add Content" and click on Livestation.com

5. Select "My Categories" on Roku Player and you will now have access to Al Jazeera English and other live international news feeds.

CDNTwo.com is running very slow tonight and you may have to try several times to get the channel activated, but persistence paid off for me.

Follow-up FYI:
This "channel" seems to be choking on all the traffic. I can't keep a stream going for more than a couple of minutes now. The Al Jazeera channel in the newscaster is working fine though with only a couple of hickups.

It's part of the live station application. When you go into live station all the news networks above are listed. Follow the instructions at the end of the first post.
I am still having some problems with keeping a stream going for any length of time. And it does sometimes give me the error code. As of this instant it's okay.

Euronews is showing the mayhem in Egypt without commentary right now. Just picture and a location graphic

EDIT- at the top of the hour they went to headlines with the video of Egypt playing in a squeeze zoom on the side of the pix.

Checked it out last night, found the AJE broadcast was the same as on 97w sat, I tried France24 but couldn't connect.

Checked out RT (Russia Today), it was different than the 97w sat broadcast. It appears the sat signal has more US stuff (with programs using people on the fringe, anything to tear down the US - worse than MSNBC).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)