Roku is the box to get for christmas

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tomcrown1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
San Francisco
Roku maybe the box to beat. Hulu+ just went live on roku, they have netflix amazon on demand and now hulu+, what other box has all three as of today?

They have MLB and soon to get NHL.

How is the pq on Hulu Plus? I read they just dropped monthly rates to 7.95. Seems I remember that Netflix will drop it's rates for stream only sometime in the near future.

Will Netflix stream on Roku in 1080p (titles that would be available in 1080p)? I know that the new Roku will be 1080p compatible. I remember something about one of the apps having 1080p on Roku but can't remember about Netflix or other video streaming apps such as Hulu Plus.

If only Roku would get the network streaming implemented, it would be the perfect box...not sure they can though with the processor they have.

Roku is the best streaming box on the market at the moment.

With some software updates the new Boxee Box might quickly pass it.

This means more choices for us, and that a good thing!

Just installed Roku box for my daughter for Christmas. She is really happy with it and is having DTV removed this week. Big monthly savings for her tight budget. She has Netflix now and is planning to get Hulu+. What I saw was the box installed easily and worked as claimed. She had to have AT&T come out and fix their DSL with a "booster" to get the speed up, though. Didn't know they had that available for people who live a long way out in the country. Watched an HD movie on her Roku 15 minutes after unpacking it. No hesitation, buffering or image blocking. Quality was great. Revision 3 videos were a bit fuzzy and took a long time to access.

I gave it to her now rather than waiting for Christmas so she could save the DTV bill.

She must have a slow connection. Revision 3 stuff is almost instantaneous for me and looks pretty good.

Last edited:
I tried out the Hulu app last night on Roku last night. I am not a member of Hulu so I viewed a few of the samples. PQ was not very good. Not near the quality of Netflix or Amazon IMO. I will stick with Netflix for now.

HULU plus PQ improved when I signed up for the 2 week preview.. but it has less than a quarter of the content of regular HULU..it also has ADS!!

I tried Hulu plus last night on the Roku, then quickly cancelled. The HD PQ is not very good at all, and I can see why people say streaming is in no way near a threat to providers, yet. I'll just use Amazon HD for Top Gear and Walking Dead, it may cost but it looks good.

Also did some math last night, and it'd take me almost $40 to buy everything I watch in HD, so Directv is safe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts