ROKU Models

Is there any advantage of the Roku 3 over the 2 other than faster CPU and the remote? Trying to decide which one to get.

Is there any advantage of the Roku 3 over the 2 other than faster CPU and the remote? Trying to decide which one to get.

Get the 3 or you'll always wonder if it's better. It is. It'll pay for itself quickly enough, so is worth a few extra bucks.

Now the 3 ONLY has HDMI output, so if your tv can't handle that, you'd be better served to get the 2 that has other outputs.

I just upgraded from the roku 2 xd,to the roku 3,I really like the upgrade so far.If you watch for sales,you can get a roku3 as low as $65,refurbished.

After having the roku 3 any additions down the road would be the same as well. The others while good just don't compare imo.

My brother in law asked the same question. I reconnected the original Roku next to the R3 to compare. Its basically comparing a Lexus to the public bus.
R1 is limited in speed and space (can only have 8 channels added) whereas the R3 am up to 22 channels and more space. R3 has USB for your media and a card slot to add more space. Also has a wweeter interface which is very easy on the eyes, plus you can connect headphones to the remote which then mutes the TV. Another thing, the Youtube app links to most tablets etc which is cool.

For the little difference in price, you'd be kicking yourself if you dont get a 3.

Cheers, K

I reconnected the original Roku next to the R3 to compare.

A more relevant comparison would be comparing the current generation Roku 1 to the Roku 3. Both have the same amount of memory out of the box and can support the same number of channels. It is true that you can add more memory to the 3 with its MicroSD slot, but the average user won't need to do that. It is also true that there are a few channels such as YouTube that are not supported by the 1 or 2, only the 3. But the 1 and 2 support most of the major channels such as Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, Hulu+ Crackle and Pandora. And the RCA jacks which the 3 doesn't have can come in handy. I have my Roku 1 connected to my TV via HDMI and I use the RCA jacks to connect to my old amplifier that doesn't support digital inputs.

Last edited:
Kraven: I just noticed the spreadsheet in post #1 does not list the 2 XD as having HDMI. It does.

I put a 16gb microsd card in my Roku 3 and I have about 78 channels loaded, and it's only been online since this past Monday!

Yeah, I've been told anything over 2gb is overkill, but who doesn't have a bunch of spare microsd cards laying around? That one was handy...

I also set it on top of an old processor heatsink (with a bit of heatsink compound between them) I still had in a box, as it gets hot and I like devices such as this to stay as cool as I can get them. Now it stays dead cool.

I do not see the 3 being a must have, and as John262 points out the current generation 1 or 2 is actually more versatile for outputs. I have the 2 and it has Wifi as well. I get Youtube in so many other ways that I would use more, that not having it on the Roku isn't even a loss for me.

I'm still very happy with my 2XS and see no reason to "upgrade." Although, if I were to add another Roku, I'd get the 3.

I'm still very happy with my 2XS and see no reason to "upgrade." Although, if I were to add another Roku, I'd get the 3.

Me too. The 2XD I got free from Dish still does everything I need it to. Netflix, Amazon, MLB.tv, etc... I don't see any reason to upgrade but when I do I will buy the whatever the top end model is at that point seeing that the price isn't that much different.

2 of my favorite roku 3 features,opposed to the 2xs,wifi remote,it even works under the bed covers,and ethernet connection.

There something in the water I mean firmware with the 3, it just streams better & is faster than the others.

1 of my favorite features on the 3 is the ability to pair my ipad with the youtube channel. Makes searching a breeze.....

If a person is shopping for a roku then the 3 is the way to go, if just looking to replace a current model I can understand hesitancy in trying to justify that as well.

To think last year I sold my Roku 3 to buy a ATV which was good for 11 days then turned to crap for Netflix after November 9th, 2013. I ended up buying another Roku 3 and I am loving it. It has way more channels including Amazon Instant which the cruddy ATV does not even have.

I have no complaints with my Apple TV or my roku. The Apple TV gets used more because the roku is in my bedroom.

Roku3 / Roku Streaming Stick Comparison:

Roku Streaming Stick (3500)Launch: March 2014
Output: HDMI
Resolution: 720p/1080p
Remote: Wi-Fi Direct
Channel Memory: 256MB
Wireless: A/B/G/N dual-band
Processor: BCM­2835 600 MHz
USB Port: N0
Micro card slot: N0
Ethernet: No
Analog Audio: No

Roku 3 (4200)
Launch: March 2013
Output: HDMI
Resolution: 720p/1080p
Remote: Wi-Fi Direct
Channel Memory: 256MN
Wireless: A/B/G/N dual-band
Processor: BCM­11130 900 MHz
USB Port: Yes
Micro Card Slot: Yes
Ethernet: Yes
Analog Audio: Yes via Remote

Roku 2

I have a Roku 2 and it performs well, I gave my ATV to a family member, anticipating the new ATV supposedly out in April, and am interested in the new offering by Amazon(I have Prime), to be announced the 2nd. I have about 15 or 20 channels loaded still but use only a couple. Of course I still have Dish. It seems that most of the channels I have tried are either low resolution or have adds, both no no's for me. ron

There something in the water I mean firmware with the 3, it just streams better & is faster than the others.

1 of my favorite features on the 3 is the ability to pair my ipad with the youtube channel. Makes searching a breeze.....

If a person is shopping for a roku then the 3 is the way to go, if just looking to replace a current model I can understand hesitancy in trying to justify that as well.

That's the faster processor at work. Not only is the Roku 3 processor 300Mhz faster, but it's dual core.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts