ROKU XD BOXES: LESS ANTENNA MAYBE INSIDE?

radio

"On the Air" in MI
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2007
West Central Michigan
VERY happy ROKU user for a couple years....the "original" Roku with maximum 720p resolution, but EVERY conceivable connection available. Still working.

Thought I'd order a couple of the recent "Woot" special XD's, one to give, one for me so the original can be passed down to a bedroom set, and I can upgrade my resolution.

Tonite, after switching my new XD to run on "standard resolution" for a bit (older TV style)....it wouldn't reconnect to the wireless network. When it did, Netflix just kept burping saying, "checking connection." So, having a second one, I opened it, and IT wouldn't connect, either. So, I grabbed the original box, put it back in the living room, and with NO changes, she connected like she should!

So, my question to the assembled masses, (and yes, I've checked the ROKU forums themselves)......has anyone else had this kind of issue? It's obviously NOT a network or "signal available" issue if the original one can run, but two of the "newer" models cannot. I even did a full reset on one of the new ones back to factory, hoping for an upgrade in case there was an issue with an upgrade that could be fixed. As a rule, the newer unit(s) both took A LONG time to connect to the wireless, then even with proper WEP key, would not connect to the network, nor the internet. (steps 2 and 3 not working on the connection screen.)

So, I'm happily BACK on my original one.....and later tonite its, "Roku Roulette" to see if I can get one of the new ones to work when closer to the Access point.

Thoughts Welcomed!

Sometimes older is better!

EDIT/ADD

Put the XD in the bedroom, about 25 feet closer to the access point, and it seems to be "behaving" after having received its factory reset and being re-registered. However, the "signaL" is listed as "good" on this box, where the original larger box read "excellent" in the same location!

Last edited:
I've read somewhere others have had problems with wireless, I have two older rokus. You might want to try to connect to a different wireless network. From memory, I think with the high-end one you connect via wired, ensure it's been updated and then switch to wireless.

I have a Roku XR and a Roku 2 XS. The XR I never could get the wireless to work consistently. The XS's wireless was just terrible until the latest firmware update that was pushed mid-November I think? (The one prior to HBO Go.) I'm really not impressed with the antennas they put in these boxes.

I have the XD and although I admit I don't use the Roku a great deal right now...it does stream perfectly without any problems whatsoever. I'm on Time Warner Roadrunner 10/1 Internet connected by a Netgear wireless N gigabit router. Router is one floor below the Roku, and at least 25-30 ft away.

You may need to add a signal amp and larger antenna. I did that here and now I get great coverage all over the house and outside 100 ft into my back yard. Some wifi routers are more powerful than others. My Linksys was weak. I switched to a NetGear and it is better but the amp and larger antenna made the big difference. You can also get a repeater but I found they didn't work well of you are mobile like on an ipad. Repeaters should work OK for a fixed device like a Roku.

You may need to add a signal amp and larger antenna. I did that here and now I get great coverage all over the house and outside 100 ft into my back yard. Some wifi routers are more powerful than others. My Linksys was weak. I switched to a NetGear and it is better but the amp and larger antenna made the big difference. You can also get a repeater but I found they didn't work well of you are mobile like on an ipad. Repeaters should work OK for a fixed device like a Roku.

Just to clarify, (and thanks for all the replies.)

The XD was put in exactly the same place as the ORIGINAL ROKU model and could not perform. Couldn't connect! Same network, same (existing) amp and directional antenna aimed at the intended area. It wouldn't work. This newer XD box was bought to upgrade to full HD in the living room, and by necessity had to be moved to a room closer to the the 15db directional antenna and Hawking 2.4gig outgoing signal amp. It then worked. Still says, "checking connection" more frequently than the original model. Swapping BACK to the original one in the same location rendered the same quality service I've always had from my ROKU box.

Thus, in my observations only, newer, smaller and "improved" is not always anything other than "newer," given the only variable was the change in ROKU box model. There were no other variables from which to judge the results or cloud the problem with possible multiple causes.

Hmm, I was debating the Roku 2 XD vs XS, because I have Ethernet and a 4port hub at my tv stand. I might play it save and use Ethernet. I actually do not have any devices on wifi except for an old Roku HD I got via refurb at Woot, and it's in the bathroom.

Im doing away with my TiVo and only need a model for Amazon VOD, because if I miss a TV show I pick them up there. Im actually supplying the 4port hub with a powerline adapter and it works well, speed is the same as wifi (5.6 down with a 6mbps dsl account).

My first ROKU I played it safe and got the XS in case it did not stream well wirelessly. I have had no problems with it at all. The 2nd ROKU I got the XD and it has had no problems either. I just got a third ROKU this week - another XD - and we have no problems with it either. No problems connecting or playing on any of them.

Well, I broke down and bought the Roku 2 XD that was on Gold box two days ago. Set it up tonight in the bedroom, right next to my Roku XD. The 2 actually has full SS bars while older one is one less from full. So, at least in my case, the Roku 2 performs better. Plays back Amazon VOD and Nflix in HD without issue, on a ATT DSL 6mbps connection.

I've found that somtimes things work and sometimes they don't. Found we had noise on our phone line that was causing enough variable with the dsl signal that my wife was having serious issues connecting to her emploers vpn. We couldn't stream at all while she was working. VZ came out replaced metwork interface, dsl filter, and checked connections on pole. Like nigjtandday. Herconnections arw rock solid and we can stream at thesame time.
We wouldn't haverealized there was a problem if she hadn't had one.
Even wireless devices r working better.
So the lesson os check everything you can. One small fault on the system can create a big problem.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

I've found that somtimes things work and sometimes they don't. Found we had noise on our phone line that was causing enough variable with the dsl signal that my wife was having serious issues connecting to her emploers vpn. We couldn't stream at all while she was working. VZ came out replaced metwork interface, dsl filter, and checked connections on pole. Like nigjtandday. Herconnections arw rock solid and we can stream at thesame time.
We wouldn't haverealized there was a problem if she hadn't had one.
Even wireless devices r working better.
So the lesson os check everything you can. One small fault on the system can create a big problem.

Well put!

I was watching the "life on Mars" TV series on the Roku 2. It had subtitles available, which I prefer as I'm a bit hard of hearing. I tried watching the same program and same episode on Roku 1 and it did not offer subtitles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)