XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
roku-xds-pic.sflb.ashx

Since Roku XDS has won the SatelliteGuys Best of 2010 Award among all Internet Streamers, I think it makes sense to start a thread dedicated to this box. I've got one a couple of weeks ago, and must say, I really love it! The box is tiny: smaller than a stack of 3 CDs. But for its size and its price of under $100, it packs a lot of features:

1080p video over HDMI! Granted, there are not too many sources in 1080p on the Internet yet, but the box is future-proof in that regard.

In addition to HDMI, the XDS also offers composite and component video outputs, as well as an optical Toslink for digital audio. (The component output requires a special type of connector though). So, you can connect it to virtually any TV set in your house, even any older SD model.

In addition to wired Ethernet, this Roku also has built-in Wi-Fi with extended-range Wireless-N (b/g/n compatible) and even supports the latest dual-band wireless technology.

The box also has a USB port for playing photos, music, and videos from flash drives or external hard drives.

And it comes with a simple remote for on-screen menu navigation, which, among other things, has an instant replay button! (I am actually using Harmony remote instead.)

Although I've purchased this Roku box primarily for Netflix streaming, I am really amazed with the variety of channels available on Roku, including a lot of free choices. For those who are not familiar with Roku, what they refer to as "channels" are not like TV channels: more like apps on the iPhone. You select from the channels listed in their Channel Store or get unlisted ("private") channel by entering special codes on the Roku website.

These channels/apps offer anything from streaming video (Netflix, Amazon, Hulu+, YouTube, etc.), streaming audio (like Pandora or even live radio stations from all over the world), to things like Picasa photo albums, Facebook or even some games. Roku opened its platform to third-party developers, so you don't have to rely on just channels officially offered by Roku: you can also install/enable various private channels. For example, Roku still doesn't officially offer YouTube or even its own USB drive reader, but private channels that do that are already available and work fine.

Anyway, these are just some quick comments. If you have any questions or if you want to share your own experience with this and other Roku models - please feel free to post here.

I have the Roku XD now for about a Month. Back then they had a 20% off deal which was hard to pass up. It took about 10-15 minutes to set up. I did sign up for the 30 day trial of Hulu Plus as soon as I got the unit. There are and were minor quirks and the 2.9 upgrade did help a little. With Hulu I noticed on Wireless that going from commercials back to program that sometimes I would get a last video freeze frame for like 3 seconds or so into program. Sometime I got a lip sync issue too when program comes back from commercial in the manner that it does. These two symptoms now don't always happen but in one hour show it may happen like 3 times at least when it does. Subsequently for Christmas someone gave me a 6 month gift certificate for Netflix and of the movies I seen so far Roku has worked flawlessly. One thing I noticed with Hulu is that it works better (noticed I said better and not perfect) on a wired connection than wireless. I am using an Asus WL-520GU with Tomato Firmware v1.28.7616 -Toastman ND USB Ext. As of yet no one has been able to tell me if there is any optimization tricks with the wireless Advance Settings section that would enhance streaming via wireless using Tomato Firmware. I not using any QOS on my 3 PC with Voip network. I don't do any major downloads like Torrent and stuff like that. My internet provider is Verizon Fios 20 meg down and 5 meg up.
I been testing Roku with PlayON and Tversity software which both must be hosted on a fairly powerful PC. Both PlayON and Tversity allow you to add channels as you would see these channels on the PC screen on the Roku unit. In some cases it not an ideal solution but its works out fairly well. Channels offered in the Channel store as Roku calls it are considered Public Channels and if you are given a code for a Private channel you must log in to the Roku web site and put the code there and the private channel gets added to your Roku unit fairly quickly. I find though there is a limit to how many channels you can add because I have about 28 different ones and sometimes I get a memory issue popup message but I ok it and continue with what I was doing.
Things I like about Roku
-Simple Remote (No Keyboard and Mouse Required)
-Small foot print of unit
-Decent picture quality
-Recall function of recently viewed and resume function when you need to stop in the middle of a show or movie then come back later to continue watching.
-Seems like channels are being added in the last month since I got the unit.

Things I don't like...
-The commercial freeze frame issue.
-The memory pop up issue but it seldom happens when I add or delete a channel I not going to use or will want .
-Since Roku supports H.264 and WMV9 there is no way to add your own live streaming links to watch. Like I like to watch live windows media based greek tv stations from a subscription based service called greekiptv and there is no mini browser to log in to get to the TV station links. Or even open free streaming links for that matter.
-Wireless performance iffy when viewing Hulu Plus
Only had the unit for 32 days now so these are all I can think of now.

In my research of all the settop boxes I think Roku had the better of the products but it very limited to what channels are offered. So research and make sure the public and private channels available offered will suite your needs. I really consider this technology first generation. If you looking for a "complete" viewing experience like you come to expect on a PC your better off with a HTPC but of course you have to have a KB and Mouse to use that effectively in your main TV viewing area.

I not sure what else to say about my Roku XD. I think it's a decent unit overall with some minor quirks that I notice with Hulu Plus. Wished it somehow had ability to add your own subscription service like the one I mentioned or even open free streaming links maybe even with a PVR function. Presently, I think Roku is like the best way to go if you can't afford anything else and you want to cut or lower your other subscriptions to traditional television.
For now these are my thoughts about Roku.

On my roku hulu+ works great over wireless. I do have a 50mb down and 20mb up service from comcast.

One of the private channels will get you all of the Los angles stations. I do not think it is legal so I will not post a link to the code for this station, I just wanted to let folks know something like this is available.

Bought my daughter one for Christmas and she just loves it. Better PQ than her DirecTV receiver on SD channels.

She called to cancel her DirecTV service and when she told them she was replacing with Netflix and the Roku box, DirecTV gave her another 3 months FREE service to think it over. They tried to scare her telling her the Netflix would be unreliable but she has had it for a month now and it hasn't failed once.

I love my Roku box - I've recently added Sirius/XM to it from the Private Channels as well (must be a subscriber)... I am losing my Distant Network feed today that used to be on Dish Network so if anyone could send me a note regarding the code for the Private Channel for the LA stations, I'd appreciate it...

I love my Roku box - I've recently added Sirius/XM to it from the Private Channels as well (must be a subscriber)... I am losing my Distant Network feed today that used to be on Dish Network so if anyone could send me a note regarding the code for the Private Channel for the LA stations, I'd appreciate it...
there is a yahoo group that can help u there..they have a list of "private" channels " u need a yahoo account..then go to yahoo groups and look up "RokuDigitalVideoPlayer · Roku Digital Video Player user's group "

The LA network channels have been blocked due to a court order. I knew this was not legal and it did not take long for a cease and decease order was issused.

I was thinking about getting a roku xd and was wanting to read more information about it.
Did their website address change? I have not been able to access that site for sometime now.

I bought the original ROKU box about a year ago. All worked well until recently when I moved it. The box would no longer recognize my wireless network. Tried everything possible and finally found out there is a hardware problem with the original boxes. Called ROKU and they replaced it with the XDS. The XDS seems to recognize wireless fine (so far).

The problem I have now is that I use it in a location where I don't have a HDMI hookup, only component hookups. As stated by the OP, the XDS has a non-standard component connection on the back, using a 3.5mm plug on the box. You have to order this from ROKU, which doesn't ever have them in stock, or has a cable "package" for $20+ that includes the needed cable. It's been a bitch finding an alternative, but I have found something else that others say works with a little tweaking.

http://www.itdirec.com/Creative-Zen...deo-Composite-Cable-TV-Out-Straight-P530.aspx

It's been on order for 10 days now. The RED RCA jack goes to Y or GREEN RCA input, the WHITE RCA jack goes to Pb or BLUE RCA input, and the YELLOW RCA jack goes to Pr or RED RCA input. When it finally arrives, hopefully it will work.

Last edited:
I bought the original ROKU box about a year ago. All worked well until recently when I moved it. The box would no longer recognize my wireless network. Tried everything possible and finally found out there is a hardware problem with the original boxes. Called ROKU and they replaced it with the XDS. The XDS seems to recognize wireless fine (so far).

The problem I have now is that I use it in a location where I don't have a HDMI hookup, only component hookups. As stated by the OP, the XDS has a non-standard component connection on the back, using a 3.5mm plug on the box. You have to order this from ROKU, which doesn't ever have them in stock, or has a cable "package" for $20+ that includes the needed cable. It's been a bitch finding an alternative, but I have found something else that others say works with a little tweaking.

Creative Zen Vision:M / Vision M Generic AV Audio Video Composite Cable TV Out Straight

It's been on order for 10 days now. The RED RCA jack goes to Y or GREEN RCA input, the WHITE RCA jack goes to Pb or BLUE RCA input, and the YELLOW RCA jack goes to Pr or RED RCA input. When it finally arrives, hopefully it will work.

Couldn't you just get an HDMI to Component converter?

Couldn't you just get an HDMI to Component converter?
I looked for that first but had a hard time finding something that was confirmed to work with the XDS and wasn't just as expensive as the ROKU cable package (or more).

Anyway, I finally got the cable I mentioned above (Creative Zen Vision:M / Vision M Generic AV Audio Video Composite Cable TV Out Straight), hooked it up red to green (Y), white to blue (Pb), and rellow to red (Pr). I can confirm that at a cost of less than $9 (including shipping) it works perfectly and is a cheaper alternative to the ROKU cable, and more available.

Last edited:
I looked for that first but had a hard time finding something that was confirmed to work with the XDS and wasn't just as expensive as the ROKU cable package (or more).

Anyway, I finally got the cable I mentioned above (Creative Zen Vision:M / Vision M Generic AV Audio Video Composite Cable TV Out Straight), hooked it up red to green (Y), white to blue (Pb), and rellow to red (Pr). I can confirm that at a cost of less than $9 (including shipping) it works perfectly and is a cheaper alternative to the ROKU cable, and more available.

Awesome!! :up

Didn't realize the converters were so expensive.....

The Official Roku USB Media Player is now released!

Until now only third-party ("private channel") USB players were available for Roku XD|S.

The official Roku USB player is now available in the Channel Store.

The following media file formats are supported:

Video — MKV (H.264), MP4 (H.264), MOV (H.264), WMV/ASF (WMV9/VC-1)

Music — AAC, MP3

Photo — JPG, PNG

ASF/WMV files encoded in WMV9 can be displayed at a maximum resolution of 480p. MP4, MOV and MKV files encoded in H.264 and ASF/WMV files encoded in VC-1 can be displayed at a maximum resolution of 1080p.

Dolby Digital in MKV, MP4 and MOV movies is supported via pass through only. DTS in MKV movies is supported via pass through only. You must connect your Roku player via HDMI or S/PDIF (optical) to a TV or receiver capable of decoding Dolby Digital or DTS in order to hear videos with audio tracks in those formats.

You must connect your Roku player via HDMI or S/PDIF (optical) to a TV or receiver capable of decoding Dolby Digital or DTS in order to hear videos with audio tracks in those formats.
Geez...
Even the first generation PopcornHour (A100; using SMP 8635, IIRC, circa 2007) was capable of decoding DD (but not DTS).

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)