ROKU XS

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
My wife surprised me with a ROKU XS for Christmas.

First Impression: I LOVE IT!!!

I know several people who already had one and said they never use it anymore. I on the other hand am addicted and can't stop watching. I'm impressed by the large selection of channels offering free TV shows, movies, music videos, food channels, weather, games, etc.

Just some of the programming we have watched during the past week:
  • Little Rascals
  • Life of Riley (1949)
  • The School of Life - Movie
  • The Story Lady - Movie
  • Wife watched multiple episodes of The Food Lady and The Fly Lady
  • Geek Beat (Watched multiple episodes) Love this show!
  • Petticoat Junction - TV
  • My Favorite Martian - TV
  • The Three Stooges - TV
  • Old TV Commercials
  • B&W Name That Tune - TV
  • Old Betty White Talk Show - TV
  • Played Angry Birds multiple times

I'm thinking about subscribing once again to HULU Plus for even more programming choices.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I give the ROKU XS streaming device a solid 9 leaving a little room for improvement which could include additional channel choices and a modified GUI to allow channel switching without scrolling left or right through so many channels.

Reopened my Hulu Plus subscription this morning. I noticed several new additions since I cancelled about a year ago. With Dish Network increasing their fees this is a great way to save money while still being able to enjoy the programming we like to watch.

Congrats! It is the device that I use the most in my TV setup.

I believe this will be so for me as well. The one thing the still irritates me about Hulu Plus is that many shows are still "web only" due to them not having the rights to stream the program. Also CBS programming would be nice.

Popcorn, I got a Roku XS before Christmas. Then got my brother and son one as well. I was disappointed that some of the stuff is only clips not full episodes. You don't know it til you go to watch the program. But it's free tv.

I just got my Roku HD today and like popcorn I am happy with mine. Added some channels and now have "TheCoolTV" back (lost it when Sinclair Broadcasting dumped it for non payment)

I just got my Roku HD today and like popcorn I am happy with mine. Added some channels and now have "TheCoolTV" back (lost it when Sinclair Broadcasting dumped it for non payment)

Excellent replacement for reduced FTA in the new apartment. Roku also offers several other good video music channels including Virgin TV, Next Music, Country and 2 British music channels.

Upgraded my Roku 2 XS tonight by purchasing a Lexar 8GB microSDHC memory card ($15 Target). Once installed it formatted and became available for saving games and additional apps.

I do like some of the "religious" channels on there because they have video on demand or a family channel that plays non religious shows (like TCT Family)

I'll just attach it here instead of a new thread.
So last night I tune to BYUTV for the basketball game. Yeah you have to create an account (no biggie) but both Directv and Dish have it in SD with bars on top and bottom of screen
Roku has it in HD :)

Only thing is when viewing the live stream you cant do anything other than play it.

Yep. The "skip back" is awkward, at best. That's why I prefer BDs, DVDs and downloads, in that order.

I would like everyones opinion of the Roku? I am going to get a Roku 2 but what is the pro and cons of it other than what is posted in this thread? Thanks for any help :)

I've got the top of the line and am quite happy with it. So is my wife, to perhaps Dish's expense.

RED GREEN! ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)