Roof Mount question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

AllStarGuard

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Central Illinois
First, a short narrative on my situation. My first install was about a month and a half ago. It was solid for three weeks then I lost all HD channels. Had an installer out here and he said my roof was bad (told my wife this) and mounted another brace and left. Last week I lost all HD channels again and the braces are pulling out of the roof.

The house is 107 years old and does not have a solid sheet roof. There are planks or slats that the shingles are nailed to. There are also 3 layers of roofing. I would replace the shingles, but the outermost layer is in really good condition.

I just cut a hole in a closet and can see where the dish was mounted. I went ahead and screwed 3/4" plywood up so that the installer can use the existing holes with longer bolts.

I believe this whole thing is going to be temporary until I can find a good spot in my yard to sink a pole.

My question is, does the installer carry longer lag screws for thicker roofs? Or should I go out and buy them before he gets here this afternoon.

Thank you in advance.
Mike

the longest that direct reccomends for the ka/ku is 3 1/2" so that is what we carry... any thing longer needed then yes i would pick some up

Are you saying that the roof is a cedar slat roof with shingles over it?

If so the idiot installer should have never put the dish on the roof to begin with.

First, a short narrative on my situation. My first install was about a month and a half ago. It was solid for three weeks then I lost all HD channels. Had an installer out here and he said my roof was bad (told my wife this) and mounted another brace and left. Last week I lost all HD channels again and the braces are pulling out of the roof.

The house is 107 years old and does not have a solid sheet roof. There are planks or slats that the shingles are nailed to. There are also 3 layers of roofing. I would replace the shingles, but the outermost layer is in really good condition.

I just cut a hole in a closet and can see where the dish was mounted. I went ahead and screwed 3/4" plywood up so that the installer can use the existing holes with longer bolts.

I believe this whole thing is going to be temporary until I can find a good spot in my yard to sink a pole.

My question is, does the installer carry longer lag screws for thicker roofs? Or should I go out and buy them before he gets here this afternoon.

Thank you in advance.
Mike
I try to find these things out when I precall my jobs. Any customer who knows this( Scuh as yourself knowing there is a roof issue) would probably let me know. In that case a quick trip to Lowes is in order. I will buy the lag screws. NOt having the proper stuff is no excuse for missing an install

The roof has standard asphalt shingles about 3 layers deep and the rather than sheeting over the joists there are slats that the old shakes probably used to be affixed to.

Well, he was able to secure the mount a heck of a lot better than the last installer. Actually the guy that came yesterday told me that the last guy refused to come out because he already told us that our roof was bad. Had he given me a call I would have explained the situation to him.

All looks good now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)