Roof mount?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
My installer was a complete lowsy no good SOB on my dishmover, he installed it at about 9pm, put the dish on a temporary non-pen mount with no bricks to keep it in place, the he laid the non-burial rated cable on the grass and put a barrel on the existing wiring on the outside and didn't ground it either! That cheapskate must of used no more then 25' of coax, it looked like it came off another install. The next day I came out in the sunlight and realized he didn't even put the 3 LNB (dammit) screws in on my dish 1000 either, the feedhorns could come loose at anytime! He was drinking on the job too! Left a coor bottle next to the dish, I thought something was wrong with him.

I'd send off an email to ceo@echostar.com and have his rear but the thing is, it was me that installed it !! :devil:

Did you get to QC that job as well? :hatsoff:

Sounds like the guy that did my install. But he just screwed the superdish mast into a 2'x2' section of plywood and layed a couple of those patio pavers on it. Plus I think he was drnking Miller Lite cause it tates great and is less filling.

Then you don't sign the work order. If you're specific that you don't want a roof mount and then he does it anyway, I would say you have a valid damage claim. However, if you sign the work order agreeing that the work is done to your satisfaction, then you're S.O.L.

I wasn't here. My wife was. She knows about as much about dish installations as you do about emergency room nursing. The way I see it customers should not have to be knowledgeable in dish installations in order to know when the tech screwed up before signing anything. That's what the installer gets paid for. Using the fact that someone signed anything isn't a get out of carp free card for a bust of a job.

That was nice to know the first 15 times you posted it.....

Then don't read my posts. No one is holding a gun to your head. It's funny how installers can whiz and moan about customers, make borderline racist comments and generalizations about them, and get po'd because of legitimate issues (TC's) because of bad installations but whoa unto the customer that says something ill of any half-hack installer or a their shoddy workmanship. Then again if you didn't write the carp you are posting now other potential customers viewing the forums wouldn't be so well informed as to make certain the same half arsed jobs don't happen to them.

And you guys wonder why so many people read the Installers Section. They're looking at the images you guys post of those same installers and reading the skunked up comments you make about your customers. Good job guys, keep up the great work.

:up

Our installer slapped ours on the roof, even after we mentioned that we didn't want it on the roof. He had other viable options other than using the roof but he also seemed like he was in a hurry to begin with and went with the quickest option. Of course he also ran the wires inside of our gutter as well which makes for real fun in autumn. At another point in the install he spliced the existing cable connection outside and used a barrel connector between the dish and inside of the house.
Why did you allow this to happen..its your hose....Your house ,your rules..If a homeowner insists on a placement other than his roof, so as long as the roof is NOT the only good placement, so be it..
If signed off on the job ,you're up sh*t's creek..Signing means you approve the job.

I have read many of your posts..I get the distinct impression that you have a either a major supriority complex in that you think everyone is incompetent, or you just hate satellite techs..
Tell ya what, do the work yourself if think you are so good at it.

I wasn't here. My wife was. She knows about as much about dish installations as you do about emergency room nursing. The way I see it customers should not have to be knowledgeable in dish installations in order to know when the tech screwed up before signing anything. That's what the installer gets paid for. Using the fact that someone signed anything isn't a get out of carp free card for a bust of a job.

Then don't read my posts. No one is holding a gun to your head. It's funny how installers can whiz and moan about customers, make borderline racist comments and generalizations about them, and get po'd because of legitimate issues (TC's) because of bad installations but whoa unto the customer that says something ill of any half-hack installer or a their shoddy workmanship. Then again if you didn't write the carp you are posting now other potential customers viewing the forums wouldn't be so well informed as to make certain the same half arsed jobs don't happen to them.

And you guys wonder why so many people read the Installers Section. They're looking at the images you guys post of those same installers and reading the skunked up comments you make about your customers. Good job guys, keep up the great work.

:up
then CALL DISH AND REQUEST A REINSTALL!!!!

Lots of reasons to avoid roof mounts. As long as you have Line O fSight there is no reason for it.

But one important reason is if you are in a region that gets snow. Every so often the wind will hit it just right to pack snow into the dish. Now you have no picture until you can clear the snow from your dish.

And I don't know about your house, but the winds are stronger going over my roof then down lower. Just had a big rain and wind storm go through. My OTA Antenna was spun around a bit (fortunately on a rotor so I can correct it). My satellite dishes stayed in place, but if they hadn't they are where I can simply reach and reaim them.

Last edited:
unfortunately, a lot of builders dont make the fascia very sturdy, and are not always a good option to mount anything with a wind load on it

around here there are quite a few that just stick some 1x4's on the face, wrap it with metal, and call it done. You mount to that, and it is pretty much guaranteed that either the bolts will pull out of the wood, or the 1x4 will fall off first time we get high winds
I took my time. I have a wood face (T-111) on my house. When I bolted the mount I went through the face and into stud. I used those expanding lead hole liners for the lag bolts. With all the ice and snow storms in northeast Ohio this year I haven't had any problems. To each his own. I enjoyed doing the work myself and peaking it in with one of those cheap signal meters.

Then you should have been there. This isn't an issue of knowing about the satellite system. It's a simple "I don't want it there" issue. If you told your wife don't let them put it on the roof and they did, you should have been called by her and she could tell you they are putting it on the roof and you could tell her not to sign anything agreeing to that install.

Nothing ticks me off more than the decision-maker not being present for the install. I don't play the husband says-wife says game. Whoever signs the work order is "the decider." Most install work orders I see clearly state that by signing you agree to the method of installation and are satisfied with the work performed in its entirety. Take some responsibility. By not preventing him from putting the dish up there, you share some of the responsibility. It's like watching a drunk getting in a car and you do nothing. Is there no shred of guilt on your conscience when he kills a family of four?

I used Ridgid Conduit to make a through-the-roof dish mast (I think it was 1 1/4" Ridgid Conduit, it's been a few years since I did this). I used a weather proof rubber boot with metal flange to seal it from weather, the same kind roofers use for plumbing vents, gas exhaust vents, etc. The bottom of the ridgid conduit is secured with a threaded pipe flange screwed to a peice of 2x8 in my attic. I drilled a hole in the 2x that aligns with the center of the pipe flange so that I can run the coax down the ridgid conduit and directly into my attic. It's never leaked and the ridgid conduit has remained strong and perfectly plumb for five years now.
The dish installer won't do all of this for you, but if you're handy yourself it's a nice option. If you're interested in taking on such a project, I could try to post pictures of mine.

I used Ridgid Conduit to make a through-the-roof dish mast (I think it was 1 1/4" Ridgid Conduit, it's been a few years since I did this). I used a weather proof rubber boot with metal flange to seal it from weather, the same kind roofers use for plumbing vents, gas exhaust vents, etc. The bottom of the ridgid conduit is secured with a threaded pipe flange screwed to a peice of 2x8 in my attic. I drilled a hole in the 2x that aligns with the center of the pipe flange so that I can run the coax down the ridgid conduit and directly into my attic. It's never leaked and the ridgid conduit has remained strong and perfectly plumb for five years now.
The dish installer won't do all of this for you, but if you're handy yourself it's a nice option. If you're interested in taking on such a project, I could try to post pictures of mine.

I would like to see some pics, bunches of them. Thanks

Another reason to avoid roof mount... aesthetics...

Aesthetics is a matter of personal opinion but I've always found ground/post mount less noticeable and distracting than any appendage stuck to the roof/side of the house.

Depending on where the dish is located on the yard (behind bushes, fences...) , one may not be able to see it at all. I've actually saw an install where the dish was painted green and it was nearly impossible to pick it out against a wooded background from a distance.

Take a walk around your property with a compass and consider ALL installation options.

Aesthetics is a matter of personal opinion but I've always found ground/post mount less noticeable and distracting than any appendage stuck to the roof/side of the house.

Depending on where the dish is located on the yard (behind bushes, fences...) , one may not be able to see it at all. I've actually saw an install where the dish was painted green and it was nearly impossible to pick it out against a wooded background from a distance.

Take a walk around your property with a compass and consider ALL installation options.

I did not realize that lotsa folks don't like the appearance of the dishes till I joined this forum. I think they look cool.

I like to maintain a clean appearance from the curb.
That's why I did the through-the-roof mast in the back. It's just high enough for great reception but low enough that it can't be seen from the street. I don't like other utility vents poking through the front pitch of the roof either.

Now I'm trying to come up with a way to mount an outdoor antenna in a discrete manner. I'm getting the new 722 tomorrow. Since it'll record a third OTA channel I need a good signal for that input. The rabbit ears are just not gonna do.

I like to maintain a clean appearance from the curb.
That's why I did the through-the-roof mast in the back. It's just high enough for great reception but low enough that it can't be seen from the street. I don't like other utility vents poking through the front pitch of the roof either.

Now I'm trying to come up with a way to mount an outdoor antenna in a discrete manner. I'm getting the new 722 tomorrow. Since it'll record a third OTA channel I need a good signal for that input. The rabbit ears are just not gonna do.

Try an attic mount. You are going to like the way you can record three channels at one time. I use it all the time.

Attachments

• OTA Antenna.JPG
    OTA Antenna.JPG
    332.1 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Try an attic mount. You are going to like the way you can record three channels at one time. I use it all the time.

Have you used the Antenna Web antenna selection guide to determine the color codes and direction of you OTA local broadcast stations? I checked my location to find that most of the channels I'm interested in are code yellow and one is code blue (but will be yellow next Feb). And they're Compass Heading is from 45 to 67 degrees.

The reason I ask is because I can only apply your opinion of your antenna's performance, if your broadcast profile is similar to mine. I like that setup you have in the attic. I'd like to be able to do something similar. Otherwise, there's the big UHF/VHF/FM directional antenna on a outside mast.

But then again, I guess ghosting isn't an issue with digital broadcasts.

Last edited:
Take a look at the square shooters, they are just a square about a 1'x1', you could mount it to the existing through the roof mast. I installed one for my uncle, he's about 40 miles as the crow flies from the transmitters and has an awesome signal.

Have you used the Antenna Web antenna selection guide to determine the color codes and direction of you OTA local broadcast stations? I checked my location to find that most of the channels I'm interested in are code yellow and one is code blue (but will be yellow next Feb). And they're Compass Heading is from 45 to 67 degrees.

The reason I ask is because I can only apply your opinion of your antenna"s performance, if your broadcast profile is similar to mine. I like that setup you have in the attic. I'd like to be able to do something similar. Otherwise, there's the big UHF/VHF/FM directional antenna on a outside mast.

But then again, I guess ghosting isn't an issue with digital broadcasts.

Yes, I used Antenna Web selection guide. I selected for digital channels only and the results are 9 channels (6 yellow, 1 green, 1 lite green, & 1 blue), 20 to 37 miles away. Compass heading ranges from 246 to 270 degrees. I took a chance and installed a UHF antenna and amp only, no VHF. I am hoping when the big switch happens that most of the stations in my area will stay UHF. From my understanding some could switch to VHF. So you may want to research your area to see if they are going to stay UHF or VHF or probably, there will be both. Whatever you select try it out without an amp first. I receive good signal strength and it is pretty much the same with or without the amp. The HD picture quality is outstanding. I use it all the time to record when I need to record three things at the same time. Here is the antenna and amp I have web sites.

Antennas Direct | DB4 The Best HDTV Antenna on the Market
Channel Master CM 7775 Titan2 UHF Preamplifier with Power Supply (CM7775) | Channel Master*CM7775

Yes, I used Antenna Web selection guide. I selected for digital channels only and the results are 9 channels (6 yellow, 1 green, 1 lite green, & 1 blue), 20 to 37 miles away. Compass heading ranges from 246 to 270 degrees. I took a chance and installed a UHF antenna and amp only, no VHF. I am hoping when the big switch happens that most of the stations in my area will stay UHF. From my understanding some could switch to VHF. So you may want to research your area to see if they are going to stay UHF or VHF or probably, there will be both. Whatever you select try it out without an amp first. I receive good signal strength and it is pretty much the same with or without the amp. The HD picture quality is outstanding. I use it all the time to record when I need to record three things at the same time. Here is the antenna and amp I have web sites.

Antennas Direct | DB4 The Best HDTV Antenna on the Market
Channel Master CM 7775 Titan2 UHF Preamplifier with Power Supply (CM7775) | Channel Master*CM7775

Well, I'm only 13mi from the furthest local broadcast that I'm interested in. One reviewer of the DB4 like yours said it was too good and he had to orient it towards the ground because he was only 7mi from the broadcast. I think I'm going to try the TERRESTRIAL DIGITAL DB2 from Newegg. I can get it for less than $50 shipped and it would be an easy install.

The Dish installers that showed up yesterday to deliver and install my 722 receiver and 1000.2 dish, immediately took pics of my dish mast because they wanted to document that it was a pre-existing mast. They were concerned about their QC guys and covering their butts. I thought to myself, "How ridiculous. My mast is way more substantial than anything you guys would install".
Anyway, I like this receiver! The GUI is so much nicer than my old 5XX PVR receivers. I can't appreciate the HD yet. I was too busy this week to order my HDMI & Comonent cables from Monoprice. The 6ft HDMI cable the installer had wouldn't cut it for the 12ft distance between my tv and receiver. Oh well, next weekend.

p.s.
Thanks for the suggestion, rcdallas, but I think I'll do well to keep it simpler and at half the cost.

Well, I'm only 13mi from the furthest local broadcast that I'm interested in. One reviewer of the DB4 like yours said it was too good and he had to orient it towards the ground because he was only 7mi from the broadcast. I think I'm going to try the TERRESTRIAL DIGITAL DB2 from Newegg. I can get it for less than $50 shipped and it would be an easy install.

The Dish installers that showed up yesterday to deliver and install my 722 receiver and 1000.2 dish, immediately took pics of my dish mast because they wanted to document that it was a pre-existing mast. They were concerned about their QC guys and covering their butts. I thought to myself, "How ridiculous. My mast is way more substantial than anything you guys would install".
Anyway, I like this receiver! The GUI is so much nicer than my old 5XX PVR receivers. I can't appreciate the HD yet. I was too busy this week to order my HDMI & Comonent cables from Monoprice. The 6ft HDMI cable the installer had wouldn't cut it for the 12ft distance between my tv and receiver. Oh well, next weekend.

p.s.
Thanks for the suggestion, rcdallas, but I think I'll do well to keep it simpler and at half the cost.

Well, I think your roof dish mount is pretty cool. Let us know how everything works out for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)