Roof...or a REALLY high pole???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Morecowbell75

Original poster
Jun 7, 2015
New York
Hi All:

The installer is coming out on Friday. I had a buddy with a meter take a look today and I only have 2 spots on my property where I can get a line of sight:

1) On the roof, near the location of a 15 year old dish left by the former owner that is not in use. Photo of this is attached. It is my understanding that an installer won't go up there. Is this correct or might they re-use the existing mount with the new dish???

2) In my yard, about 20 feet back from the house, on a pole that is 8 to 10 feet high (not including how deep in the ground it is)

I am willing to do anything...i'll even buy and install the pole myself.

Advice????

Attachments

• dtv.jpg
    dtv.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 263
Home Depot or Lowe should have 'em. It's the pole diameter that is important. Off hand I don't know the diameter DirecTV clamps fit on.

a pole 8-10' out of the ground is going to move like crazy even under a breeze. if you had and plans of building something there (garage, shed, play structure?), you may be able to attach a mount of some sort to that instead. either an S-tube or universal mount. failing that, you may have to sacrifice a tree or two if you *really* want D*.

pole needs to be 2" OD btw. people seem to have trouble finding that size for some reason.

Home Depot or Lowe should have 'em. It's the pole diameter that is important. Off hand I don't know the diameter DirecTV clamps fit on.
Neither Lowes nor Home Depot carry poles with a 2" od unless they have some fence posts. My local stores didn't a few years back, haven't checked lately. The closest you will find is fence posts which are 1.9" or exhaust pipe which is 2". Both are available in various lengths. You are probably best off letting Directv supply the pole.

a pole 8-10' out of the ground is going to move like crazy even under a breeze. if you had and plans of building something there (garage, shed, play structure?), you may be able to attach a mount of some sort to that instead. either an S-tube or universal mount. failing that, you may have to sacrifice a tree or two if you *really* want D*.

pole needs to be 2" OD btw. people seem to have trouble finding that size for some reason.

I have a 12' pole, 3' in the ground, and haven't had any issues with signal loss due to it moving. It's been there nearly 10 years.

Can the dish currently on the roof just be replaced by a new dish and re-use that mount? Will they do that? That is my preference....

I can't be 100% certain, but the dish in the picture looks like the older type dish, not the Slimline, which is necessary to receive hd signals. The mast for the older dish is too small for the Slimline dish. There is also the issue of accessibility. Many installers aren't allowed to get off the ladder to install a dish, which seems to be the case with your existing dish. It looks like they may be able to install the dish on the smaller roof to the right, assuming they have a long enough ladder.

How many installers will have a free standing ladder 10'+ tall? They'll want to avoid overhead work, so a shorter one and a stretch ain't gonna do it.

How many installers will have a free standing ladder 10'+ tall? They'll want to avoid overhead work, so a shorter one and a stretch ain't gonna do it.
I think most installers carry an 18 or 24 ft ladder at all times. One of the installers here can verify that.

I think most installers carry an 18 or 24 ft ladder at all times. One of the installers here can verify that.
Those are extension ladders, no? For a pole, a self supporting A frame type freestanding type would be needed.

Those are extension ladders, no? For a pole, a self supporting A frame type freestanding type would be needed.
Why ?
What's wrong with a 24' extension ladder ?

Never mind, your talking for the pole, meanwhile, I was looking at the picture thinking the house.

I was referring to using the ladder to install a dish on the smaller roof to the right of where the existing dish is.

Hard to say for certain, but it looks like it will. It seems only a matter of having a long enough ladder.

Of course. IIRC, ladders over a certain length require a spotter.

Of course. IIRC, ladders over a certain length require a spotter.
Really ?
Never heard that before, but it would make sense.
Wonder what size ...

I've been on a 40 ft before, but it took more than one to carry, so we technically had a spotter.

We use 24 and 28 every day.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts