Roof replacement and Dish

DJ Lon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
We had a bad storm a few weeks back and the insurance company and contractor have finally gotten together to agree that I need my entire roof replaced due to the wind and hail damage.

What do I have to do regarding Dish and the dish? Of course I realize the roofing company is going to have to remove it for the repair/replacement but who puts it back afterwards and peaks it?

We had a bad storm a few weeks back and the insurance company and contractor have finally gotten together to agree that I need my entire roof replaced due to the wind and hail damage.

What do I have to do regarding Dish and the dish? Of course I realize the roofing company is going to have to remove it for the repair/replacement but who puts it back afterwards and peaks it?

This happens often. I would call and explain it to them. Should be a no-cost deal.

Have the roofing company include replacement in their estimate. The insurance company should pay for the replacement/repair.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Have the roofing company include replacement in their estimate. The insurance company should pay for the replacement/repair.

Insurance companies won’t include expenses they expect will be funded by Dish. I discovered this when my system was struck by lightening. Allstate said, “You lease the equipment from Dish, which means it is their responsibility.” Same thing applies here.

They (Ins. companies) know full well that Dish will come out and make the replacement. So they won’t pay a dime.

The job of an adjuster is to indentify who else will pay and reimburse as little as possible.

Anyone who believes otherwise has little or no experience with claims.

To the OP, my advice: let the roofers take down the dish, then call Customer Service and tell them roofers took down the dish. I guarantee they will send someone down to reinstall. No sweat.

Insurance companies won’t include expenses they expect will be funded by Dish. I discovered this when my system was struck by lightening. Allstate said, “You lease the equipment from Dish, which means it is their responsibility.” Same thing applies here.

Lightning is not covered, and neither is the equipment If your house caught on fire.

People complain all the time, but the only thing Dish is obligated to cover is the equipment if it goes bad under normal operating wear and tear.

Dish will usually cover these things anyways, only because many customers would use this as an excuse to flip providers.

Nobody leased their antennas from Dish. That is a component that is owned by the account holder(property owner) once installed. Remember, you take ownership of the antenna upon installation and becomes a permanent fixture to the home upon installation.

Ask the roofing company to remount it and call dish to point it. They'll probably sign you up for the silver protection plan and waive the trip charge.

Whatever you do, do NOT let the roofers put the Dish back up, no matter how much they claim that they know what they're doing. We'll be out there anyway to point it correctly, and for roofers, who you'd think would know better, they are clueless about 2 things - getting the mast plumb and sealing the holes. Normally they squirt some silicone or black jack over the bolts, which they almost never get all the way in, if they even bother to use all 6, which does NOT seal the holes

Roof mounts were my fav, right on corner at a joist..drop wire down behind gutter and connections then into the house..easy!
I've seen some roofers put them back darn near perfect and sealed really good..sheer luck really. Being on the corner of the roof keeps them out of the way vs on the ground or sticking from the side of the house. Also higher up being less likely to get blocked by a tree at some point.
Many people have no choice but to go up on the roof at some point. I'd climb all over them to put a dish up so long as the pitch wasn't bad..didn't care.
You really should pay the fee to have it put back up if they charge you - this can be included into the roofing fee which is covered by the insurance company..after all it isn't Dish's fault it had to be replaced so why should they be forced to absorb the costs.

Whatever you do, do NOT let the roofers put the Dish back up, no matter how much they claim that they know what they're doing. We'll be out there anyway to point it correctly, and for roofers, who you'd think would know better, they are clueless about 2 things - getting the mast plumb and sealing the holes. Normally they squirt some silicone or black jack over the bolts, which they almost never get all the way in, if they even bother to use all 6, which does NOT seal the holes

I went on a 'repoint' a couple of weeks ago where the customer said the roofer had already remounted the dish. When I got there I found the dish had been nailed, that's right nailed with nails through the new shingles and they didn't even hit a stud. What a mess on a brand new roof. :(

I would think that not all roofers are that stupid and that if it is removed at the base and re-attached plum it would be in the ballpark until dish can come peak it.

My friends land lord had the roofers remove the directv dish when they put a new roof on so I reattached to the deck keeping the the base the same direction as it was on the roof and what do you know it had a great signal no need to call for a repoint. And as you know a slimline can be more tricky then a 1000 dish.

I know some of you installers think your work takes the same skill level as a brain surgeon, but............lol

We had a hail storm April 2017. Allstate replaced the entire roof. The allowed $38.00 for R & R of the dish. I called dish prior to the roof repair. The tech. installed the dish on the brick side of my home instead of the roof. There was no charge for the service call. I have been with Dish about 17 years.
Don't forget to buy the Dish tech lunch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)