Rookie

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Here are some pics I took figure out how to hook up receiver. Been trying to figure out how to load pics on site. Found the android app! Will take more in next few days. Its dark when I get home from work.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121127_200300.png
    ForumRunner_20121127_200300.png
    124.1 KB · Views: 194
  • ForumRunner_20121127_200319.png
    ForumRunner_20121127_200319.png
    163.5 KB · Views: 207
More pics.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121128_181710.png
    ForumRunner_20121128_181710.png
    112.3 KB · Views: 184
  • ForumRunner_20121128_181726.png
    ForumRunner_20121128_181726.png
    146.2 KB · Views: 195
  • ForumRunner_20121128_181750.png
    ForumRunner_20121128_181750.png
    126.5 KB · Views: 152
  • ForumRunner_20121128_181809.png
    ForumRunner_20121128_181809.png
    118.6 KB · Views: 173
  • ForumRunner_20121128_181827.png
    ForumRunner_20121128_181827.png
    157.6 KB · Views: 167
Yep, looks like a BUD!
And a fine one.

I particularly like that hex LNB cover.
Was it a waste basket , a flower pot , etc.?

Some of us have used buckets. ;)

No I think its original. Has 3 clips that go thru holes, then turns to lock on. Surprisingly, and luckily, they didn't break when I took it off.

This bud looks exactly like my 7 1/2 foot k tronic bud I started this hobby with
3-16-2012003.jpg

Last edited:
So one more question for now guys. If I get the c/ku lnbf as johann mentioned. Will the current three low voltage wires work or will it require new wiring?

Before getting a C/KU LNBF you have to check the size of the holes on the screen.
On my dish the holes are about or little less than 2 toothpicks, any screen with holes bigger than a pencil will not work and will not able to pick up KU signals.

The new LNBF will change polarity with a 13 volt or a 18 volt signal that is send via coax cable, but your receiver need to be able to do so.
The newer receivers can do this and there is no extra wiring required and those 3 old low voltage wires are not used.

I do not know if your old analog receiver can switch polarities with 13v and 18v, but someone here may be able to answer this.

But, as far as I know you still would be able to use your old receiver for moving the dish wile using a newer receiver. Can anyone confirm this?

Last edited:
New c band lnb came yesterday, (USPS). Still waiting on receiver, (FedEx). There are 4 bolts on old lnb. So all I need to do is take the old one off and bolt new on, then connect to receiver, correct? Theres nothing connected inside that I need to be careful w/? And another thing I still haven't figured out. If I connect coax to new receiver, how am I going to see the menu on old receiver to change polarity and move? Can I connect old receiver to a different tv to see menu?

The LNBF you just got came with a scalar .
Instead of removing your old scalar, I'd see if I could slip my new LNBF into the old one.

You will also need to rotate the new LNBF within the scalar for proper alignment.
Likewise, how far the LNBF sticks through the scalar is a necessary adjustment.

What do u mean by scalar? This is all that was in the box, and a rubber looking gasket.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121206_191418.png
    ForumRunner_20121206_191418.png
    142.1 KB · Views: 147
  • ForumRunner_20121206_191435.png
    ForumRunner_20121206_191435.png
    118.5 KB · Views: 149
This actually isn't the lnb I ordered. But its the same price as other. Haven't had a chance to call the company and let them know. But was planning on prob jus keeping it, if it worked. Had about the same specs. Sooo, is it gonna work?

picture worth 1,000 words

I see you got an actual C-band LNB .
That does bolt right onto your existing feed horn (round tube about 3" dia & 8" long).

The scalar I mentioned is the dinner plate with raised rings on the dish-side.
The feedhorn is held in the scalar by a couple of screws (which you probably should leave as is for now).

I was under the impression you'd ordered an LNBF, which has LNBs built into a feedhorn.
Your picture cleared that uP.

Yes they are! After searching web trying to figure out what a scalar ring was. I started wondering if that's what u had in mind after my previous post. And ur always asking for pics so thats the first thing i thought of! But yea I decided to keep it c band only. Have that on tomorrow, then hopefully receiver shows up and I can start playing! :) thanks again Anole. Any suggestions on how to view menu on old receiver? Have to scan through menu to switch between moving dish and controlling polarity. Can I hook it to a seperate tv?

Or he could do what I do: Take a pad of paper, and simply go through the settings writing them all down as they are. Then, installing the new receiver, and setting it up according to the info he wrote.

That way he also has a back-up of his settings, in the case a firmware upgrade wipes him out, or some other event wipes them out. Hopefully that'll never happen to him, but if so, he'll then be covered!

Hooked up MicroHD. The only reference I have of where the dish is aimed, are the analog channels I was picking up on old receiver. So I decided to try 99w, Shepperds Channel. Followed instructions, did a blind scan. It was showing 45% signal, which according to book means I have a working lnb. Tweaked polarity on old receiver, the best picture quality I got was a fading 10%. All blind scan came up w/ were 3 ABC feeds, and they never locked good enough to come in. Tryed different satellite w/no luck. Now, the 45% signal doesn't show up anymore. Signal and quality at 0%. So now im at a loss. Any suggestions?

Now, the 45% signal doesn't show up anymore. Signal and quality at 0%. So now im at a loss. Any suggestions?
The "signal" is the connection from receiver to LNB.... so if you have 0% Signal, you are not connected to the LNB, a dead LNB, or the Receiver has an LNB Power setting and it's set to "off".
Connect the Analog receiver again and see if you can tune the channel again.

An Analog signal is much easier to tune than DVB / DVB-S2. Think of it as OTA analog vs. OTA Digital.
So since you were able to log the ABC channels, you just may need to tweak the Dish a little.

Thanks. Was going to reconnect analog receiver when I came home, but thought I would try microhd again. Searched 99.2w, this time I got a good signal on Judge Alex, so I'm guessing Fox. After that went off, feed went black. 90% & 70%. Showed up as four different channels tho. Came up on menu as G16/18 SD&HD. Used signal button on remote while watching channel so I could move dish around & mess w/signal. I had to move it slightly to the left from where Galaxy7 was programmed in old receiver. For best signal I had to set polarity at 0 on old receiver. From what I understand Galaxy7 was launched at 99w originally. This makes me think that if looking from behind dish, that it has moved slightly down & to the right. First because I had to adjust left when it should have been .2 degrees farther right anyway. Second it should naturally settle to the heavier side. Any opinions, again I AM ALL EARS!

...Searched 99.2w...
99.1 is the official slot, most refer to it as 99 West, or Galaxy 16.
But it's results that count, just position the Dish for best signal and save that position.

Which analog receiver are you using?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)