Roommate moving out, how NOT to lose DVR content

The account is in my name. The roommate will get her own account at her place.

I already have 2 Hoppers with Sling on my account. She uses one of them exclusively.

I don't think I can add a 3rd purchased Hopper to my account so she can move it to her account later.

I don't think I can add a 3rd purchased Hopper to my account

As already explained, you CAN - I have 3 myself (1 of which I own)

so she can move it to her account later

As long as you OWN it, you can do whatever you please with it - turn it on/off at will, give/sell it away, etc.
As long as it does NOT have a balance on it (which as an owned receiver being removed from an account in good standing wouldn't really be possible) they (DISH) really can't stop someone from adding it to another account in good standing.

As already explained, you CAN - I have 3 myself (1 of which I own)

As long as you OWN it, you can do whatever you please with it - turn it on/off at will, give/sell it away, etc.
As long as it does NOT have a balance on it (which as an owned receiver being removed from an account in good standing wouldn't really be possible) they (DISH) really can't stop someone from adding it to another account in good standing.

Correct you can have another hopper. This is kinda rare but you can put a switch before the node then add another solo node at the switch. So the switch will have both a solo and duo. The only problem is the hoppers can only communicate with 2. So on the 3rd hopper you will not be able to see the other 2 hoppers DVR.

The only problem is the hoppers can only communicate with 2. So on the 3rd hopper you will not be able to see the other 2 hoppers DVR.

just connect a line between clients ports on the nodes and the 3 hoppers will communicate with each other

[/COLOR]
just connect a line between clients ports on the nodes and the 3 hoppers will communicate with each other
Or in this case, just swap out one of the existing hoppers temporarily. There wouldn't be any need to do a "proper" three hopper install.

I think there might be a way...but it would involve her having to purchase (NOT lease) a (2nd) Hopper receiver...

- Have roommate purchase a Hopper receiver (from E-bay, Dish Depot, etc.)
- Add this new Hopper on YOUR account (yes, you CAN have multiple Hoppers on the SAME account...)
- Move all of her programs off your receiver(s) to an external HDD - then move those same contents from the external HDD, to the new Hopper receiver you just added to your account (make sure the shows DO playback properly)
- Have the roommate get her new DISH H/J system installed; make sure the tech installs a duo-node for the 2nd Hopper to be added later
- Once the roommate's new system is up & running, bring her new (owned) Hopper to the new house & connect to the dish/node
- YOU will then have to call DISH & have the receiver removed from YOUR account; make sure you tell them you are selling it to a friend & that it will be reactivated later on their account
- Have the roommate call DISH & add the same Hopper onto HER account as an owned receiver

Because the shows ARE (now) already existing on the internal HDD, she should be able to play them back with no problems...

This assumes the account lock only applies to EHDs, not internal HDDs. Might be true.

This assumes the account lock only applies to EHDs, not internal HDDs. Might be true.
I was wondering the same thing. Has anyone moved a Dish DVR (Hopper or VIP) between accounts and maintained the content?

...which brings us back to the time consuming option of real-time recording/capturing of the content, or accessing it thru sling.

Can't be done, I've asked this once before high up in the Dish chain and the answer was nope.

And you actually took that as gospel - uh, OK... :confused:

Sorry, but the only way I would believe this, is for someone to try it first hand & see - I say the OP should do this for ALL of us & (satelliteguys) mankind... :D

Sorry, but the only way I would believe this, is for someone to try it first hand & see - I say the OP should do this for ALL of us & (satelliteguys) mankind... :D

This didn't come over the phone, it came from a regional manager for several states face to face that had some good working information of how the DVR and external devices work and retain encrypted data which is done for a reason as someone else already stated.

it came from a regional manager... that had some good working information of how the DVR and external devices work and retain encrypted data...

Everyone knows the EHD is encrypted and tied to a single account. But if the internal data is also encrypted, that's a surprise to at least one person in this thread! If it's not, then the method of buying another Hopper and activating on the original account, moving data back onto the internal drive, and then moving the purchased Hopper onto new account should work to avoid losing the roommate's programs.

Wow! I had an opinion to weigh in, but with all the controversy and illegal ideas, I'm just not going to touch this one. Just remember though, purchased hoppers run around $649 new.

I agree 100%. Someone should do this and answer the question so we and the poster with the problem can move on.
(I believe it will work but don't have the means to try it. Someone with two Hopper accounts should do it.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts