Rooting an Android phone... found out why today

Now that I’m rooted I can’t get the latest Sprint OTA update unless I unroot and I have no desire to spend an hour following a 200 step procedure on how to do that. When I get the Evo 3D, I can guarantee that will never be rooted.

Really is just a one or two step process. Just download the lasted RUU and run it from a windows machine. It flashes back the stock ROM without root. Didn't know a couple step process that takes about 10 minutes turns into a 200 step procedure that takes an hour.

Steve,

Why can't the manufacturer make HDMI out work correctly? Why can the cyanogen mod team make 4g run better than the manufacturer? Why can cyanogen mod make the phone run faster?

I get it, you don't like custom roms. Stick with rooted stock.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Really is just a one or two step process. Just download the lasted RUU and run it from a windows machine. It flashes back the stock ROM without root. Didn't know a couple step process that takes about 10 minutes turns into a 200 step procedure that takes an hour.

I am not sure what processes are out there for rooting the EVO, but if I am not mistaken there was a one clock method? If so, its as simple as clicking, "unroot".....

Even if there isnt a one click, you are right, its not a difficult or overly time consuming process, at least in my opinion.

In any case, rooting and/or flashing custom roms is obviously not for everyone. Stick with what you prefer.

System app remover uninstalls twitter, facebook and any other bloat ware on your phone permanently.

Steve,

Why can't the manufacturer make HDMI out work correctly? Why can the cyanogen mod team make 4g run better than the manufacturer? Why can cyanogen mod make the phone run faster?

I get it, you don't like custom roms. Stick with rooted stock.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Not sure what you’re talking about. While I’ve only used HDMI out a handful of times, I had no problems with it. I don’t even know where my micro HDMI cable is anymore. I’ve had no problems with 4G, and if a third party ROM can improve significantly on 12Mb download speeds on Wimax, I’d love to see it. And so far I’ve run three or four custom ROMs, Fresh, Cyanogen, OMJ and I forgot the other one. And once I have all my apps and widgets loaded on, neither one is any faster then the stock ROM.

System app remover uninstalls twitter, facebook and any other bloat ware on your phone permanently.

You still need to be rooted to remove apps with System App Remover and when I ran the app using Cyanogen the Facebook and Twitter apps wern't even listed in the app lists to be removed.

Unrevoked is billed as a 'One Click Root' but there's more to it than that. You have to do something with HTC Sync and a few other things, I can't remember the whole process as I rooted back in October or November. It wasn't difficult by any means, but it wasn't just one click. And unrooting is a bit more than just clicking an Unroot button. At this point I really don't care as this phone is basically just a lame duck and in two-three months’ time I won't have it anymore. Just amazed at how people praise custom ROMs when they screw up the phones basic functionality.

But I do have to say I like the much improved Email app in Gingerbread, as well as the Gallery and Camera apps like I stated earlier.

Unrevoked is billed as a 'One Click Root' but there's more to it than that. You have to do something with HTC Sync and a few other things, I can't remember the whole process as I rooted back in October or November. It wasn't difficult by any means, but it wasn't just one click. And unrooting is a bit more than just clicking an Unroot button. At this point I really don't care as this phone is basically just a lame duck and in two-three months’ time I won't have it anymore. Just amazed at how people praise custom ROMs when they screw up the phones basic functionality.

But I do have to say I like the much improved Email app in Gingerbread, as well as the Gallery and Camera apps like I stated earlier.

Unrevoked was a one-click root on my Mac, both times I've used it. No need for HTC Sync, either. I haven't noticed any decrease in functionality, quite the opposite. I do understand that it is a preference, though, and respect your choice.

I havent flashed any customs to my Galaxy, main reason is for my variant on Cell South there are not many customs out for it (I will still probably do it sooner or later, for now though being rooted and adding the stuff that I want is enough). I did flash many customs to my Milestone though, and found a big improvement over stock. Plus overclocking the processor to make the phone run faster.

To me, while Sense was nice when I had a HTC phone, I found myself using different stuff to customize it.
It basically comes down to personal preference.

Where's Iceberg and his "No Hack talk!"??? ;)

Really, though, I don't understand the mindset that says I want this shiny new goo-gad, but it doesn't run fast enough, so I'm going to void the warranty and run it faster by jailbreak/root/hack. And I trust some anonymous programmer in who-knows-where-istan to create firmware for my new communications device so it does something it wasn't intended to do, and I also trust that there weren't any back doors installed that now turn my 4G phone into the fastest SPAM forwarder that isn't tied to any one physical location.

Or should I have posted this in Bob's Forum-o-Gloom? ;)

Don't forget that rooting your phone does not mean you are going to install any 3rd party ROM's. The only reason that I have rooted my phone is to have the ability to side load 3rd party applications such as the apps from Amazon. Once AT&T adds this capabilities there will be no more reason to have my phone rooted.

And as far as the voiding of Warranty. That is really up in the air as if I can restore my phone to the original unrooted version does it really matter. It is not like they will be able to tell that the phone was rooted or had a custom rom installed.

Really, though, I don't understand the mindset that says I want this shiny new goo-gad, but it doesn't run fast enough...
I believe this is the mindset of those that remember the first computers...:)
The cost was outrages, features - limited, protection - nonexistent. During those times bumping CPU speed by 10% often meant saving $500+.

Today motherboards (being it CPU or video) come often with overclocking tools pre-installed.
And this is only for one reason: the capabilities of the particular silicon part are higher then marked.
Case in point - multicore CPU. Quite often there is no difference between a X3 and X4 AMD silicon.
One core is just disabled and with a proper mobo BIOS this can be reversed. Same with GHz.

Essentially the question Why? has a simple answer: because it can be done!

Diogen.

Where's Iceberg and his "No Hack talk!"??? ;)

Really, though, I don't understand the mindset that says I want this shiny new goo-gad, but it doesn't run fast enough, so I'm going to void the warranty and run it faster by jailbreak/root/hack. And I trust some anonymous programmer in who-knows-where-istan to create firmware for my new communications device so it does something it wasn't intended to do, and I also trust that there weren't any back doors installed that now turn my 4G phone into the fastest SPAM forwarder that isn't tied to any one physical location.

Or should I have posted this in Bob's Forum-o-Gloom? ;)

Actually, jailbreaking the iPhone is must in my book. I wouldn’t touch an iPhone with a 10 foot pole unless it was jailbroken. About 2 days after I bought my iPhone I had it jailbroken and to this day it still is, even though I have no idea where it I anymore. Since Apple is typically behind the curve when it comes to smart phone technology, jailbreaking was the only way for the iPhone to get such ‘advanced features’ as copy/paste, MMS support, multitasking, app switching and the ability to shoot video in 2009. You know, when every other smartphone could do these things, and most dumbphones could as well.

Another reason to jailbrake? Because Lord Jobs doesn’t want you to and says it should be illegal. Screw him! I paid $300 for my iPhone and I will do anything to it I damn well please, that self-absorbed psycho control freak as no right to tell me what I can and can’t do to something I purchased with my own hard earned cash. I never really cared if jailbreaking was legal or not, I’d continue to do it anyway, again, Screw Jobs!

Finally I can’t believe people are still touting the ‘void the warranty’ thing. Unjailbreaking the iPhone is as simple as plugging the phone into the computer, launching iTunes and clicking on ‘Restore iPhone’. Unrooting and Android phone may not be as simple but it can be done. And once back to factory state, no one is the wiser.

My rooted galaxy running wifi tether was VERY helpful this weekend.
Renting a condo in Orange Beach Alabama, and while it has broadband wifi, the owners did not leave me the password.
So turn on wifi tether and I have a good alternative.

I use this often at our camp on the river.