Roseanne revival premieres to massive ratings

Derwin0

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 16, 2004
Peachtree City, GA
Evidently the revival of Roseanne did pretty good last night.

We watched it, and enjoyed it a lot. They pretty much ignored and threw away the final season, and even addressed the book Roseanne was writing that Dan "died" in.

The grandchildren added are good. Is really easy to see how the daughter is Darlene's. Same attitude and look. DJ is a recently discharged veteran who's wife is still active duty and overseas.

It was hilarious how they kept referring to Sara Gilbert being gay in real life, when talking about how Darlene's son likes girls clothes. Dan's reactions were what you would expect from any grandfather concerned about his grandchild's well being.

All in all, a great revival and a new addition to my DVR to-do list.

'Roseanne' revival premieres to massive ratings

The revival of Roseanne premiered to massive ratings Tuesday night.

The return delivered an incredible 18.2 million viewers along with an equally impressive 5.1 rating among adults 18-49.

According to ABC, this is the highest-rated comedy telecast on any network in nearly four years (since a premiere episode of CBS’ The Big Bang Theory from 2014).

It started slow for me but by the end of the first episode and all the second it was good, even very funny at times. I did like how they are talking about and handling today's social issues.
Next week will tell more about ratings.

Side note Red Sox part owner Tom Werner is producing it as he did before. (He also did Third Rock, That 70' Show, Cosby and many others)

Since this isn't the Pit I won't elaborate, however this show is a first for TV. It was not in the top 30 in LA or top 20 in NYC for audience share, the two biggest markets. (Remember they cover populations of a DMA much more than just the cities) Yet the Show had huuuge ratings and was first obviously in a large majority of other markets.

Since this isn't the Pit I won't elaborate, however this show is a first for TV. It was not in the top 30 in LA or top 20 in NYC for audience share, the two biggest markets. (Remember they cover populations of a DMA much more than just the cities) Yet the Show had huuuge ratings and was first obviously in a large majority of other markets.

I was surprised I saw Tulsa was the top rated market for it.

Different tastes for different markets. Roseanne has always appeals to the blue collar segment, something that NYC & LA aren't. Happens for every show, where ratings differ in different markets.

Different tastes for different markets. Roseanne has always appeals to the blue collar segment, something that NYC & LA aren't. Happens for every show, where ratings differ in different markets.

It doesn't though, of course regional variations but shows are not #1 for the night with over 18 million viewers and not be in the top 30 or top 20 in the two biggest markets. In fact shows have been cancelled doing reasonably well overall but not in those two markets that is how much dominance they have. It's even more remarkable because there is so much more competition now with the number of cable channels, the Netflix and Amazon's etc.... I won't provide links because they include some political explanations but the word "Stunned" and "Very rare" are used to describe it getting that many viewers without benefit from the two biggest markets. Not sure it can keep ratings near that high but I think it could maintain a large audience.

Reactions: osu1991
ABC has renewed Roseanne for an 11th season.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/03/roseanne-renewed-season-11.html

Roseanne is back and here to stay. On the heels of its massive premiere, ABC has announced that it will renew the sitcom for an 11th season. “We’re thrilled that America has welcomed the Conner family back into their homes. The show is as fresh and relevant today as it was when it left the air 21 years ago. We can’t wait to see what the Roseanne team has in store for next year,” ABC Entertainment president Cheryl Dungey said in a press release Friday.

Tonight's episode will be the real test of it's staying power. There will be a ratings drop due to curiosity, the question is "how much?". Plus we can see if the quality of the writing/acting continues.
There was some drop (as expected), but the live ratings for last night were still good. The drop was was from 18 million to 15 million.

'Roseanne' revival wins in the ratings, holds strong in its second week
ABC’s “Roseanne” reboot is still going strong in its second week, reeling in more than 15 million viewers for Tuesday’s episode, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The premiere of the highly-anticipated return of the Conner family drew just over 18 million viewers last week, and the network is likely pleased with the strong showing in week two.

According to The Hollywood Reporter the show averaged a 3.9 rating among adults in the key demo of 18 to 49 year olds with about 15.2 million total viewers on Tuesday.

As for the episode itself, I thought it was pretty good, and a nice continuation.

btw, if I was "Granny Rose", I would have slapped that little b**ch. On that point though, the show continuing to show issues that people actually do face, helps connect to views, and is a big reason the show is doing good, as it did in it's original run before it got stupid with aliens and winning the lottery.

Except for major events, no other show garners 15 million viewers after the first night. That does not include within 24 hours, DVR, etc. Pretty spectacular numbers. NCIS in the same slot had 12 million viewers and won the night overall. I thought last night was hilarious. Especially since I work with kids and their parents every day.

S~

Last edited:
13.5 to 14 Million after third episode. Quite impressive. Liked the episode well done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts