rotator good or bad?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
the channelmaster rotor would work if the system is installed properly...not too high on the mast, not binding, etc.

I use the alliance u110 rotor and a thrust bearing with my setup. The control box is old school and goes clunk clunk when it turns. 20 years old and still works. And they still sell them.

http://www.rotorservice.com/prod1 rotor sales.htm

My 25+ y.o. RCA rotator (sold as Radio Shack "Archer" brand) still works like a champ with a VU-160 antenna on it. It uses 5 wires from the control box to the drive unit. In many places the insulation has fallen off, so there are several exposed wires , but they remain separated enough that they don't short out. Even if they touched casually, the copper is so corroded that I doubt they'd make electrical contact!

That said, I really like the new Channel Master 9521A I mounted on a 30' mast (another 5' extends above the drive). The remote control that allows you to program the channels matched to the compass headings is pretty cool, tho' I haven't programmed that feature yet. I just enter the compass headings and the system does the rest. The primary limit on the size is the height above the drive, which CM says should not be more than 3' without a thrust bearing. Since my 4228 is rather small in terms of its span and concentrated around its center of gravity, I felt OK using a full 5' mast section in the drive unit. So far so good...

antenna rotors

My 25+ y.o. RCA rotator (sold as Radio Shack "Archer" brand) still works like a champ with a VU-160 antenna on it. It uses 5 wires from the control box toQUOTE]

that radio shack rotor was made by channel master in ohio
The alliance rotors are great , but they are all old and you will be getting a rebuilt unit. There is rotor that is made by pro brand that does not require a separate power feed cable, it goes thru the coax to the antenna.

http://www.eagleaspen.com/products/products_1.php?id=90

Rotor or not?

I'm getting ready to install my first OTA so I can recieve HD. I have done quit alot of research and would like to have see what you guys think.

I am considering a directional antenna. My HD towers are at 288° 14 miles away, and at 294° 32 miles away from my location.

Would a rotor really make a big difference since they are so close together from my location?

Would a multi - directional antenna be better?

Any one have a suggestion on an optimal antenna for me?

Thank you in advance for you input.

I'm getting ready to install my first OTA so I can recieve HD. I have done quit alot of research and would like to have see what you guys think.

I am considering a directional antenna. My HD towers are at 288° 14 miles away, and at 294° 32 miles away from my location.

Would a rotor really make a big difference since they are so close together from my location?

Would a multi - directional antenna be better?

Any one have a suggestion on an optimal antenna for me?

Thank you in advance for you input.

You should be able to split those stations with a single CM 4221 or Winegard pr4400 4 bay since they are only about 6 degrees apart and not terribly far away.

My 25+ y.o. RCA rotator (sold as Radio Shack "Archer" brand) still works like a champ with a VU-160 antenna on it. It uses 5 wires from the control box to

that radio shack rotor was made by channel master in ohio...
Dodge - You might be right about the old Archer rotator being build by CM, but I really do think it was RCA at that point in time. How do I know? I actually bought a damaged unit (lightning or surge) off the "as-is" table at my local RS. I ordered a service manual for the unit from RS and when it arrived it said RCA throughout. I agree that the current "Archer" rotators are CM's. In fact if you check the CM website for the optional remote control it says "for CM 9521 and Archer xxx..." (words to that effect).

BRgds...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)