Router Connection Issue

charlesrshell

SatelliteGuys Crazy
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
O'Fallon, IL
What can cause a router to kick off line and not the modem? After a modem and router reboot the router will stay on line for a day or so and then kick off again. I called Spectrum while the router was kicked off and they said the modem was showing connected on line with no issues. They said I had a bad router. So I got a Spectrum WiFi router and the same thing happened again. So I presume it is not a router issue. There is a 16 port and 8 port switches in my system. I took the 16 port switch out of the system and the issue went away. So do you think the 16 port switch is going bad or could it be one of the devices that are plugged into the switch causing the issue? It is a Netgear switch and still under warranty. Do you think Netgear will replace it or will they say it is a device causing the issue?

Does your LAN go down (in whole or in part) when this happens?

You shouldn't get wound up about your ISP if your LAN is broken.

If the switch is going south, Netgear will repair or replace at their discretion. If an unmanaged switch takes out your LAN, it has almost certainly failed (I've seen switches wadded up by someone jumpering ports together on the same switch). Managed switches can be configured to kill your LAN but I'm guessing those aren't in play.

I've not had good luck with Netgear switches. The power supplies have been an ongoing problem (I've had both internal and external power supplies fail).

I get the "all your eggs in one basket" thing, but you can get a serviceable 24 port switch for not too much money. Actually, you may be able to get two for the price of one comparable Netgear 16 port switch.

Amazon product ASIN B0779R9LJ3

Reactions: charlesrshell
Does your LAN go down (in whole or in part) when this happens?

You shouldn't get wound up about your ISP if your LAN is broken.

If the switch is going south, Netgear will repair or replace at their discretion. If an unmanaged switch takes out your LAN, it has almost certainly failed (I've seen switches wadded up by someone jumpering ports together on the same switch). Managed switches can be configured to kill your LAN but I'm guessing those aren't in play.

I've not had good luck with Netgear switches. The power supplies have been an ongoing problem (I've had both internal and external power supplies fail).

I get the "all your eggs in one basket" thing, but you can get a serviceable 24 port switch for not too much money. Actually, you may be able to get two for the price of one comparable Netgear 16 port switch.

Amazon product ASIN B0779R9LJ3

Thanks harshness. It is an unmanaged switch and the complete network goes out. The router gets the disconnect lite on and the modem on line lite is good. Last nite I reconnected the 16 port Netgear switch to the Spectrum WiFi router. So far it is all working good. If it holds up I am going to swap back to my Orbi mesh router see how it goes. This Spectrum WiFi router lacks a lot of capabilities to control things. Maybe rebooting both switches cleared things up. If it acts up again I will just go ahead and get a TP-Link switch. Got to keep my system up and running with wife at home doing the virtual zoom school teaching stuff with her students. When it goes down, guess what!! Never mind, it is not pretty. LOL Thanks again.

I've never had any problem with Netgear switches. I have an 8 and a 16 port version in my home network. I upgraded my switches to gigabit a year or so ago. The old 10/100 switches were given to my brother and my neighbor. Both are still going strong. That's not to say that hardware never fails, it does. Good thing electronics are cheap these days.

I don't know if you are having the same problem but our internet has gone down a couple of times lately. ISP's are struggling to keep everyone connected these days. Sometimes my modem shows that I have a connection but a ping test proves otherwise. Just a thought.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I've never had any problem with Netgear switches. I have an 8 and a 16 port version in my home network. I upgraded my switches to gigabit a year or so ago. The old 10/100 switches were given to my brother and my neighbor. Both are still going strong. That's not to say that hardware never fails, it does. Good thing electronics are cheap these days.

I don't know if you are having the same problem but our internet has gone down a couple of times lately. ISP's are struggling to keep everyone connected these days. Sometimes my modem shows that I have a connection but a ping test proves otherwise. Just a thought.
Thanks TRG. Understand what you are saying about hardware failure. If if happens again I will plug straight into the modem and check the internet. I am pretty sure the internet was good because it happened with two different routers and Charter said the modem was reading good from their end both times.