Router issue with 50MB service

Try and set your router to just use N as a quick test. I am really wondering if your G devices are having a negative impact.

Did that. No impact. Not even sure if my kid's machine is on right now. I know the wireless on the blu-ray isn't.

When I upgraded my internet speed (just 20mbit with the boost to 40) I had to get a new router. It could not pump the packets through fast enough with firewall/NAT/PAT all active. It would peak at about 12-15mbit/sec. It sounds like yours can do it on the hardwire, but perhaps it cannot route fast enough through wireless. You might need to get a new N one with channel bonding to really pump out the packets.

Well my wife is giving me the evil eye to get off the laptop on a Friday night, so I guess I'll continue this tomorrow morning.

THANKS everyone! Yet another example of why SatelliteGuys is awesome. :)

I would also be willing to pull out my old Linksys router...
If possible, try to separate routers by "flavor"...
Let the Linksys serve the 11G clients and connect its WAN port to the Belkin LAN port.
And make the Belkin a dedicated for 11N clients. Better would be on 5GHz.
If not possible, pick channel 11 or closeby...

Diogen.

Bottom line is with wireless, you cannot expect those kind of speeds. Wireless is all over the board and can't sustain those kind of speeds. If you want to have consistent speeds you need to be plugged into a lan port. With a descent router, and a up to date computer you'll be fine.
Never do speed tests using wireless.

Bottom line is with wireless, you cannot expect those kind of speeds. Wireless is all over the board and can't sustain those kind of speeds. If you want to have consistent speeds you need to be plugged into a lan port. With a descent router, and a up to date computer you'll be fine.
Never do speed tests using wireless.
You are correct but I can't help but feel like Rocky does. Half?:eek: I put my mom back to TWC from ATT U-verse. On the wireless side she loses some but not that much. Dang!

You are correct but I can't help but feel like Rocky does. Half?:eek: I put my mom back to TWC from ATT U-verse. On the wireless side she loses some but not that much. Dang!

I agree. I understand that I'll do better wired, but I should not lose half of my bandwidth. Working on some experiments today to see if I can improve it. Considering using the old linksys router as the router and bringing the belkin upstairs as an access point. Would give me much closer distance to the router. Just to need to hunt down a switch somewhere to connect it in my wife's office. Only have two ethernet ports on the main floor, in the kitchen, and in her office, and I don't think she wants the access point in the kitchen. actually, I know she doesn't. :)

You may also want to consider the purchase of a different wireless N router altogether. I pulled up the specs on yours and except for the very first revision they all use the craptacular RALink chipset and use a SoC (System on a Chip) to process the data. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see your router choke on processing a heavy data load. Normally I'd also recommend giving DD-WRT a shot to see if its just crappy firmware but unfortunately your router is not supported. If you decide to go with a new wireless router I'd suggest the D-Link DIR-655.

I upgraded my Comcast Broadband to Extreme 50 today, from a 20MB connection. I was not noticing ANY CHANGE at all in speedtest. Indeed, I wasn't even getting close to 50MB, was getting more like 8MB.

So, I recycled the modem, recyled the router. Nothing. I contacted Comcast. They recycled the modem from their end. Nothing. They had me disconnect the router. AND when I did, I got a 56MB connection on speedtest.

Reconnected it, back to 8MB. They gave me a Bullsh!t argument that "your internet is shared between machines." I gave that right back to them saying that was hogwash, and even if it was true, there were 2 machines running so that should be 25MB. Then they basically said, "is it a comcast router?" I said no. They said, contact the manufacturer. REALLY PISSED ME OFF. That is NOT customer service.

So I have gone into my Belkin Wireless N router and looked to see if there is anything I might be able to tweak. can't find a damn thing. I have continued to run speedtest, and I actually have gotten a few connections at 22 and 28mp, but nothing like the 56 I was getting when going direct from the modem to the PC.

So.... HELP. What the heck am I doing wrong? The router has been extremely stable. Worked great. Is it plausible that the router is cutting down my bandwidth?

I do have a linksys router I could try, but I'd have to setup my Belkin as a Wireless Access point. Don't really want to do that if I can avoid it.

I am not sure why you are mad at comcast? Maybe the way they worded things? But what they told you was correct. You connect your PC directly to modem you get 56mbit. You connect to router it drops to 8mbit. That is a simply way to say hey comcasts equipment is working properly, there is something wrong with your third party router that they are not responsible for, so suggesting you goto the router manufacturer for more support makes perfect sense. The idiot who told you that it "shared between two computers" really had no idea what he was talking about however, as you can have 10 computers connected on a 50mbit connection and if all 10 are doing nothing it will use 0mbit. Or 1 using 50 the rest using 0. It does not split the bandwidth in the sense that they mentioned.

But in either case, the problem is not on comcasts end and not something they are responsible for. Apple is not going to trouble shoot your android phone any more then comcast is going to trouble shoot some other companies router. As long as that modem is giving you full speed there responsibility ends. But they did seem to at least try a few basic steps with you.

They pulled the same crap on me blaming the manufacture of the router and or the modem.

I finally just gave in and had them come out to install their piece of crap modem/router, for the simple fact that there is no excuses when I have a service issue because its their equipment!

Which is exactly why I tell customers to just use the equipment provided. Because in that 10/month for the router/modem whatever it is, not only do you have equipment you will not have to pay to replace if it goes bad, but you get the added technical support and knowing that if something goes wrong its there problem not yours.

Of course I usually specificy that if your good with computers and technology it might be worth just to go at it on your own but if you dont know more then checking email and surfing youtube, pay the extra and let the cable co deal with the problems for you.

I understand that I'll do better wired, but I should not lose half of my bandwidth.
That's kind of like saying that rain fade couldn't be a reason for loss of signal. You can't just hope that your home is electromagnetically transparent. The fact that it works on one floor and not so well on another confirms that the signal isn't getting through very well.

Relocating the router is the first step.

That's kind of like saying that rain fade couldn't be a reason for loss of signal. You can't just hope that your home is electromagnetically transparent. The fact that it works on one floor and not so well on another confirms that the signal isn't getting through very well.

Relocating the router is the first step.

Yeah, but it is inconsistent on the floor where the router is as well. I just don't think the Belkin is very good. Yeah, it maintains a signal, but its speed is pretty erratic.

The cable feed comes into the basement, with a network box connecting all of the house ethernet ports; pretty much requires that the wired router (at least) is in the basement. I am planning on putting in a wireless access point on the main floor.

I am not sure why you are mad at comcast? Maybe the way they worded things? But what they told you was correct. You connect your PC directly to modem you get 56mbit. You connect to router it drops to 8mbit. That is a simply way to say hey comcasts equipment is working properly, there is something wrong with your third party router that they are not responsible for, so suggesting you goto the router manufacturer for more support makes perfect sense. The idiot who told you that it "shared between two computers" really had no idea what he was talking about however, as you can have 10 computers connected on a 50mbit connection and if all 10 are doing nothing it will use 0mbit. Or 1 using 50 the rest using 0. It does not split the bandwidth in the sense that they mentioned.

But in either case, the problem is not on comcasts end and not something they are responsible for. Apple is not going to trouble shoot your android phone any more then comcast is going to trouble shoot some other companies router. As long as that modem is giving you full speed there responsibility ends. But they did seem to at least try a few basic steps with you.

WRONG. If I am paying $100 per month for broadband, they should at least make an effort to provide some suggestions as to how to optimize it, and not just say "the broadband is split between all the computers using it." That illustrated that they just were not interested in providing any assistance. Hell, they are so inept, I can not even get their system to actually make an auto-pay work. But they are the only game in town beyond a 7mb DSL option.

Of course, if you had read further in the thread, you would have seen that I had moved beyond blaming comcrap, and have been working on finding ways to improve the wireless connectivity. I accept their lack of customer service and have been working with folks here in finding ways to optimize my connectivity.

Yeah, but it is inconsistent on the floor where the router is as well. I just don't think the Belkin is very good. Yeah, it maintains a signal, but its speed is pretty erratic.

The cable feed comes into the basement, with a network box connecting all of the house ethernet ports; pretty much requires that the wired router (at least) is in the basement. I am planning on putting in a wireless access point on the main floor.

Do you have 1 or 2 network ports run to any of the rooms that you would like your router? If you do just have the feed from the cable modem sent to that room and them back from our router to a switch down at the network junction. This will allow you to still have all the room wired and only have the one access point.

Do you have 1 or 2 network ports run to any of the rooms that you would like your router? If you do just have the feed from the cable modem sent to that room and them back from our router to a switch down at the network junction. This will allow you to still have all the room wired and only have the one access point.

My thought was to add a switch to my the port in my wife's office (only one ethernet port), and plug in the wireless router there, leaving a wired router (probably the belkin, with wifi turned off) in the basement. It works fine for the wired network. This would put the wifi on the main floor, where the bulk of wireless activity is (oh, my kid's wifi in the basement would be a little slower, but until he is paying for it, I am not quite so concerned :) ).

My other idea was to leave wifi on or the belkin, but ONLY running 80211B/G, for my kid's needs (particularly his ipod touch). That would enable me to run the N network solely on 5GHz.

Yeah, but it is inconsistent on the floor where the router is as well.
Wi-fi is likely to be inconsistent. It is negatively impacted by cordless phones, appliances (especially microwaves) and other devices you may have around the house (or surrounding your house).

The only way to insure peak performance is to hardwire. Wi-fi and HomePlug are alternatives but not so much when you get into the 30+Mbps range. If MoCA weren't so damned expensive, it might be an option but it would require hardwiring with fussy and expensive coax so there's not much point unless you're already fully cabled and not using it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)