Router issue with 50MB service

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
I upgraded my Comcast Broadband to Extreme 50 today, from a 20MB connection. I was not noticing ANY CHANGE at all in speedtest. Indeed, I wasn't even getting close to 50MB, was getting more like 8MB.

So, I recycled the modem, recyled the router. Nothing. I contacted Comcast. They recycled the modem from their end. Nothing. They had me disconnect the router. AND when I did, I got a 56MB connection on speedtest.

Reconnected it, back to 8MB. They gave me a Bullsh!t argument that "your internet is shared between machines." I gave that right back to them saying that was hogwash, and even if it was true, there were 2 machines running so that should be 25MB. Then they basically said, "is it a comcast router?" I said no. They said, contact the manufacturer. REALLY PISSED ME OFF. That is NOT customer service.

So I have gone into my Belkin Wireless N router and looked to see if there is anything I might be able to tweak. can't find a damn thing. I have continued to run speedtest, and I actually have gotten a few connections at 22 and 28mp, but nothing like the 56 I was getting when going direct from the modem to the PC.

So.... HELP. What the heck am I doing wrong? The router has been extremely stable. Worked great. Is it plausible that the router is cutting down my bandwidth?

I do have a linksys router I could try, but I'd have to setup my Belkin as a Wireless Access point. Don't really want to do that if I can avoid it.

They pulled the same crap on me blaming the manufacture of the router and or the modem.

I finally just gave in and had them come out to install their piece of crap modem/router, for the simple fact that there is no excuses when I have a service issue because its their equipment!

What is the router model number?

Does your router feature Quality of Service (QoS) functionality? If you've run any of those "Internet Connection Optimizers" it may have configured QoS on your router and throttled your bandwidth down to a level appropriate for your 12Mbps connection.

I'd do a factory reset on the router and see what happens.

It is a Belkin Wireless N F5D8235-4 v2000

(new firmware as of a month ago)

never ran an optimizer, but will look for QoS....

Not finding anything for QoS on the router.

Have the following options:
LAN Setup
LAN Settings
DHCP Client List
Static Routing
Internet WAN
Connection Type
DNS
MAC Address Cloning
Wireless
Channel and SSID
Security
Guest Access
WPS
Use as Access Point
MAC Address Control
Firewall
Virtual Servers
Access Control
DMZ
DDNS
WAN Ping Blocking
Security Log
Utilities
Restart Router
Restore Factory Default
Save/Backup Settings
Restore Previous Settings
Firmware Update
System Settings

Well I found QoS, it was an On/Off switch hidden in Wireless/Channel and SSID. On by Default. Turned it off. No difference.

of course, the problem has been when wired as well, so still digging looking.

Is it a gigabit router or a standard 10/100... To see the full speed you will need a gigabit router, as with network overhead it will cut down on the speed your router can handle. Router does make a diffrence!

I have a linksys WRT310N and I see those speeds only through the gigabit ports.. Thorugh my wireless N I see roughly 30 megs...

Through Gigabit ports

1274605429.png

Through Wireless N

Last edited:
Robert, I was hoping you'd pipe in.

It is a gigabit router.

FROM THE MANUAL
Integrated 10/100/1000 4-Port switch
The Router has a built-in, Gigabit Ethernet, four-port network switch to allow
your wired computers to share printers, data and MP3 files, digital photos, and
much more The switch features automatic detection so it will adjust to the
speed of connected devices The switch will transfer data between computers
and the Internet simultaneously without interrupting or consuming resources

But not seeing it from the desktops either. Was able to get 56MB down from my laptop when connected directly to the modem.

I have gotten 28MB from the Wireless ONCE. Right now, got 19. Basically getting what I paid for when I had 20MB, not 50. Given the cost, I want more speed.

I don't exactly remember how I configured my moms router with TWC but you may try Logging into your modem and write down the primary and secondary DNS values. Then log into your router setup menu and change the DNS settings from Auto/Dynamic to pppoe (I think it is) manually enter those DNS settings. Before changing any of the router settings write them down so if this doesn't work you can go back. I wouldn't recommend going back to the default settings though. If you are still having the problems contact belkin.

Try it one step at a time.

1. Turn off wireless. Turn off DHCP.
2. Attach the modem to one LAN connector, the computer - to another.
This way you measure switching capabilities of your router. Do you get 50MB?

3. Keep all the same and turn on WiFi. Anything changed?
Wireless radios DO have effect on overall performance due to heat.

4. Turn of WiFi. Attach the modem to the WAN port.
This way you measure routing performance.

Diogen.

Screen shot 2011-04-29 at 8.20.26 PM.png

I have my DNS set to google's 8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4 vallues. Also, Comast doesn't pony up logins. When you go to 192.168.100.1, you can see the screen of the modem... any configuration beyond that screen your sol!

I don't exactly remember how I configured my moms router with TWC but you may try Logging into your modem and write down the primary and secondary DNS values. Then log into your router setup menu and change the DNS settings from Auto/Dynamic to pppoe (I think it is) manually enter those DNS settings. Before changing any of the router settings write them down so if this doesn't work you can go back. I wouldn't recommend going back to the default settings though. If you are still having the problems contact belkin.

Frank, PPOe is supposedly for DSL, and is separate from DNS settings. It says "PPPoE - f you use a DSL modem and/or your ISP gave you a User Name and Password, then your connection type is PPPoE. Use this connection type. "

PPoE does have a setting for Max Transmission Unit, which goes from 500 - 1500.

DNS is separate, and I am using Open DNS for it (I actually switched temporarily back to Comcast, but it did not do anything).

I get that the wireless might be slower, but 36 (which Bob gets) is a helluva lot faster than 19 - 22.

View attachment 64577

I have my DNS set to google's 8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.4 vallues. Also, Comast doesn't pony up logins. When you go to 192.168.100.1, you can see the screen of the modem... any configuration beyond that screen your sol!

I use Open DNS instead of google as it filters stuff from my kid. My desktop is on google. But I have tested on various DNS to see if there is a difference, and there does not appear to be.

I looked at the Motorola modem screen, it is showing lower power levels, say 3 and 2 dbmV, with 36 for signal to noise. But the Motorola seems to have absolutely NO configurable things.

Try it one step at a time.

1. Turn off wireless. Turn off DHCP.
2. Attach the modem to one LAN connector, the computer - to another.
This way you measure switching capabilities of your router. Do you get 50MB?

3. Keep all the same and turn on WiFi. Anything changed?
Wireless radios DO have effect on overall performance due to heat.

4. Turn of WiFi. Attach the modem to the WAN port.
This way you measure routing performance.

Diogen.

Diogen, this is a good idea. I will try this tomorrow (my wife will be gone, so she won't care if the internet is down for her). I'll do that. It makes sense.

I would also be willing to pull out my old Linksys router and just connect it to the modem, and to the laptop (wired) and see if it works. If it does, I could setup the Belkin as a Wireless Access Point. But last resort, as the linksys is not a gigabit router.

Is it a gigabit router or a standard 10/100... To see the full speed you will need a gigabit router, as with network overhead it will cut down on the speed your router can handle. Router does make a diffrence!

I have a linksys WRT310N and I see those speeds only through the gigabit ports.. Thorugh my wireless N I see roughly 30 megs...

With having 50MB speeds you should not need a gigabit router. As long as your WAN port supports 100MB you should be fine. Wireless has to many variables. You may be using N but you might not have those speeds due to distance and what is in between you and your router.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)