router needed for mrv?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cave1376

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Hells waiting room (El Paso,TX)
Do I need a router for mrv? The csr told me I needed a router in order for the mrv to work. I don't have a computer at home.

I will be getting a hddvr and a hd reciever added to the sd set up I currently have. I have a p3 dish, r15 and d11. The p3 will be replaced with a slimline 5. I am keeping the r15 and d11 and will add the hd and hddvr.

Do you have DECA installed? If so, I believe it will work without a router. The router would only be needed for an internet connection.

I don't believe you need a router. for a network connection either. I think I read somewhere that a crossover ethernet cable connected between two DVRs or DVR and receiver will work just fine. Getting DirecTV to authorize this is another problem.

I don't have deca because I currently have sd only. I called D* and ordered hd upgrade along with a hddvr and a hd rcvr. They will be added to my current two rcvr setup. I have one r15 sddvr and one d11rcvr. I will have four rcvrs after the up grade.

I don't know what rcvrs I will get. The install will be 09/08 between 12 noon and 4p.m.

Last edited:
Without a router, they will self-assign IP addresses and a subnet mask. That may take a little while, but once these are assigned, operation is just as fast.

Directv's whole-home DVR setup requires a SWM, which is incompatible with your R15 and D11. These will be replaced with a R16 and D12 (which won't do MRV).

Thanks for the info.

I know the r15 and d11 are not swim compatable. I believe they will be connected to the legacy ports on the switch which has a total of 3 legacy ports. The r15 has 2 tuners and the d11 has one. I also believe the legacy ports do not transmit 99° and 101° sats.

The hd/hddvr will use three of the eight swm out puts.

Is this correct?

Do I need a router for mrv? The csr told me I needed a router in order for the mrv to work. I don't have a computer at home.

I will be getting a hddvr and a hd reciever added to the sd set up I currently have. I have a p3 dish, r15 and d11. The p3 will be replaced with a slimline 5. I am keeping the r15 and d11 and will add the hd and hddvr.

Just run a cat-5 cable between the HD DVR and the HD receiver. Then call and have it activated on your account. $3 per month.

Just run a cat-5 cable between the HD DVR and the HD receiver. Then call and have it activated on your account. $3 per month.

So, all I need to do is connect my HR-23 DVR and my H-23 HD receiver with CAT 5 (or 6 as referenced in other posts) and then call D*TV to activate Whole Home DVR? I don't need a DECA or a router (or even a switch) to simply see the dvr on the H23 receiver? That's all I want to do. Someone please confirm or refute this for me. It sounds way too easy.

So, all I need to do is connect my HR-23 DVR and my H-23 HD receiver with CAT 5 (or 6 as referenced in other posts) and then call D*TV to activate Whole Home DVR? I don't need a DECA or a router (or even a switch) to simply see the dvr on the H23 receiver? That's all I want to do. Someone please confirm or refute this for me. It sounds way too easy.

It's that easy as long as Directv plays along: Instructions to get MRV (whole home DVR) activated for ethernet - SatelliteGuys.US

Or, this may save reading and headache: http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv...ns-get-mrv-whole-home-dvr-12.html#post2288522

Thanks, Armchair! :up That's good info for folks who just want to connect two devices. And I know what you mean by "as long as Directv plays along". My results with customer service have been mixed (at best) so far.

Status
Please reply by conversation.