router needed for mrv?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

cave1376

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Hells waiting room (El Paso,TX)
Do I need a router for mrv? The csr told me I needed a router in order for the mrv to work. I don't have a computer at home.

I will be getting a hddvr and a hd reciever added to the sd set up I currently have. I have a p3 dish, r15 and d11. The p3 will be replaced with a slimline 5. I am keeping the r15 and d11 and will add the hd and hddvr.

Do you have DECA installed? If so, I believe it will work without a router. The router would only be needed for an internet connection.

I don't believe you need a router. for a network connection either. I think I read somewhere that a crossover ethernet cable connected between two DVRs or DVR and receiver will work just fine. Getting DirecTV to authorize this is another problem.

I don't have deca because I currently have sd only. I called D* and ordered hd upgrade along with a hddvr and a hd rcvr. They will be added to my current two rcvr setup. I have one r15 sddvr and one d11rcvr. I will have four rcvrs after the up grade.

I don't know what rcvrs I will get. The install will be 09/08 between 12 noon and 4p.m.

Last edited:
Without a router, they will self-assign IP addresses and a subnet mask. That may take a little while, but once these are assigned, operation is just as fast.

Directv's whole-home DVR setup requires a SWM, which is incompatible with your R15 and D11. These will be replaced with a R16 and D12 (which won't do MRV).

Thanks for the info.

I know the r15 and d11 are not swim compatable. I believe they will be connected to the legacy ports on the switch which has a total of 3 legacy ports. The r15 has 2 tuners and the d11 has one. I also believe the legacy ports do not transmit 99° and 101° sats.

The hd/hddvr will use three of the eight swm out puts.

Is this correct?

Do I need a router for mrv? The csr told me I needed a router in order for the mrv to work. I don't have a computer at home.

I will be getting a hddvr and a hd reciever added to the sd set up I currently have. I have a p3 dish, r15 and d11. The p3 will be replaced with a slimline 5. I am keeping the r15 and d11 and will add the hd and hddvr.

Just run a cat-5 cable between the HD DVR and the HD receiver. Then call and have it activated on your account. $3 per month.

Just run a cat-5 cable between the HD DVR and the HD receiver. Then call and have it activated on your account. $3 per month.

So, all I need to do is connect my HR-23 DVR and my H-23 HD receiver with CAT 5 (or 6 as referenced in other posts) and then call D*TV to activate Whole Home DVR? I don't need a DECA or a router (or even a switch) to simply see the dvr on the H23 receiver? That's all I want to do. Someone please confirm or refute this for me. It sounds way too easy.

So, all I need to do is connect my HR-23 DVR and my H-23 HD receiver with CAT 5 (or 6 as referenced in other posts) and then call D*TV to activate Whole Home DVR? I don't need a DECA or a router (or even a switch) to simply see the dvr on the H23 receiver? That's all I want to do. Someone please confirm or refute this for me. It sounds way too easy.

It's that easy as long as Directv plays along: Instructions to get MRV (whole home DVR) activated for ethernet - SatelliteGuys.US

Or, this may save reading and headache: http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv...ns-get-mrv-whole-home-dvr-12.html#post2288522

Thanks, Armchair! :up That's good info for folks who just want to connect two devices. And I know what you mean by "as long as Directv plays along". My results with customer service have been mixed (at best) so far.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)