RSN's HD no longer to be spot beamed ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
okay, jimbo, this is a totally stupid question and i apologize in advance for asking it. if you are in the detroit spot beam are you in a northern ohio spot beam?

i don't agree but i think i understand what charper is saying. the leagues are no doubt going by zip codes, irregardless of how far away you live?

yikwa, my head is spinning!!

Its very simple. Right now D* is only turning on people in those markets and not all those that can receive the spotbeam.

The reason is obvious.

The spotbeams are steerable and can be adjusted which they are continuing to do.

They know the metro will never be out of the spotbeam. What happens when you are on the outer area and they adjust the beam so you loose it and start raising hell?

What about that you can get it but a neighbor cannot due to their Ka install happening a different time than yours and the birds were not "in the box" but on the outer edges.

Right now, as seen with the change of 1920x1080i to 1280x1080i, its better never to give it and then take it away than the never offer it until you really can.

Hello everyone. I live in the Bloomington/Peoria DMA and would like to watch the Cubs play this season on Comcast HD. Is this possible in my area? Also, should I contact D* for an AT9 and H20?

Thanks! :cool:

okay, jimbo, this is a totally stupid question and i apologize in advance for asking it. if you are in the detroit spot beam are you in a northern ohio spot beam?

i don't agree but i think i understand what charper is saying. the leagues are no doubt going by zip codes, irregardless of how far away you live?

yikwa, my head is spinning!!
Iceturkee,
I am in the Ohio spotbeam entirely because of zip codes being in Ohio, but recieve NOTHING from them in HD, no Blue Jackets, Reds or Indians, or Cav's for that matter.

I am in the Detroit spot beam as well, but D* doesn't accept it. Although I have always been allowed to recieve the SD signal and still do, why the HD signal rules are any different I don't know.

Jimbo

Last edited:
Yes, to a certian extent.
See in reality, I Toledo, Sylvania, Ohio SHOULD be in the Detroit RSN area, being only 48 miles from Detroit, however due to whoever makes these rules decides that my area should belong to the Cleveland and Cincy area, Cleveland is 2.5 -3 hours away and Cincy is closer to 4.
btw, I get neither in HD either.

I have talked to FSN Detroit and they said that D* needs to turn it on for me, I amin the Detroit spot beam, I get a SS of 90+ on thier transponder.

D* says it's not thier call, it's a zip code issue, I am in Ohio (zip) not a Mich zip.
FSN D would love to have the Toledo/Sylvania area to be shown in HD.

I am trying to get an answer to find out who makes these desigins and talk to them, but so far no luck.
I emailed with a guy from the Tigers and he looked into it and said that the individual teams had nothing to do with it, that it was a D* matter.

So you see how the plot has turned full circle.
I still think it is a D* issue, probably the fact that they need more bandwidth... although this would be on the MPEG4 side, hence, not a bandwidth issue.

Jimbo

I understand your situation ~ Mine is similar, but the oposite. I follow mostly Pittsburgh sports which are in my state, but further away than Balt/Wash, which is designated as my RSN. So I get the closer team, but not the team I want vs. getting the in-state teams that are further away (definitely confusing!)

So I pay extra for the sport pack and NHL Center Ice, but only get the games in SD (unless I get the rare game on 95). Broadcasting the HD RSN's on a CONUS would be so much more benificial, and would be no different than what they are already making available outside of a person's DMA/RSN area, just better pq.

While I have already thrown in my 2 cents, here are 2 more ~ As D* is by far the way to go for sports fans, why not have the CSR's remotely educated?!? The responses that I have received over the years are mind-boggling. I know blackout rules can be confusing, but D* should at least teach the CSR's what they are! And quit cutting the feed the second the games ends... once again I missed the post game on Hockey Night in Canada after the Leaf/Oiler game! The feed came back on 9 minutes later when the west coast game began... was that 9 minutes hurting anyone? It was the same broadcast, just changing to the second game!

I understand your situation ~ Mine is similar, but the oposite. I follow mostly Pittsburgh sports which are in my state, but further away than Balt/Wash, which is designated as my RSN. So I get the closer team, but not the team I want vs. getting the in-state teams that are further away (definitely confusing!)

So I pay extra for the sport pack and NHL Center Ice, but only get the games in SD (unless I get the rare game on 95). Broadcasting the HD RSN's on a CONUS would be so much more benificial, and would be no different than what they are already making available outside of a person's DMA/RSN area, just better pq.

While I have already thrown in my 2 cents, here are 2 more ~ As D* is by far the way to go for sports fans, why not have the CSR's remotely educated?!? The responses that I have received over the years are mind-boggling. I know blackout rules can be confusing, but D* should at least teach the CSR's what they are! And quit cutting the feed the second the games ends... once again I missed the post game on Hockey Night in Canada after the Leaf/Oiler game! The feed came back on 9 minutes later when the west coast game began... was that 9 minutes hurting anyone? It was the same broadcast, just changing to the second game!

Yes, it sounds like your issue is the exact opposite :confused:

Last edited:
Iceturkee,
I am in the Ohio spotbeam entirely because of zip codes being in Ohio, but recieve NOTHING from them in HD, no Blue Jackets, Reds or Indians, or Cav's for that matter.

I am in the Detroit spot beam as well, but D* doesn't accept it. Although I have always been allowed to recieve the SD signal and still do, why the HD signal rules are any different I don't know.

Jimbo

My theory on this issue is that even though you are in the Detroit spot beam, like I am in the Boston and NY ones, D* doesn't want reception issues for those that are in weak signal areas. Around here, some have "moved" to Boston to get NESN hd. They have no trouble with the signal, but if they are far enough away, they might, even though they are in the NESN sd territory. That's why I think D* will move the hd rsn's to CONUS when they can, that is, when the new sats are up. Does that make sense?

My theory on this issue is that even though you are in the Detroit spot beam, like I am in the Boston and NY ones, D* doesn't want reception issues for those that are in weak signal areas. Around here, some have "moved" to Boston to get NESN hd. They have no trouble with the signal, but if they are far enough away, they might, even though they are in the NESN sd territory. That's why I think D* will move the hd rsn's to CONUS when they can, that is, when the new sats are up. Does that make sense?
This is where my whole discussion started again .....
I asked if When the HD RSN's went Conus, I should then be able to my FSN HD signal and I was happy to see that was going to happen, my original post asked when this would happen, if anyone had heard.
However this whole thread went haywire, I know everyone is trying to help and I appreciate that, but I truley don't think there is anything I can do to change anything, unless the individual leagues would sit down and listen to me, and we know thatain't happenin, if they would, I would have to come up with a longer list of things Iwould need to talk to them about.
LIKE Blackouts, when you PAY EXTRA for a package.

Jimbo

well, at least, baseball is only a few months away!!!

If you check out the schedule of the Reds, they are showing on there that they are going to be doing some games in HD. YEAH!!!!!!!!!!

Conus

CONtinental US !

yeah, ramy, i saw that.....something like 31 games to be broadcast in hd. i just noticed today (tuesday) that 73 marlin and 38 dray games will be in hd!!

Why dont you just change your service address to the Detroit area Jimbo? I suspect maybe its because you dont want to lose all your Ohio SD RSN's?

Why dont you just change your service address to the Detroit area Jimbo? I suspect maybe its because you dont want to lose all your Ohio SD RSN's?

I just don't want to deal with changing addresses, I feel that I am close enough that I should get it with out any of that stuff needed to be done, after all EVERY D* employee told me that I would definatly get the FSN - D in HD because I already get the SD signal.

According to the engeneer at FSN, he said it will be up in August anyways, so I will just wait.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)