RSN's Now All Gone - NESN dropped

zippyfrog

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
Chicago, IL
Last night Dish dropped it's remaining RSN it carried. NESN is no longer on Dish. This Dish Promise page updates us that they offered to keep NESN as a standalone package or "select Dish packages"

Reactions: charlesrshell
No question it was a matter of time. The RSN's are just not willing to work with different models and DISH is not willing to pay the price.
For me only really interested in Baseball (Football isn't RSN) luckily the MLBTV app is terrific and allows listening to the radio broadcasters in sync with the TV picture so I like that better if I want to still watch. And it can easily in several ways be on my large screen TV with at least if not better picture than DISH had. I haven't been as big a sports fan over the last couple of years so all of it isn't as big a deal at the moment.

The problem I'm seeing is this.
As providers drop RSNs, local sports programming and events will become invisible.
Because if blackout ( outdated) rules, streaming for those residing within territorial boundaries of their teams will be unable to watch their home team games.
Something has got to give.

This might be the end of my time as a Dish customer. The husband lives for NESN. Dish will definitely be losing a lot of customers in New England over this.
Watch comcast and spectrum pick up business dtv also has NESN. The good thing with direct is I can get NESN in CA

Reactions: scoob83
Damn... I'm late to the "party". Didn't know about NESN until yesterday, when I attempted to watch the Bruins. This sucks. I planned on calling Dish Loyalty when my contract's up, but that's not for another 2 months. Figured I'd see what they could so, before possibly switching to Fubo. Guess I'll be missing Bruins games for awhile.

Last edited:
As I have always said, if a viewer wants unlimited Sports, then Direct TV is a better choice. I am not into Sports, so Dish is the best for me.
Wrong, they don't have the Pac12 Network so people out in the rural areas of Oregon are screwed and the only way they can watch both the Ducks and Mariners is to pay for both Dish and DirecTV...

I recommend people switch to a better TV provider. Your bill isn't going to go down because of this and Dish is going to go bankrupt over these lost customers.

Wrong, they don't have the Pac12 Network so people out in the rural areas of Oregon are screwed and the only way they can watch both the Ducks and Mariners is to pay for both Dish and DirecTV...

I recommend people switch to a better TV provider. Your bill isn't going to go down because of this and Dish is going to go bankrupt over these lost customers.
That’s assuming a majority were watching those channels.

Also, Dish customers bills would change. Considering the RSN fee is broken out matching the RSNs you get.

The problem is the RSN's can NEVER survive without passing the cost on to subscriber who NEVER watch RSN's ever. The monthly charge as a seperate subscriptions price would likely bankrupt the RSN's. RSN's have no choice, and one has to remember that old Rupert Murdoch unloaded many of those RSN's because he saw they were no longer going to be money makers in the new TV entertainment landscape. Murdoch kept the FS 1 & 2 channels. Then Disney CHOOSE to keep the ESPN's and unload the RSN's (the Justice Dept. told Disney they could keep one or the other, but not both) on the first fool to buy the "magic beans." Not all companies have the same level of smarts as other companies do.

The problem is the RSN's can NEVER survive without passing the cost on to subscriber who NEVER watch RSN's ever. The monthly charge as a seperate subscriptions price would likely bankrupt the RSN's. RSN's have no choice, and one has to remember that old Rupert Murdoch unloaded many of those RSN's because he saw they were no longer going to be money makers in the new TV entertainment landscape. Murdoch kept the FS 1 & 2 channels. Then Disney CHOOSE to keep the ESPN's and unload the RSN's (the Justice Dept. told Disney they could keep one or the other, but not both) on the first fool to buy the "magic beans." Not all companies have the same level of smarts as other companies do.
Then that is a terrible product to attempt to be selling. This isn’t at you, but essentially to core of the argument:

“It’s not fair, if people that don’t like us don’t pay for us, the. We can’t survive and there is not enough people that like us under that same model for us to survive either, but it’s not fair that nobody wants us”.

So really... what is this blackout stuff trying to accomplish? As far as I understand, they want to make sure you watch your local team on whatever they deem is your local team broadcast.

So why not - if we pay for/buy the hockey package THEY are charging for - why not simply - based on the location they are using to black you out - simply use that same technology and say that the only feed you can access is the local SN feed?

For all other games, you can get your home team or visiting team feed. If you are forced to get what THEY consider to be your home team - just give us THAT feed. We'll see your damn local commercials, we'll see the lousy local commentators - BUT - we'll see the team we wanted to see.

Why make it mandatory that your basic TV subscription must be the place you have to watch the game?

Had an odd thing happen the other day.Info-Hopper 3 and Top 200 in Vermont.
Since I grew up near Philly I like to watch the Sixers occasionally.Like if they pop up on ABC or espn or NBA tv.In other words as part of Top 200 package-nothing extra.
I have them entered in the sports finder.On Friday night it reminded me they were playing on I think channel 470 against the Miami Heat.In any case it was an alternative sports channel.I got there before the game started and the screen was showing the usual ad for the multi sport pack .Once the game started it was a Miami feed with Miami announcers.Occasionally I was reminded that it was a Bally channel.
So what the heck happened?I"m not complaining-just wondering why I had access to that game.

Had an odd thing happen the other day.Info-Hopper 3 and Top 200 in Vermont.
Since I grew up near Philly I like to watch the Sixers occasionally.Like if they pop up on ABC or espn or NBA tv.In other words as part of Top 200 package-nothing extra.
I have them entered in the sports finder.On Friday night it reminded me they were playing on I think channel 470 against the Miami Heat.In any case it was an alternative sports channel.I got there before the game started and the screen was showing the usual ad for the multi sport pack .Once the game started it was a Miami feed with Miami announcers.Occasionally I was reminded that it was a Bally channel.
So what the heck happened?I"m not complaining-just wondering why I had access to that game.

NBA League Pass has a free preview January 14-21.

Dish uses Bally and a majority of the other RSNs for the sports packages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I liked watching their (college) Hockey East games this time of year. Not sure which side to blame. ...But my contracts up soon which gives me the option to take advantage of new customer pricing with their competitors.

This might be the end of my time as a Dish customer. The husband lives for NESN. Dish will definitely be losing a lot of customers in New England over this.
Oh, they'll definitely lose customers. The Red Sox are BIG in New England. The season might start late while MLB and the Players Union work out a deal. But once they do…

I can remember in the "Old Days" when you would get to watch some run over of a Baseball game on a out of area RSN when the game when over the time Dish had allotted.

• Wow
Switch to a better provider folks. This company is so screwed without these channels that I can't watch but I'm still paying for since my bill didn't go down...I will not hear another argument. Bankruptcy is inevitable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)