RSNs still part-time HD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I see it this way. Dish is more invested in showing the sporting event in HD, not so much the pre-game and other fluff that these channels have 24/7. DirecTV is OK with everything being on the HD channel whether it's HD or SD programming. So, Dish is using HD transponder space more efficiently by giving us more HD channels by not taking up that space for fluff. I get to see my HD sports just fine, most of the time, and it is much better than before, and I get other HD channels that might interest me..... Just a thought.

Wow! Dish still doesn't offer full time HD RSNs??? You pay all that money for TV and can't even get your RSN in HD full time? Even cable offers local RSNs full time in HD, as does DirecTV.

You forget, it works both ways. Direct Still doesn't offer BBCA, RFDTV, ID, National Geo Wild, or History 2 and many more channels in HD? You pay more for Direct TV generally and can't get those channels in HD? Even Cable offers some of those channels in HD. Direct Still doesn't have Epix? Direct doesn't have the NFLZ without having to spend for the whole NFL package? They must have Superstations.

My point is your statement is ridiculous. They are different companies with different priorities, different programming choices. My wife enjoying BBCA today in HD for the Queen's celebration (or me watching Top Gear) is more worth it to me than the junk shown most of the time on many of the RSN's when there is no pro game. Choices.

Tampa8 said:
You forget, it works both ways. Direct Still doesn't offer BBCA, RFDTV, ID, National Geo Wild, or History 2 and many more channels in HD? You pay more for Direct TV generally and can't get those channels in HD? Even Cable offers some of those channels in HD. Direct Still doesn't have Epix? Direct doesn't have the NFLZ without having to spend for the whole NFL package? They must have Superstations.

My point is your statement is ridiculous. They are different companies with different priorities, different programming choices. My wife enjoying BBCA today in HD for the Queen's celebration (or me watching Top Gear) is more worth it to me than the junk shown most of the time on many of the RSN's when there is no pro game. Choices.

And dish still doesn't have ESPN U, ESPNews, Disney, Disney XD, or ABC Family in HD yet. All of those are available on cable in my area and I think it's pretty safe to say they are more mainstream channels than the ones Directv is missing.

I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record (I feel like I have to make a MASN comment at least once a week), but I would be THRILLED if Dish would at least offer my team's games in HD - MASN shows all O's and Nat's games, and they currently do not have any HD arangement with Dish. I would LOVE to have a part-time HD RSN, even if a few of the games weren't in HD due to transponder space (which I thought they had plenty of on the Eastern Arc). Right now, Baltimore/Washington subscribers only get a handful of local simulcast games in HD.

And dish still doesn't have ESPN U, ESPNews, Disney, Disney XD, or ABC Family in HD yet. All of those are available on cable in my area and I think it's pretty safe to say they are more mainstream channels than the ones Directv is missing.

Depends on the household. We do not watch any of those you listed except ABC Family. We DO watch every channel I listed, which is why I know Direct does not have them. So no, I can't agree those are more mainstream. (And there are more I did not list) But honestly that isn't the point. The post I responded to is one sided and ignores a huge reason I and others do not have Direct TV, even though they would be my second choice.
Your post just further proves my whole point of my response. If those channels and RSN's full time in HD were important, I would most likely have Direct TV. None of that is. What Dish happens to offer is, including most games on RSN's in HD.*

* Sorry to those that get MASN. :)

Last edited:
Tampa8 said:
Depends on the household. We do not watch any of those you listed except ABC Family. We DO watch every channel I listed, which is why I know Direct does not have them. So no, I can't agree those are more mainstream. (And there are more I did not list) But honestly that isn't the point. The post I responded to is one sided and ignores a huge reason I and others do not have Direct TV, even though they would be my second choice.

I'm very happy with Dish and my hoppers. I just want these stupid disputes with Disney and AMC to stop.

Those channels are very mainstream. They are on my crappy cable provider along with almost every other provider. Epix and the other channels Directv is missing aren't even carried in SD on cable in my area. Not saying I don't appreciate having them. My family watches Epix constantly. Those channels are no where near as mainstream as ESPNU, Disney, and ABC Family though.

I'm very happy with Dish and my hoppers. I just want these stupid disputes with Disney and AMC to stop.

Those channels are very mainstream. They are on my crappy cable provider along with almost every other provider. Epix and the other channels Directv is missing aren't even carried in SD on cable in my area. Not saying I don't appreciate having them. My family watches Epix constantly. Those channels are no where near as mainstream as ESPNU, Disney, and ABC Family though.

I too wish that these stupid disputes would stop. They could, easily, if the Disney and AMC would stop asking more for their channels than they are worth. There is a reason why cable costs more than Dish, they pay these trumped up charges for programming and pass it along to their subscribers. As long as their subs continue to pay they will continue to pay whatever the programmers want. When the subs, or the provider, rebel, costs will stop rising at ridiculous rates...

+2

I must say DISH has done a much better job with HD on my local RSN here on west coast. I've noticed a lot less JIP games this season and I've had only one hiccup where one game couldn't be recorded but most every other game has at least started somewhere in the first inning when it did start. I've also noticed that some of my games are now on the 110 sat so it appears that DISH has added some more bandwidth for local MLB teams. There's also a lot less threads about this this season.
In southern California the pro baseball games on the Fox RSN's are almost always in HD. I can't remember the last time I watched a Dodger game in SD. On rare occasions an Angels game comes on in SD. Not being a big Angels fan, I just skip those games.

The problem comes during college football season. When UCLA and USC are being shown on an RSN, it is hit and miss whether it will be in HD or SD. Thankfully, many weeks UCLA and USC are on other networks. But 4 or 5 times a season either UCLA or USC or both will be shown on an RSN in SD. It is extremely frustrating, knowing that the games are produced in HD but Dish doesn't let us see them.

In southern California the pro baseball games on the Fox RSN's are almost always in HD. I can't remember the last time I watched a Dodger game in SD. On rare occasions an Angels game comes on in SD. Not being a big Angels fan, I just skip those games.

The problem comes during college football season. When UCLA and USC are being shown on an RSN, it is hit and miss whether it will be in HD or SD. Thankfully, many weeks UCLA and USC are on other networks. But 4 or 5 times a season either UCLA or USC or both will be shown on an RSN in SD. It is extremely frustrating, knowing that the games are produced in HD but Dish doesn't let us see them.

This isn't always the case but many of the College football games from the RSNs show up on the HD ALTS instead of the HD RSN channel number. I like this because I frequently get pac 12 and other college football and basketball on the ALTS in HD even when they aren't carried by my own RSN in SD. No sports pack necessary.

Last edited:
Here in Chicago, almost every game has been in HD. I really only watch the Bulls and the Cubs, and I know for a fact that every single Bulls game on CSN Chicago was in HD this year, and every time I have turned on the Cubs on CSN, they have been in HD. Even the Chicago Fire MLS games have been in HD. So pro sports have been very good in terms of being in HD. I can only recall one Sox game that wasn't in HD, and that was a game in Oakland when bandwidth was being divided between MLB, NBA, and NHL seasons.

Every USC game that was on an RSN last year was in HD. Sometimes you have to look at the Alternate channels to find it but it was there. Being a huge USC fan for nearly 60 years, I look for this stuff...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)