RTN & AMC 9

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

tvropro

On Vacation
Original poster
Mar 9, 2007
Well I went out today and tweaked my 90 CM Primestar for RTN. When I moved it to that bird it was the first week of January and it was very cold and icy. Here's what I saw. I gained a few quality points by squeezing every last drop out of it. It is sunny here and weather looked good at the uplink so I said its time to do it.

I know people are saying they have been having issues with these and LEO 1 interfering. I never had any interference but figured it don't hurt to try to gain every last drop of quality.

I suggest if you are having ANY issues to go out there when the weather is good both at your location and at Lukens uplink, and fine tune to the max. Go slow and get your adjustments right in the middle of the response curve. You may solve any issues you have.

Good Luck :)

Well I went out today and tweaked my 90 CM Primestar for RTN. When I moved it to that bird it was the first week of January and it was very cold and icy. Here's what I saw. I gained a few quality points by squeezing every last drop out of it. It is sunny here and weather looked good at the uplink so I said its time to do it.

I know people are saying they have been having issues with these and LEO 1 interfering. I never had any interference but figured it don't hurt to try to gain every last drop of quality.

I suggest if you are having ANY issues to go out there when the weather is good both at your location and at Lukens uplink, and fine tune to the max. Go slow and get your adjustments right in the middle of the response curve. You may solve any issues you have.

Good Luck :)

TVROPRO,

Thank you. I hope the suggestion helps someone, but unfortunately, it has not helped me (YET). I have been fighting this for a long time and I have done everything I can think of without actually moving to a new residence or state and since this LEO-1 came on line, I have been basically screwed.

I was watching these RTN channels the most for a while there, then they went in the dumpster when LEO-1 came on line.

I have tried different LNBFs, different receivers (makes and models), different dishes (makes models sizes) I moved the dish location a bit, and it is not improving. It is actually getting worse and I can go back to my original setup and it is the same. So, in my location (specifically) RTN is too weak and LEO-1 is too strong that no matter what I do will overcome it.

So far, that is how it seems.

The only thing that I have not tried yet is a totally different brand of LNBF. That may be a next step for me. Right now, there is just too many other things going on that I don't have the time to experiment with this like I would like to.

Hey, you understand how life is. Priorities first.

Thanks for the input, if I find a super solution, I will certainly post it.

RADAR

Why would Bell 82 drown out AMC9? They're on 2 different frequency ranges
Bell is from 12.2-12.75 Ghz
AMC9 is 11.7-12.2

TVROPRO,

Thank you. I hope the suggestion helps someone, but unfortunately, it has not helped me (YET). I have been fighting this for a long time and I have done everything I can think of without actually moving to a new residence or state and since this LEO-1 came on line, I have been basically screwed.

I was watching these RTN channels the most for a while there, then they went in the dumpster when LEO-1 came on line.

I have tried different LNBFs, different receivers (makes and models), different dishes (makes models sizes) I moved the dish location a bit, and it is not improving. It is actually getting worse and I can go back to my original setup and it is the same. So, in my location (specifically) RTN is too weak and LEO-1 is too strong that no matter what I do will overcome it.

So far, that is how it seems.

The only thing that I have not tried yet is a totally different brand of LNBF. That may be a next step for me. Right now, there is just too many other things going on that I don't have the time to experiment with this like I would like to.

Hey, you understand how life is. Priorities first.

Thanks for the input, if I find a super solution, I will certainly post it.

RADAR

Im using the stock NJR (National Japan Radio) LNB and feed horn that came with the 90cm Primestar I found in the garbage. I had a bit of trouble with RTN taking longer to lock up when Leo-1 fired up and played with the SR and freq.

I am currently using

Freq: 11740
SR: 4.440

RTN E:
Vpid 32
Apid 33
PCR 32

RTN W:
Vpid 37
Apid 38
PCR 37

It locks right away now. I don't know if this can help anyone but hope so.

In your case AcWxRadar I hate to say it but you may need quite a larger dish 4-6 foot ku to bring RTN way up so Leo-1 no longer will be an issue. Also larger dishes have a tighter beamwidth and are less prone to interference from other sources. My 90 actually is taller then wider which rejects adjacent satellites better.

Last edited:
Why would Bell 82 drown out AMC9? They're on 2 different frequency ranges
Bell is from 12.2-12.75 Ghz
AMC9 is 11.7-12.2
i been talking to a couple people that were saying the same thing .i have no problems geting 82 or 87 but cant find 83 .unless im doing something wrong? im using a 39"dish and a std. lmb.but another thing i dont have 83 edit in my coolsat. woulden it tell or come up with something when you hit a sattelite ?
with 101 if you have a signal it comes up with 3abn up in the top right corner? inever tried editing a sattelite in a fta reciever.i was talking with a guy in st.johns having trouble finding itas well.:confused:

I can get RTN but only on the 1m dish Q70%.

My 8' solid does not want to lock it in.
I had it coming in at one time on the 8' but was breaking up too bad.

On my 8' I can get AMC9/3F with Q91% on the 1m it's a Q79%±2.

John

If your 8 foot is a spun aluminum with good surface accuracy, and tuned correctly it should blow the doors in on the 1 meter offset. Im not talking about a fiberglass or mesh, a solid reflector big dish. BTW fiberglass has mesh inside to reflect the signal.

If your 8 foot is a spun aluminum with good surface accuracy, and tuned correctly it should blow the doors in on the 1 meter offset. Im not talking about a fiberglass or mesh, a solid reflector big dish. BTW fiberglass has mesh inside to reflect the signal.

I agree, but the emphasis here should be on the "with good surface accuracy" part. Ie no reason why mesh or fiberglass should be inferior if the mesh had good shape, since the rf sees the mesh as a solid and there's probably only a % point or two difference in efficiency, which isn't observable. However it's easier to get the good shape with the solid metal dish.

After all, even the solid dish is ~100% empty space (ie between the atoms), so it's basically just a smaller mesh. :D

I agree, but the emphasis here should be on the "with good surface accuracy" part. Ie no reason why mesh or fiberglass should be inferior if the mesh had good shape, since the rf sees the mesh as a solid and there's probably only a % point or two difference in efficiency, which isn't observable. However it's easier to get the good shape with the solid metal dish.

After all, even the solid dish is ~100% empty space (ie between the atoms), so it's basically just a smaller mesh. :D

Surface accuracy and efficiency play a large roll here. Dings, dents etc can cause a host of losses. An excellent parabola coupled with a ku feed properly maximized will do give some awesome results on an 8 foot.

After January, the RTN signal changed for the better.

Those of you who can't get RTN could align your dishes better.

Azimuth
Elevation
LNBF Skew
LNBF position (is it at the focus?)

I'm no expert.

But, if I can get it, you can get it.

I'm wondering if the transponder at 11730 with color bars is interfering with RTN at 11735. I've scanned over and over and RTN comes in exactly at 11735 4430 according to my Traxis. It will not lock at 11740 or at 4440. I've peaked with a signal meter and get the other transponders at the highest I've ever seen this receiver get anything.
Has anyone done a spectrum analysis of the sat?

It's really weird that some people have problems and others don't. If this was a global thing everyone would have issues. I have posted what equipment I am using for RTN. The only other thing in line is a 4x1 DISEqC switch by DMSI. One thing I noticed is sometimes you need to shuffle the ports around on the DISEqC switch since they sometimes can interfere with each other and cut down the gain. Maybe those having trouble should hook the LNBF direct to the receiver and see if that may give them the extra signal to overcome this. Step by step analyzation of your system and trying different things may be the key.

Just for grins I blindscanned at the lowest setting on this Icon, (step of 2) and got this color bars channel. I'd had it before but lost it, comes in at 11728 H 4342....RTN is at 11734 4440..
Doesn't seem to bother RTN here, that's on a .90CM primestar with no switches. Getting 70/99 tonite with no rain. Same old goofy movie they had last Saturday night, they must be running out of Offbeat cinema shows....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)