RTN & AMC 9

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Forgive my ignorance. What is this LEO-1 everyone keeps writing about. Is this part of 83.0W°? What frequency is it? Or is it a siganl from a close satellite to AMC 9?:confused:

senseless

Makes no sense but I had to swap out the fortecstar universal ku lnb for a standard ku lnb and only then was I able to blindscan 83w.Tried 3 different receivers.The lnb worked fine for other sats.80cm dish is too puny, the best quality is only around 66 after tweaking the dish.Other transponders are higher quality.

Forgive my ignorance. What is this LEO-1 everyone keeps writing about. Is this part of 83.0W°? What frequency is it? Or is it a siganl from a close satellite to AMC 9?:confused:
It is a signal at 11729 on AMC9. LEO-1 is the network name it comes up with. It usually just has color bars on it.
Receivers that have trouble with locking on RTN often seem to lock on this signal instead of the nearby 11735 RTN signal. There is actually another signal to just lower than 11729 too. My complete wild guess is that depending on the size of freq tuning steps in receivers, they may tend to skip over the RTN signal if the LEO signal is bigger. Usually the two signals are about the same strength.

It is a signal at 11729 on AMC9. LEO-1 is the network name it comes up with. It usually just has color bars on it.
Receivers that have trouble with locking on RTN often seem to lock on this signal instead of the nearby 11735 RTN signal. There is actually another signal to just lower than 11729 too. My complete wild guess is that depending on the size of freq tuning steps in receivers, they may tend to skip over the RTN signal if the LEO signal is bigger. Usually the two signals are about the same strength.

Thanks for the insight B.J. I highly appreciate it.:D:up

Update for my RTN experience.

Since I have moved my 1.2 M GeoSatPro dish to a new location in the yard so that I could view Hispasat 1C/1D @ 30.0W, I have been fiddling with the alignment to peak it across the board using USALS for all satellites except 30W.

I was using my Coolsat 5K to adjust everything because I am so use to navigating its menus and it is just "my little buddy" if you know what I mean.

This morning I was trying everything to pull in the RTN feeds from 83.0W and still no luck. The two channels were listed in my channel lineup, but kept coming up with the "No Audio/Video" message.

I tried rescanning using BLIND SCAN, MANUAL SCAN and even the PID scan with the PID parameters set exactly. During the process, these channels were erased entirely from my list.

Since I cannot reload my backup channel list until I get a replacement for my USB adapter, I decided to hook up my new Fortec Dynamic receiver and test it once again.

BINGO!

I scanned 83.0W and pulled up both RTN channels, the Video-1 and the AMC-9/3F NBC news feed. The RTN channels were registered on TP 11.735 H SR 4.444, precisely as indicated on Lyngsat. I am showing a quality level of ~36% (jumping between 33% and 41% - I wish the meter was a little more stable than this, I will eventually get use to it I am sure, just takes some time).

The Video-1 signal quality is 53% to 64% and the AMC-9/3F feed is 59% to 68%.

I was unable to get this the other day when I tried the Fortec Dynamic receiver. I didn't check the weather at the uplink station, but it has been overcast to rainy here, so not the most optimum conditions.

RTN EAST
TP 11735/H/4444
VPID 32
APID 33
PCR PID 32

RTN WEST
TP 11735/H/4444
VPID 37
APID 38
PCR PID 37

VIDEO-1
TP 11728/H/4344
VPID 308
APID 256
PCR PID 8190

AMC-9/3F
TP 11775/H/4232
VPID 4130
APID 4131
PCR PID 4130

RADAR

Working in the rain here on my Pansat. Must be some receivers don't want to be RTN friendly.

Working in the rain here on my Pansat. Must be some receivers don't want to be RTN friendly.

TvroPro,

There is definitely a difference. I bought a few Pansat 2700A models. My brother is using them now and he can get the RTN channels, but never picks up the Video-1 channel. The Coolsat only wants to see the Video-1 channel and won't pick up the RTNs. The Dynamic picks up all of them! That of course is our results here near Omaha, NE and using the same equipment for the dish and the LNBF.

This also seems to vary with the weather/time of day here and at the uplink station.

I think that for some locations, RTN must just be so borderline that it can't hold its muster.

RADAR

TvroPro,

There is definitely a difference. I bought a few Pansat 2700A models. My brother is using them now and he can get the RTN channels, but never picks up the Video-1 channel. The Coolsat only wants to see the Video-1 channel and won't pick up the RTNs. The Dynamic picks up all of them! That of course is our results here near Omaha, NE and using the same equipment for the dish and the LNBF.

This also seems to vary with the weather/time of day here and at the uplink station.

I think that for some locations, RTN must just be so borderline that it can't hold its muster.

RADAR

My 2700A gets the RTN's and video 1 but video 1 does nothing to interfere with RTN. I knew I did something right when I bought the 2700 (actually I bought it for AC3 pass-through which it does flawless) Paid a bit more back then but it was worth the money. :D

Pansat 2500 settings

Hello, I lost my RTN on both my cs5000 and Pansat 2500. I had the settings at 11.735 and 04430 on both receivers. I changed the cs5000 11735 and 04440 and rescaned and the cs5000 came up with RTN. But nothing I can do with the Pansat 2500 will get my RTN to come back in.
Anyone using a Pansat 2500a have the proper working Freq, and SR. thanks

Don't have a ps 2500 but my ps 250sm picks up the rtn channels at 11736 with a s/r of 4440.

RTN was having minor break up for me yesterday, but its back up about 7-8 Q points on my Visionsat today. That was the first time I've experienced breakup on RTN...

RTN was having minor break up for me yesterday, but its back up about 7-8 Q points on my Visionsat today. That was the first time I've experienced breakup on RTN...

The only time I see breakup on RTN is when it rains here and takes out the signal. Im really surprised it hangs in there most of the time because the quality can waver around 28-32 quite a bit. Sometimes my Pansat amazes me. I used to see the Equity RTN muxes hang in there to about 13 quality before cliff effect.

Here is a trick to get the RTN channels to come in if you are having trouble with it.

Thanks go to Walrus1957!

I did this with my Coolsat 5K.

Go to MANUAL SCAN mode and select TP 11.735 H polarity.

Then EDIT the SYMBOL RATE by increasing it by 10 MS/s at a time.

If the interference from LEO-1 is what is causing your problems, you will increase the SR until LEO-1 unlocks. This may be upwards near 4.610 MS/s. You cannot go too high with this otherwise you will also lose the RTN signal lock, there is a limit which appears to be near 4.650 MS/s for the Coolsat 5K. Once the signal from LEO-1 unlocks its grip, you should be able to let the receiver sit idle in the MANUAL SCAN mode until the RTN signal locks on.

If the signal power from RTN is weak in your location, it may require you to wait for it to lock on. We were detecting approximately 70% signal quality on (the Coolsat 5Ks meter) with both a 76 cm and a 1.2 M dish with an Invacom QPH-031 LNBF.

Once the RTN signal finds a lock, then you can press OK to scan and both RTN channels should be found and remain locked.

Basically LEO-1 has a lower SR than RTN, so you want to set the range of the SR window high enough to cancel LEO-1 but still allow RTN.

Tested this on two unique Coolsat 5Ks in different locations and it worked fine. After it locks on to the RTN signal, it is hard to get it to unlock.

This worked for these Coolsat receivers, but the same theory should apply to other receivers as well, with possibly different SR settings.

RADAR

Here is a trick to get the RTN channels to come in if you are having trouble with it.

Thanks go to Walrus1957!

If the interference from LEO-1 is what is causing your problems, you will increase the SR until LEO-1 unlocks. This may be upwards near 4.610 MS/s. You cannot go too high with this otherwise you will also lose the RTN signal lock, there is a limit which appears to be near 4.650 MS/s for the Coolsat 5K. Once the signal from LEO-1 unlocks its grip, you should be able to let the receiver sit idle in the MANUAL SCAN mode until the RTN signal locks on.

If the signal power from RTN is weak in your location, it may require you to wait for it to lock on. We were detecting approximately 70% signal quality on (the Coolsat 5Ks meter) with both a 76 cm and a 1.2 M dish with an Invacom QPH-031 LNBF.

Once the RTN signal finds a lock, then you can press OK to scan and both RTN channels should be found and remain locked.

Basically LEO-1 has a lower SR than RTN, so you want to set the range of the SR window high enough to cancel LEO-1 but still allow RTN.

Tested this on two unique Coolsat 5Ks in different locations and it worked fine. After it locks on to the RTN signal, it is hard to get it to unlock.

This worked for these Coolsat receivers, but the same theory should apply to other receivers as well, with possibly different SR settings.

RADAR

Thanks for the tip. I'll try again tonight with my CS5K.

I was getting a Q of 87 last night locked onto RTNEAST (not the bars) with rain pouring down on my roof, so I know I'm dead on for alignment.

Thanks go to Walrus1957!

RADAR

Doesn't work with my Fortec Ultra :(

i have tried all suggestions in this thread and still fail to even find rtn. i can get test bars and that is all, have tried both Pansat and viewsat ultra with same results. have 36 inch dish with motor and eagle star pro lnb in south eastern ontario, all channels on gal 18 123w are fine. is anyone in my area getting rtn ok.

OK, this thread is a bit old but the problem is still around...it's 5:35 and June 30th to be exact. (As I type)

Does RTN know about this problem? I've tried to call and all I get is voicemail. Why would 2 providers be allowed to drown each other out like this? I still get that "Video 1" channel but no RTN. Really sucks because I spent an hour or so (in the rain mind you) getting a fixed dish set up for AMC-9. It's driving me up a wall!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)