RTN Gone on 83W?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bassist

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
South Carolina
Before going off to work last night, I was going to watch my fav rtn show, The Rockford Files. As soon as the theme song ended the pic & sound disappeared. The signal Q was still 70+% on 4444 and the NBC news test bars were still strong on another TP.

Anybody got a clue about what happened to RTN??

Is it still on 4444?

Reason why I'm asking is that I still got the "no video no audio" message this morning on my CS4000, but my quality reading is above 70% and the meter shows "locked". I manually scanned the TP, but no channels appeared. I also tried to blind scan, but still got no picture. The NBC test bars and test tone did scan in on TP3. There are no switches involved & the LNBF is a the little red Sat Tracker II.

working here on a Coolsat 5000

If you have signal but no pic I've learned to channel up/down and that seems to fix it

RTN

Hi all.I'm using a fortec ultra and have been trying for a while to get rtn on 83w.But no such luck. I've tried scanning by using power scan transponder scan etc.I get strong signals on the transponders because I use a 33" dish.I even entered the freq. and transponder and symbol rate directly. The only channel I get on this sat is the nbc colour bar channel,thats all .Anyone have any Idea..Thanks

Hi all.I'm using a fortec ultra and have been trying for a while to get rtn on 83w.But no such luck. I've tried scanning by using power scan transponder scan etc.I get strong signals on the transponders because I use a 33" dish.I even entered the freq. and transponder and symbol rate directly. The only channel I get on this sat is the nbc colour bar channel,thats all .Anyone have any Idea..Thanks

I'm having the same problem, Fortec Star Mercury II with a 90 cm dish, some people can't get it, others get it with no problem.

I got rtn back by more-or-less doing what lotech did. The only difference was that after deleting the channels, blindscanning did not restore the picture. So I deleted again, set the TP on 4444 in the manual scan screen, then switched to autoscan. Presto, after autoscanning, RTN W & E were there again. At least I know what to try first next time.

Enter the TP info manually. (I use 11734H, 4445) YMMV

Fine tune the LNBF skew. Adjust it until you get the best quality.

Fine tune dish aiming.

If all that fails... Get a separate dish, pointed at 83W to make the fine tuning easier. :eek: That's what I did. It was worth it.

My setup:

Receiver - Fortec Mercury II
Quality threshold is about 30% IIRC. (below which the receiver will not lock and give a picture)

Fortec 90cm dish on a motor
pointed at 83W
11775H - 50%-54% Q
11734H - Nothing

ADTH 87cm fixed dish
pointed at 83W
11775H - 60%-70% Q
11734H - 40%-42% Q

If you have a single dish on a motor, I feel for your situation. In my opinion, setting up a motorized Ku dish well is difficult to do. (at least, I'm not very good at it.)

edit - Anyway, with that marginal motor dish setup, I can get everything else from 74w to 129 w.

There has been a lot of discussion about this. Do a search for threads about this for more info.

Last edited:
That's a Coolsat quirk, too? Any of your other boxes behave this same way? Inquiring mind wants to know...

With my Digiwave7000 there is one channel on G18 if I use my channel up button, it to change to that channel, then sometimes I get a picture and sometimes I don't. I do get the audio though. If I use the channel down button, I always get the picture. Only happens on one particular channel.

I haven't had any luck pulling in RTN off this bird.

My CS5000 says the Q is a hair too low. It's hovering around 63.
Typically, I need a good 66 or better to lock it in.

Maybe I need a better LNB, bigger dish, or lower db loss switch to get it.

I haven't had any luck pulling in RTN off this bird.

My CS5000 says the Q is a hair too low. It's hovering around 63.
Typically, I need a good 66 or better to lock it in.

RTN is a bear to lock in on a smaller dish. It took me forever to get 66Q on my 31 inch dish and Coolsat 5000. Had to check and re-check skew, focal length, elevation, and azimuth. Even then, every time the wind would blow or a cloud would go by it would fade. Finally I added The Cup. It really does help (for several of us on C and Ku). It brought my quality reading to 69/70.

Even now, though, 11730H/4.342 sometimes gets hungry and decides to eat my RTN signal leaving me with a quality reading of 75 but no audio or video. Usually powering down and back on will reset the channel and RTN will pop back in.

I have had on/off issues with RTN up till recently. On the Fortec Star Dynamic Reciever, using 11736/4440 I am getting a consistent 32-39 Quality number. Though I would like it higher, as long as it stays at those levels, the picture is very acceptable to me. It has stayed pretty consistent the last week or so..

no thats a RTN quirk because the Pansat 1500 does it too

My Conaxsat CNX Mini here does it also!

RTN has my vote!! ;)

K E V I N
ftabman0_avitar-cordoba.gif

I have had on/off issues with RTN up till recently. On the Fortec Star Dynamic Receiver, using 11736/4440 I am getting a consistent 32-39 Quality number. Though I would like it higher, as long as it stays at those levels, the picture is very acceptable to me. It has stayed pretty consistent the last week or so..

The Level Meters on the Fortec Star STBs are low readers out of the gate anyway, I have seen that too with my Dynamic as well, was reading higher than it is now syndrome!

The Fix: Save your channel data and do a Factory Reset!

Should get you back to normal, remember to input your LNB and Long and Lat settings again!

Bottom line, Fortec Star has Spasm Metering and is mostly a reference for looks, lets you know you’re on the bird of choice but not the best in metering at all!

K E V I N
ftabman0_avitar-cordoba.gif

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts