RTN is back

Status
Please reply by conversation.
AMC9
H

listed on Lyngsat

You might have to play with the frequency a little bit. Folks have been able to lockit up at 11740

Actually, Lyngsat has them listed at

H

for what that's worth

For some reason i'm not able to lock on to TP 11735 or 11740 on AMC 9 the tp does not come up in the list after doing a blind scan , i am able to lock onto 11745 ,11775,11768,11784 , could it be my 31" dish just doesn't pull it in ? I'm using a Fortech Star Dynamic , quad polar lnb with the fortech 31" dish .

For some reason i'm not able to lock on to TP 11735 or 11740 on AMC 9 the tp does not come up in the list after doing a blind scan , i am able to lock onto 11745 ,11775,11768,11784 , could it be my 31" dish just doesn't pull it in ? I'm using a Fortech Star Dynamic , quad polar lnb with the fortech 31" dish .

Be sure the skew is correct. AMC9 seems critical for this. Being slightly off makes a big difference.

Personally, I like to have a small TV and receiver out at the dish when making critical tweaks. Fine tune the strong TPs and work your way to the weaker ones.

Yes i did Keith i started at 11730 and went up to 11740 and try changing the SR from 4440 to 4444 i'm wondering if i'm of the sat just a little , i'll try and set my motor to Diseqc instead of Usals i may be able to fine tune .It's just wierd i can lock onto other tp's from that sat .

I had similar luck with AMC9 at first. I could lock on to other transponders but not the one that carried RTN. If I entered the TP manually I could sometimes get a low signal quality 0-20. My problem was line of sight. I ended up using a fixed dish setup for AMC9 that has better line of sight then my motorized Primestar.

Basically I think having a quality signal on this tp is really important (it seems more picky than most), anything you can do to tweak your setup will be helpful. What kind of quality do you get on 12160 V 30000? I'm getting 55-60% and about 30-38% on the one that carries RTN. Not great scores, but it's the best I can get with all the trees in my neighbors' yard. I'm using a 76cm Winegard.

Yes i did Keith i started at 11730 and went up to 11740 and try changing the SR from 4440 to 4444 i'm wondering if i'm of the sat just a little , i'll try and set my motor to Diseqc instead of Usals i may be able to fine tune .It's just wierd i can lock onto other tp's from that sat .

Well just to get back and report , after setting my DG-380 motor to Diseqc i was able to tweek i few notches to the east and there it is , that sat sure is sensitive , but one thing i've learned is that i need to fine tune my dish just a tweek , thank you all for your input ;}

Well just to get back and report , after setting my DG-380 motor to Diseqc i was able to tweek i few notches to the east and there it is , that sat sure is sensitive , but one thing i've learned is that i need to fine tune my dish just a tweek , thank you all for your input ;}

Glad you got it without too much trouble. If RTN wasn't broadcasting such a weak signal (as I have said on another thread, I get some circular bleedover signals stronger than it) then that tweak you had to do probably wouldn't have been necessary!

RTN East is having the freezes tonite on my tv, anybody else seeing this? Getting 73 /99 signal/quality on my Icon rec, normally it has been great reception.
edit: This morning it seems to be working ok again, no freezing or stuttering audio. (Apr17 9am)

Last edited:
After originally getting my RTN tuned in great (see my other post http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/171550-one-duh-file.html ) I have been experiencing something a little strange.

I got RTN tuned to a quality of 70 on my Coolsat 5000 motorized system. It worked great for a couple days. Then the quality dropped down to 63. I changed the USALS satellite location from 83.0 to 82.7 and the quality came back. The next day the quality had gone back to 64. Again I re-adjusted USALS. This time to 83.1 and the quality came back. I haven't had a chance to check it today, but I will when I get home.

Has anyone else experienced this East/West shift? It doesn't seem to have any effect on any of the channels on other satellites. Just AMC 9.

On closer inspection I am getting the following East/West USALS measurements when fine tuned for maximum quality:

Day 1 - 3:00 pm -->83.0 W

Day 2 - 7:00 am --> 82.7 W
4:00 pm --> 83.1 W

Day 3 - 7:30 am --> 82.7 W
6:00 pm --> 83.2 W

This seems to be a regular pattern. When I researched this on the internet it said that East/West oscillation with a period of 1 day is caused by an eccentric orbit.

I haven't heard anyone else complaining of this, so I'm wondering if there is something on my end that could be causing this situation.

On closer inspection I am getting the following East/West USALS measurements when fine tuned for maximum quality:

Day 1 - 3:00 pm -->83.0 W

Day 2 - 7:00 am --> 82.7 W
4:00 pm --> 83.1 W

Day 3 - 7:30 am --> 82.7 W
6:00 pm --> 83.2 W

This seems to be a regular pattern. When I researched this on the internet it said that East/West oscillation with a period of 1 day is caused by an eccentric orbit.

I haven't heard anyone else complaining of this, so I'm wondering if there is something on my end that could be causing this situation.

No,the satellites in the same location it has always been. You either have some variation in the aiming of your dish or your experiencing interference from signals on adjacent satellites. The interfering signals may not be active all the time, which may explain why the sweet spot seems to move. If your getting interference from an adjacent satellite, the "sweet spot" may not actual be the spot where the satellite actually is, but instead may be slightly to the side of it farther away from the satellite the interfering signal is coming from.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it. Actually right now (9:00 am) the quality is at 72. I've never seen the quality on my receiver that high before on RTN.

LoTech-
I have experienced the same thing, depending on the Day / Time, sometimes have to "bump" East / West to peak signal. I'm pretty sure it is an alignment issue, all other Sats seem fine though. Maybe a small Declination adjustment is in order.

Lak7-

I thought that at first too, but my AMC 9 is my true south sat. My location is at 83W, and so is AMC 9. I have adjusted the altitude and skew to get peak signal, so shouldn't that exclude alignment as an issue?

LoTech

One thing you can do with USALS to adjust for a small azimuth error is tweak your longitude slightly. So as an example for Western NY, if you were at -78.6° you could try -78.7° and see if the receiver runs the motor just a little bit less West and picks up RTN. Then see if that adjustment significantly impacted quality on other satellites especially on the East/West ends of your arc. Adjust to -78.8 and check again, etc. I find when adjusting my USALS values it is good to run a few satellites away and then back to ensure it is hitting the satellite.

I think my USALS is adjusted about 0.5° further West right now and tracks the arc well from 61.5° to 148°. I would go adjust my motor azimuth, but the dish is tracking well and is about 22' up on the side of the house. It falls into the "ain't broke" category for now.

Actually due to limits on my motor (HH-100) USALS can't go East of 72°W but I can drive the motor over to 61.5 with DiSEqC. I can sometimes lock the SCETV mux on 63° as well.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts