RTV and TUFF

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Having same problem here in Dallas Tx, it's taking a few minuets to get a lock and then the signal is only around 36-38 w/no pix-elation, this is rite at the threshold w/VS Extreme & e85 Prime star dish. :confused:

I would like to call everyone's attention to one thing that I have observed. I am just curious if it is my memory playing tricks on me or if there is really something to this... Does it seem that there is a pattern here? In mid winter months, especially January, do we seem to be repeating this same discussion over and over again? Is it merely because we are all stuck inside and paying closer attention to the signal or is there actually something happening at this time of year that we are not entirely aware of?

RADAR

It was in early January 2009 that RTV first went on 83 after the fallout with Equity, and the signal was really low then and people had a hard time locking on to it (myself, it took until March before I could get a half decent sized dish pointed at it due to weather and the fact I had to do a major re-alignment of LNBs and dishes). Then there was "video 1" (if I recall the name correctly) that was very strong and not too far from the RTV frequency that caused havoc with people trying to lock it in (similar to now where it takes a while to lock on to the signal). Don't recall when that was.

Anyhow, to sum up, Equity and then RTV/TUFF seem to go through spells where either there was interference from adjacent satellites, or from close frequencies on the same satellite. Since they have been/were sort of the "flagship" of FTA, they get more attention whenever there are problems (and there have been quite a few, that I recall) in signal strength. So I don't think it is just in the winter (but the added snow either at the uplink or at our dishes does increase the possibility of problems than in the summer).

On the Fortec Dynamic, I am to the place now where I get the RTV Transponder at 20-30 percent signal, but it never holds long enough for me to scan the channels in...I've done all the adjusting I know how to do on the dish and motor..very frustrating..

I was a bit cold but this mourning i went into my sunroom where my ku dish setup is and looked for RTV there! i was able to get a very weak signal but no lock!so either both my dishes are alittle off or im in a spot where RTV goes bye bye this time of year.:confused:

Problem is on the up link side or the satellite it's self and not on most of the receive dishes, too many of us having this problem.

The color bar channel was also coming in good for me too when RTV and TUFF weren't working.

I actually just had little lines marked on the poll where my dish "swivels" so if I wanted to I could simply switch between 83W and 97W very quickly. I could just switch and forget about it, but that doesn't work for 83W anymore, I have to tune for the highest signal for RTV and TUFF to work now.

My personal theory is that it is a culmination of several problems:

1] The uplink signal may possibly be lower power than most, but not extremely poor - their budget may be small, but they ought to have fair equipment.
2] The weather conditions at the uplink site may be more variable and not as friendly as that for other uplink stations. Possibly just an inadvertent and unfortunate coincidence.
3] The rebroadcast power from the satellite may not be perfect either.
4] Interference from another source (some other TP or channel on 83.0°W or one on a neighbor sat) is substantially raising the noise floor. Thus, obscuring the RTV TP signal.
5] Our own dish, LNBF and receiver concerns. Spec's for each and alignment issues and specific settings parameters such as the TP frequency, symbol rate and FEC as well as LNB polarization.

It could be any one or a composite of several of these deficiencies. My own personal gut feeling leads me to believe that items #1, #2, #4 and #5 are the most viable candidates. Expressly item #4 since we know this to have been a problem in the past (recall the signal from LEO-1). I don't always agree with item #2 as the troubles do not always coincide with the weather conditions at the uplink station, so there must ALSO be other concerns.

Well, that is my personal judgement of the overall issue.

RADAR

I would like to thank everyone for all the input into this thread. I now have my RTV and TUFF back on again. I suspect like everyone else it was an uplink issue. All is well now in my satelite world. Thanks again.:)

My personal theory is that it is a culmination of several problems:

1] The uplink signal may possibly be lower power than most, but not extremely poor - their budget may be small, but they ought to have fair equipment.
2] The weather conditions at the uplink site may be more variable and not as friendly as that for other uplink stations. Possibly just an inadvertent and unfortunate coincidence.
3] The rebroadcast power from the satellite may not be perfect either.
4] Interference from another source (some other TP or channel on 83.0°W or one on a neighbor sat) is substantially raising the noise floor. Thus, obscuring the RTV TP signal.
5] Our own dish, LNBF and receiver concerns. Spec's for each and alignment issues and specific settings parameters such as the TP frequency, symbol rate and FEC as well as LNB polarization.

1. nah. Remember when they 1st started on 83W? Most of us had to tweak the heck out of a 36" dish to get a stable signal. Heck I had to use a 6 foot dish to btain a 60 quality on the Pansat..now I'm pushing 80 on a 30"
2. I think there was an issue at the uplink that was weather related
3. again see point 1
4. the only neighboring sat is 85W and there is a DVB-S2 feed in the frequency range but the opposite polarity. Next door the other way is 79W which is far enough away ;)
5. maybe but how many of us said that every other signal worked fine (and in some cases maxed the meter) yet its a coincidence that right after the "blizzard" (and being a northerner I use what they got for snow as just snow :) ) the signal goes in the tank.

I personally think it was an uplink issue. Water maybe in the cable which shorted out. The ground there probably doesnt freeze so when the snow melted it might have got in the cable.

But I guess unless someone from there comes on and lets us know all we can do is speculate ;)

Never lost them here.... on C band LOL. :)

LOL, Euro!

I did not lose the signal here, either. But, I could detect the drop in the signal quality while monitoring the Ku band RTV signal from 83.0°W.

I am using a 1.2 M GeoSatPro dish from SatelliteAV and it is really serving me nicely!

It doesn't increase my signal quality all that much over my 76 cm Winegard, but it holds the lock a lot better for me.

RADAR

1. nah. Remember when they 1st started on 83W? Most of us had to tweak the heck out of a 36" dish to get a stable signal. Heck I had to use a 6 foot dish to btain a 60 quality on the Pansat..now I'm pushing 80 on a 30"
2. I think there was an issue at the uplink that was weather related
3. again see point 1
4. the only neighboring sat is 85W and there is a DVB-S2 feed in the frequency range but the opposite polarity. Next door the other way is 79W which is far enough away ;)
5. maybe but how many of us said that every other signal worked fine (and in some cases maxed the meter) yet its a coincidence that right after the "blizzard" (and being a northerner I use what they got for snow as just snow :) ) the signal goes in the tank.

I personally think it was an uplink issue. Water maybe in the cable which shorted out. The ground there probably doesnt freeze so when the snow melted it might have got in the cable.

But I guess unless someone from there comes on and lets us know all we can do is speculate ;)

Ice,

I understand that and I agree, but I am still staunch that it is more than just ONE problem alone. Obviously just my own theory and gut feeling.
I would like to be correct on every assumption, but I don't have any method to prove it so. Therefore, I am just spreading my bets across the table! LOL!

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts