Rugby World Cup - how to get a PPV package added?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rugbyqueen

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 25, 2007
Houston, TX
As you can tell from my screen name, I'm a rugby fan. I switched to DirecTV this week for the purpose of watching the Rugby World Cup, which starts next week. I was told when I signed up that DirecTV would offer the entire tournament as a PPV package deal.

Now that my system is set up, I find that they don't seem to be offering it in that manner. They have a patchwork offering of a small number of matches available on Universal Sports (Channel 625), a few on NBC and the rest on PPV on a price-per-match basis, which is prohibitively expensive. The entire tournament doesn't seem to be available as a package.

I'm extremely unhappy about this, most especially because I asked specifically about it and was told it would be available this way. The package deal is the way it was offered four years ago. I have emailed DirecTV via the online firm to request it be added, but I wondered if anyone has any other suggestions for how to get DirecTV to offer the entire Rugby World Cup (all matches) in a package deal?

Universal Sports is offering a package deal to watch the matches online. However, they're only available for a short time and watching things online is still inferior to watching them on TV due to bandwidth issues (imho). I'd be happy to pay DirecTV for a package deal, but don't know how to get them to offer it. If anyone has any suggestions on how to nudge them in that direction or who I should try to talk do, I'd appreciate it.

My suggestion would be to email the Office of the President, since the customer service reps don't seem to have any consistent answers. Let him know not only of your installation issues, but that you also subscribed specifically for this package and that it does not seem to be available at all. I've done some searching and can not find anything specific about Directv's offering of the RWC package (did you post as Rugbyfan on the Directv website?). Its michael (DOT) white (AT) directv (DOT) com. From what I've heard, these type of emails get serious attention, and you have a legitimate gripe to air.

Thank you. Yes, that was me posting as rugbyfan. I found that thread on google. It seems like there are plenty of people out there who are just as frustrated, upset and disappointed as I am. I will email the President tomorrow. Thank you for giving me the email address. I hope they can figure out a way to offer a package deal. They have all the matches. Doesn't seem like it would be too hard to offer them bundled

My suggestion would be to email the Office of the President, since the customer service reps don't seem to have any consistent answers. Let him know not only of your installation issues, but that you also subscribed specifically for this package and that it does not seem to be available at all. I've done some searching and can not find anything specific about Directv's offering of the RWC package (did you post as Rugbyfan on the Directv website?). Its michael (DOT) white (AT) directv (DOT) com. From what I've heard, these type of emails get serious attention, and you have a legitimate gripe to air.
I just sent an email to that address - using the proper "." and "@" of course - and it came back as undeliverable. Does anyone have a more current email address?

The PPV channes are set up right now. Ch.492-497. However,if those prices listed are prices per game........$24.95,$34.95 HD. That seems pretty steep to me when you add it all up trying to follow as many games as possible.

The PPV channes are set up right now. Ch.492-497. However,if those prices listed are prices per game........$24.95,$34.95 HD. That seems pretty steep to me when you add it all up trying to follow as many games as possible.
Yes, it's terribly expensive. There are 40 pool games before the teams get into the quarterfinals. Do the math. It's ridiculously expensive. Four years ago with Dish we had the entire Rugby World Cup - all games - for $199. I'm truly shocked they aren't offering a package to watch all the games. Especially since that's what the CSR told me they were doing.

JerseyMatt, thanks for the updated address. I actually spent a lot of time today working this problem on the phone, including talking to three higher-up D* employees. Everyone is unfailingly nice, but I'm not sure it's going to be settled before the start of the Rugby World Cup. To say I'm disappointed and somewhat angry and feel very misled is an understatement.

Now I understand why Directv allowed subscribers to their sports package to watch selected Super 15 matches as well as Tri Nations matches in HD commercial free. It was to get us primed for these ridiculously overpriced RWC games. I too would have been happy to pay a couple of hundred bucks for the entire RWC lineup but absolutely will not pay $25-$35 PPV prices.

RWC 2011 Package

I sent an e-mail to the President (?) of Directv, Mike White on "mike.white@directv.com"

I got the below answer:

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
RE: RWC package deal.

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response Via Email(DIRECTV) - 09/04/2011 08:48 AM
Dear Mr. Frank,

Thank you for your recent correspondence. After reviewing your email, we forwarded your suggestion of providing an inclusive Rugby sports subscription to DIRECTV Management for review. While DIRECTV Management can not follow up individually with every customer, rest assured every suggestion and comment is reviewed. We often make changes based on customer feedback like yours.

Please note, in addition to our Rugby Pay Per View Events, the Six Nations games are available on BBC America (channel 264), which requires the Choice package or above. The Super Rugby and Tri Nations games, on Channels 490, are free and available to all DIRECTV customers. Please visit DIRECTV.com/rugby for a programming schedule for these channels.

At DIRECTV we strive to provide the finest in satellite television entertainment and outstanding customer service. For further assistance, please contact us at 1-866-785-5537 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-866-785-5537 end_of_the_skype_highlighting. Our office hours are Monday through Friday, 7:30 AM until 7:30 PM MT, and Saturday and Sunday from 7:30 AM until 6:00 PM MT.

Sincerely,

Shauna
DIRECTV Customer Advocate Team----------------------------------------------------------------------

A standard reply, but maybe if they get a lot of e-mails requesting the same thing they will change the offering.
I suggest that as many as possible send an e-mail to Mike White asking for them to offer a package deal for the RWC. Maybe then they will add a package deal.

Here's another question. Why aren't any of the games on Versus? NBC/Comcast could easily cover half the tournament on those two channels alone. I thought RWC on Versus would be a given.

Looks like Directv PPV prices have dropped to $14.95 per game in HD and $12.95 SD. Still too high if you want to watch all 38 PPV games at $568 HD but that's better than $35 per match.

I'm buying an Overplay.net VPN subscription for $9.95 per month to access the ITV streams in the U.K.

Looks like Directv PPV prices have dropped to $14.95 per game in HD and $12.95 SD. Still too high if you want to watch all 38 PPV games at $568 HD but that's better than $35 per match.
Yeah, we saw that! At least we'll be able to afford to watch a few more matches. Still not a reasonable price for all matches, but way better than it was.

Of course in the long term, the downside to anyone purchasing the PPVs at the reduced-but-still-too-damn-high prices is that it doesn't put the pressure on the content provider to come up with another way. Like a season pass or some such.

Hopefully not enough will pay the PPV rates and we can hope to see a season pass system for rugby as there is for many other sports.

Maybe the answer for those rugby fans out there, is Canadian Satellite TV. Check out TSN & TSN2 for their Rugby world cup coverage. Lots of games and in HD to boot. When it comes to sports coverage, Olympics,World Cup Soccer, and now Rugby World cup, it's pretty hard to beat Canadian TV.

Maybe the answer for those rugby fans out there, is Canadian Satellite TV. Check out TSN & TSN2 for their Rugby world cup coverage. Lots of games and in HD to boot. When it comes to sports coverage, Olympics,World Cup Soccer, and now Rugby World cup, it's pretty hard to beat Canadian TV.

Certainly a viable option for those in the states.. :rolleyes:

The only way to get TSN in the states is if you have Center Ice and a Canadian team is playing. Otherwise nothing on there has US broadcast rights.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.