Rumor Alert - Internationals Leaving DIRECTV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Nothing wrong with rumors either.

We go through this every time. Many would rather wait till the comet landed on their head, others would rather know it MIGHT hit their house a head of time.

Put me in the latter.

But its not news. Its a rumor.
And was reported as such.

But I guess because of the big deal Stone Cold is making that its true... as I said before sometimes the truth hurts.

I don't make stuff up, I just report what I hear. And trust me the walls have good ears. ;)

Since Stone Cold wants to open a can or worms here let me go on more about this issue that I didn't post.

The rumor of certain international channels going away on DIRECTV was not only told to me by a few good contacts but a few good retailers as well.

The word I am getting is that the retailers are upset (rightfully so) that DIRECTV wants them to continue selling these international packages to new customers up until March 30th.

The retailers do not want to sell these channel, since most of these customers will cancel their service when these channels leave meaning that the retailers will get a huge chargeback. This not only makes DirecTV look bad but also the hard working retailers who bust their butts to sell and install DIRECTV service.

The only thing selling channels which are going away does is gets customers mad and causes a huge financial burden to retailers who just want to sell DirecTV.

I got a ton of stuff like this that's going on behind the scenes, and maybe (thanks to Stonecold) its time to start talking about it publicly, not only here but in MultiChannel.

Perhaps its time to start opening some folks eyes about whats going on at DIRECTV.

Thanks Stone Cold for opening up a can of worms that you can't close. I am sure DirecTV thanks YOU.
I also think he was kinda upset that when dish does anything like this. It is posted in the pub member area only.. It would seem fair to air dish network's dirty doings in the public forums too.

Since Stone Cold wants to open a can or worms here let me go on more about this issue that I didn't post.

The rumor of certain international channels going away on DIRECTV was not only told to me by a few good contacts but a few good retailers as well.

The word I am getting is that the retailers are upset (rightfully so) that DIRECTV wants them to continue selling these international packages to new customers up until March 30th.

The retailers do not want to sell these channel, since most of these customers will cancel their service when these channels leave meaning that the retailers will get a huge chargeback. This not only makes DirecTV look bad but also the hard working retailers who bust their butts to sell and install DIRECTV service.

The only thing selling channels which are going away does is gets customers mad and causes a huge financial burden to retailers who just want to sell DirecTV.

I got a ton of stuff like this that's going on behind the scenes, and maybe (thanks to Stonecold) its time to start talking about it publicly, not only here but in MultiChannel.

Perhaps its time to start opening some folks eyes about whats going on at DIRECTV.

Thanks Stone Cold for opening up a can of worms that you can't close. I am sure DirecTV thanks YOU.

really are a childish little bastard aren't you. someone won't let me play in their sandbox the way I want to so I will use every opportunity to cause trouble for them and their employees.
that ought to be your signature.

If anyone is at fault is Directv not telling its ILG division what is going on and that they have to find out via this site.

I am upset not for my job as I am now where responsable for that department . But I do have friends ones who now read this site and not everyone knows but there are people that Directv probably should of told first before it got leaked out side the company and to retailers.

Nothing wrong with rumors either.

We go through this every time. Many would rather wait till the comet landed on their head, others would rather know it MIGHT hit their house a head of time.

Put me in the latter.
Its hardly a comet. Its a rumor about a some international channels

We should not go out of our way to connect perceptions of customer service or company's place in the market (or our living rooms) with their treatment of their employees. Surely a company who treats its employees poorly is not ideal and should probably be one of many points of consideration in evaluating one's choice of services. See more at "at will" employment.

The irony is that international programming often fetches a pretty high premium from its subscribers. Then again -- even at the premium price -- more than a few of these packages may not generate revenues commensurate with their CONUS bandwidth cost when compared with other uses (ie RSNs or PPV).

I'm guessing that DIRECTV discovered that they'd executed an "epic fail" with the move towards the SWiMline3 and they've decided to apply ROI criteria on some of the less profitable offerings as a means to get the most bang for their bandwidth.

Anybody starting to miss Rupert and Chase?

Chase now heads up News corp state in Hulu , wants to monitize it Chase is not the great person people make him out to be.

And he still sports one hell of stache I dont care if he does not like people mentioning it.

Chase, you sir have one great looking stache and you should be proud of it.

really are a childish little bastard aren't you. someone won't let me play in their sandbox the way I want to so I will use every opportunity to cause trouble for them and their employees.
that ought to be your signature.
No this website is a website run by CONSUMERS for CONSUMERS.

We report what we hear, the good and bad so our members can better decide how to spend their entertainment dollars.

As I said before I don't make this stuff up, I just report what I hear.

(Damn now I sound like Fox News... I report you decide) :D

Just one thing to remember, Scott didn't say that they will eliminate all internationals, just that some may be going away.

It makes perfect sense, if the Polish package sells terrible, than they may eliminate the Polish package - it may not be paying for itself.

To say that all international go away would be a major business decision to eliminate an entire operation, that isn't what Scott said.

Obviously it could be more than a couple packages, they sell several languages. I wouldn't be suprised if the did a housekeeping on non-profitable pacakges. As for employes, they have individuals that specialize in certain languages / packages, so there could be some jobs eliminated. I'm sure that is a factor that Stonecold is speaking to, thus the worry that is created.

It's important for us to report what we hear, that is what the site is all about. I know that as a customer, if I signed up for a package that was eliminated a few months later I would be pissed. If I were a retailer selling it, I'd be pissed too, given I'd lose my commission. If I worked for D* on that programming package, I'd be pissed too. It is a no-win situation, but it is important to communicate it.

If they're smart they'll leave the Asian and Chinese stations. Every place of business I go to that has Chinese owners has a D* dish up. I'm not really sure why it's still so popular though. For $20 a month you only get 7 channels, while if you get KyLinTV you get 26 channels for $16.99, with more channels and features available at higher prices. Granted you need an internet connection and the company probably won't get on the BBB anytime soon, but that seems like a better solution to me..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts