**Rumor:** Dish Network and Voom combined?

VewDew

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 4, 2004
Northern California
I know there is a rumor going around but a co-worker came in this morning and told me he just signed up for Dish Network. He said the CSR told him that they will be adding more HD content and that Dish purchased Voom and will be announced when it's finalized.

This is what the CSR said and we all know how reliable they are so don't shoot the messenger, it's just what I have been told.

It's interesting speculation, but it's just that at present. Perhaps this is why the spin-off is taking so long. Maybe it's not an outright sale as much as it is a limited partnership...a little tit for tat: E* buys Rainbow's bonds, V* becomes E*'s HD provider, V* retains its autonomy and V* outsources its Customer and Installation Services. Who knows what VOOM has been doing these past 2 months???

If it means we'll get hdnet, food network, hgtv, and FSN (even if only in SD), BRING IT ON!

As much as I wish it was true,never listen for info from a CSR,be it Dish,Voom or DirecTV,we will always know more then they do because of this site and others.

I'll tell ya--being a DISH/VOOM/Comcast subscriber, I would certainly feel very lucky if the 2 sat providers I have chosen team up for the better!! Did I read somewhere that DISH/VOOM customers get a 921 for $99??

I'd be perfectly happy if that meant we all got grandfathered into Dish Network.

May be wishful thinking but it does make sense. Gives combination company 2 satellites at 61.5. Rainbow gets the partner it needs. Dish gets HD satellite capacity and programming to combat D*s announced plans.

For the consumer its a win-win :)

Pardon my ignorance, but doesn't Dish offer "local OTA channels" via satellite? We cannot get OTA here - one problem with Voom. It would be great to get local channels via satellite.

Boy, imaginations sure are stirring, based on a third-hand comment by one CSR! :shocked

I could see it happening, and I do know that Charlie has been to VOOM's HQ a number of times, as were other Echostar officials.

However with that said we have no idea why they were meeting or what if anything came out of the talks.

So for now this is just a rumor, I am very sure when something happens we will hear about it and we will probably be one of the first places you will read about it.

Personally I would like to see it happen, and if it did happen it could keep me as a Dish Network customer. (I currently have Dish and VOOM, but I have been thinking of getting rid of Dish getting DirecTV and keeping VOOM)

In a dream world we would all be Dish Customers with VOOM content and a VOOM Networked DVR. Who do I need to call to make this happen.....anyone?

Sorry for the newb question, but would you still need two dishes, though, to get both V* and E* content? Can the new superdish really cover 40+ degrees of arc (61.5 to 100+)? I'd give up on the HD Tivo for this, and suck it up and get the 921 if this were true...

Later,
Bill

I really think this will happen...its just a matter of time. This is a win win situation for both sides. Dish needs to compete with Directv and having VOOMs sat at 61.5 is a no brainer. With that being said ...I dont know if I would jump to Dish. Im a Directv sub right now and Im happy with Directv. Seems to me that subbing to Directv and Dish would be overkill. The reason I sub to VOOM right now is because they have exclusives in HD like MonstersHD and Rave. I watch reg ch's on Directv.. I dont know what i would do.

Well it definitely would explain the quietness surrounding VOOM in general right now. It would accomplish so much for Dish. It really makes complete sense. I really hope VOOM gets their DVR out and it's somehow compatible though. I'd hate to lose that.

More speculation...

One possibility is that Rainbow Media keeps the VOOM exclusive channels (or a subset) and sell the DBS assets (and us :D) to E*. Perhaps those channels remain exclusive to E* for 1-year and then beccome available to other providers.

I just want SOMETHING, ANYTHING to happen so we can move forward. Right now, I feel like we're stuck in limbo not knowing when/if we'll have ________.

Given that V* is theoretically worthless right now as a company, I doubt that Charlie would take the pass on the content. Content is king right now, and Charlie needs some that he alone owns (ST is a big part of the franchise for D*...).

BTW, a 921 is $999, not $99...

Walter L. said:
One possibility is that Rainbow Media keeps the VOOM exclusive channels (or a subset) and sell the DBS assets (and us :D) to E*. Perhaps those channels remain exclusive to E* for 1-year and then beccome available to other providers.
That sounds very possible.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts