Rumor: Don't be looking for an iphone on Verizon anytime soon

Having Sprint get the phone makes no since. The complaint people have against the Iphone is the network it is attached too. Sprint (even with its Nextel purchase) is just like AT&T. Yes they may have 3g+ (what they falsely call 4g) but when only 10% on there network

As much as it hurts me to say it, Verizon is our strongest Wireless provider.

I had to go to the Verizon store where I do business and learned something about this from the store manager. He said the CDMA iphone version is scheduled to begin production in September and they will be getting classes on the iphone in December. I told him I wasn't looking forward to the iphone on Verizon and he said many are worried about that. Asked - What about an LTE version and he said didn't know about that but guesses that next summer the iphone will be supporting LTE but as far as he was told, not on the first release.

Why I was there was because my wife got her new BB storm2 from the employer and now she has to switch to that LG env3 I picked up for free last winter as a personal phone. Strange, I was not permitted to make the phone number switch on line but that store manager said he would make it worth my while coming in. He transferred and converted all my wife's contacts and calender info from the BB to the LG and then gave me a $50 rebate ticket which I didn't qualify for last winter. I demonstrated the sling player on my TP2 for him and he was going to go out and buy one for his Dish sat at his home. He was unaware of that and thought it would be another great selling point for their phones. I told him I was pretty sure Sling just released it for the Android so he needs to check that out too. As stated in this thread, Verizon is hitting the Droid Incredibles with lots of ads this summer.

Well some of the landlines will be spun off to frontier July 1 with more to come;)

I've been buying Verizon and just this year Frontier as well for my Roth IRA. So far all those rumors haven't seemed to affect either stock. I'm mostly interested in those stocks for dividend reinvestment anyway but I am keeping an eye on any announcements that will affect the unit price.

I've been buying Verizon and just this year Frontier as well for my Roth IRA. So far all those rumors haven't seemed to affect either stock. I'm mostly interested in those stocks for dividend reinvestment anyway but I am keeping an eye on any announcements that will affect the unit price.
They just "bribed" 12,000 union folk to leave..I would say we should see some action soon

They just "bribed" 12,000 union folk to leave..I would say we should see some action soon

?????

Is this what you are talking about?

IBEW Strongly Supports Frontier Communications' Broadband Expansion and Job Creation in Rural America
12:03p ET June 4, 2010 (Business Wire)

The President of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, AFL-CIO (IBEW), Edwin D. Hill, today announced, "The IBEW strongly supports Frontier's commitment to expanding broadband and improving the quality of service in the territories it will acquire from Verizon. We appreciate the company's recognition that residential and business customers in rural America are eager for access to the changing technologies of the 21st century." He added, "Frontier understands that broadband availability is crucial for job creation and for maintaining a growing economy. The members and leadership of the IBEW are committed to partnering with Frontier's leaders to provide first-rate service, exemplary customer care and technical expertise."

Maggie Wilderotter, Chairman and CEO of Frontier Communications, remarked, "It is very gratifying that the IBEW will work closely with the company towards a goal that is in the best interests of customers, employees and the communities we serve. The IBEW is a partner in the new Frontier and like us, committed to providing all consumers with the broadband, video and phone services they need. We look forward to continuing our long relationship."

The transaction is scheduled to close July 1, 2010.

Looks to me like IBEW is getting in bed with management.???? Now there's a switch.

Having Sprint get the phone makes no since. The complaint people have against the Iphone is the network it is attached too. Sprint (even with its Nextel purchase) is just like AT&T. Yes they may have 3g+ (what they falsely call 4g) but when only 10% on there network....

Got to agree with you here. Sprint has a small network, lots of interoperability agreements. Nextel is negligible. IF Sprint gets the iPhone, I think they'll have a lot of unhappy customers.

I've read that the ITU considers what Sprint calls "4G" as just a variant of 3G, but has no enforcement authority over this.

Got to agree with you here. Sprint has a small network, lots of interoperability agreements. Nextel is negligible. IF Sprint gets the iPhone, I think they'll have a lot of unhappy customers.

I've read that the ITU considers what Sprint calls "4G" as just a variant of 3G, but has no enforcement authority over this.

In any event it is yet another "flavor" of wireless to support. At least with Verizon there would be the eventual migration to LTE.

Both AT&T and verizon have about equal share in the LTE channel spectrum. T-mobile has the smaller allocation as per the auction. However, At&T is about a year behind in execution of the spectrum. Likely, when Apple introduces the next version of the iPhone, AT&T will be launching their channels in first markets. Verizon's will be well under way, probably with android phones first on the LTE scene.

Both AT&T and verizon have about equal share in the LTE channel spectrum. T-mobile has the smaller allocation as per the auction. However, At&T is about a year behind in execution of the spectrum. Likely, when Apple introduces the next version of the iPhone, AT&T will be launching their channels in first markets. Verizon's will be well under way, probably with android phones first on the LTE scene.

While AT&T is putting off LTE, they have been busy running fiber. They are getting fiber out to all their towers. This will let them install LTE really quickly. I just wish they would get service out to more rural areas. 3G cuts out the moment you drive out of town.

I have an iPhone and I love it. That said, I don't think Verizon should even pursue it again. Android is really on a roll and you know Google isn't going to stop. They really don't *need* the iPhone.

Android would be better to me as a platform if they slow down on the updates a little. I am thinking they will do this after froyo.

The only benefit to Verizon getting the iPhone would be that some AT&T folks would jump ship and my network performance would improve. I do, however, have a robust 850 Mhz 3G signal in my market and I get 2 Meg down on a bad day, so I really have no need to switch.

I believe they said after Gingerbread (this fall) it will turn into a more annual-ish overall OS update cycle, and the core components are being decentralized (starting with Froyo) to be able to be updated over the market, rather than having to package an OS update and wait for each cell provider to distribute.

Yes, OS development needs to slow down a bit, but the speed improvements in Froyo are so spectacular over Eclair, that I'll take new udpates as they come with out complaint. :)

And I am looking forward to them using the marketplace as the way to push new stuff rather than OTA-updates.

In the last several days i have read that Verizon will have the phone in the third quarter of this year, the first quarter of 2011, sometime in 2012, or various other dates based on some LTE rollout milestone.

I have also read about current and pending deals for CDMA iphone production , about testing of such a device on the Verizon network and reports that DoD is at various of ordering some quantity of CDMA equipped iPhones,

I personally think that these rumors are made up on the fly to stimulate traffic to websites. My gut feel is that it will happen but I just don't trust anything I read.

Geronimo said:
In the last several days i have read that Verizon will have the phone in the third quarter of this year, the first quarter of 2011, sometime in 2012, or various other dates based on some LTE rollout milestone.

I have also read about current and pending deals for CDMA iphone production , about testing of such a device on the Verizon network and reports that DoD is at various of ordering some quantity of CDMA equipped iPhones,

I personally think that these rumors are made up on the fly to stimulate traffic to websites. My gut feel is that it will happen but I just don't trust anything I read.

I was first to report the latest schedule here but that was just some insider info from a verizon manager. I repeat, the production schedule for iPhone CDMA is to commence in September, not the sales of the iphone, the actual sales in January and LTE version on all carriers next June. I agree with you that rumors on the web have been mostly one site repeating what another website reported thus to just drive web traffic.

Would be cool if Apple changes the production to include the LTE radios in the first release for January.

I personally think that these rumors are made up on the fly...
... or strategically planted.
The mother of all rumours, Wall Street Journal, claimed the iPad will be around $900 when introduced.
And this (mis)information was fed to them not by accident...

Diogen.