RUMOR - FOX HD on Dish for SuperBowl? No Way.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Hey guys. sorry I have been quiet the past few days as my wife has been sick in the Hospital.

This morning was the first time I have checked my email in days and I got a few noted from Contacts at Dish Network and it appears that Dish Network will be carrying the Super Bowl in HD, however it will only be made available to Fox owned and operated markets.

No word if FOX-HD will remain on Dish after the SuperBowl.

Please consider this a rumor until it is confirmed.

Here are a list of Fox O&O Stations:

Current Owned & Operated Stations
New York
Los Angeles
Chicago
Philadelphia
Boston
Dallas
Washington, DC
Atlanta*
Detroit*
Houston
Tampa
Minneapolis
Cleveland
Phoenix
Denver
Orlando
St. Louis
Baltimore
Milwaukee
Kansas City
Salt Lake City
Birmingham
Memphis
Greensboro
Austin
Gainesville

This would be very good news, indeed! We had resigned ourselves to watching the Superbowl in glorious analog here in (1.1 kW WDAF Hell) Kansas City.

Brad

Probably too soon to speculate but........ Is it possible that Dish customers in an area not owned & operated but have had the Fox distant out of NY for a long time, will I qualify.

I wonder if the rules for this deal will be laid down by Fox or if Dish will have some say in the matter. The deal with the special Olympic HD feed last Summer was a fiasco and even drew media attention because so many people that had absolutly no digital OTA options were not allowed the feed while many that had OTA and cable options for HD also got the satellite feed.

That deal however was cooked up by Sony & NBC, so I couldn't blame Dish other than to fault them for not insisting their white area viewers also get the feed.

WaltinVt

Scott,

I assume this would be a special event type broadcast, overtaking the HD PPV spot? If if if if FOX HD lives on, would it stay on 110 or make its way to 61.5 / 148? Or finally an HD channel added on to 110 TP19 instead of the every once in a while interactive app?

C,MON E*!!!!!

This New York City O & O Locals subscriber is begging for it......

After watching it on CBS HD last year, anything else will be a letdown.......

Will be a fiasco- period!

If this happens it will turn out to be the same fiasco as the Olympics :mad: . The people who have NO OTA or even reception from local Fox stations will be left out in the cold as usual! The people who already get Fox HD OTA will have a choice of either. Just another suck deal for RURAL peons.... Gerry

ggw2000 said:
If this happens it will turn out to be the same fiasco as the Olympics :mad: . The people who have NO OTA or even reception from local Fox stations will be left out in the cold as usual! The people who already get Fox HD OTA will have a choice of either. Just another suck deal for RURAL peons.... Gerry
I feel ya brother.

Superbowl in HD would be nice, but more importantly, hope the PrizeGoddess is OK.

I am confused....i have an 811 but with no HD Pak anymore (Cancelled it a few weeks back). Does this mean i would still get it as i get Wash DC locals??

I'm guessing it will be added to the HDEVT channel with certain zip codes allowed to see it and others which will be blacked out.

I'm sorry about the folks in the non O & O areas. Short of you blitzing your congressman and the FCC with letters to get the rules changed, there isn't too much E* can do however.......

Well, if they can add it for the Super Bowl, why can't we get it all the time??(Fox and NBC are O&O here in Wash DC)

The funny thing is that most/all FOX O&O markets are already HD capable. So this may only be useful to a few people. I wonder if this will include all of the pre-game shows. I saw during the playoffs, that FOX's SuperBowl coverage begins (not kidding here) at 10am.

Cyclone said:
The funny thing is that most/all FOX O&O markets are already HD capable. So this may only be useful to a few people. I wonder if this will include all of the pre-game shows. I saw during the playoffs, that FOX's SuperBowl coverage begins (not kidding here) at 10am.
I believe I saw that the pregame was also in HD. Whew, 8 Hours of HD then a football game in HD. Well, no sense in getting excited I wont see it in HD.
:no

BobMurdoch said:
I'm guessing it will be added to the HDEVT channel with certain zip codes allowed to see it and others which will be blacked out.

I'm sorry about the folks in the non O & O areas. Short of you blitzing your congressman and the FCC with letters to get the rules changed, there isn't too much E* can do however.......
I suggest every Dish HD customer living in a non O&O area make a LOT of noise right now. They did this to us last summer for the special NBC HD Olympics feed and they could do it again for the SB. Talk about rubbing salt in the wounds.

I already emailed my senator this morning. In fact I had emailed him a while ago about this whole business of Vermont rural area satellite customers actually getting hurt by this new legislation and he had a staffer actually call me to get more information, so they seem to be interrested in this. The intent WAS to help people that COULD NOT get digital signals from their locals - not the other way around. The sh*t may hit the fan on this but it may be too late for the SB unless voters make a lot of noise.

WaltinVt

Ransack said:
Well, if they can add it for the Super Bowl, why can't we get it all the time??(Fox and NBC are O&O here in Wash DC)

All depends how they add it. If they run it on HDEV1, it means they turn off the HD PPV, so they loose the revenue of the 10 people that order HD PPV programs each week. If they do it like CBS-HD, then they would put it on the 61.5 / 148 wing satallites. 110 doesn't really have the space until they turn off any usage of the interactive app, and I'm guessing with Directv launching their own app that this thing will live on.

So does this mean if I had the NBC O's in HD that I will be able to get the Sbowl on FOX in HD if dish seals the deal???

UNLESS he is in one of the big markets that are O & O with all of the big broadcast networks....... I'm considered part of the New York City DMA so all of the big 4 are O & Os..... The same may be true with Yukon, but is less likely once you get out of the top 12 markets

Well I got the Macon, Ga Locals now. Used to have the Atlanta Locals, but I moved... I could move back though.. if you know what I mean... :yes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)