(Rumor) Verizon CableCard and other news):

LonghornXP

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
I've talked with a few people I know about CableCard among other things and this is what I've found out so far. Take this as a rumor until otherwise noted. I have been told that CableCard 2.0 will be fully supported by years end or early 2007 depending on various factors. But the cool stuff I've heard will be outlined below.

First all of this would require a new ONT that has the NIM built into it instead of needing the extra box and the reason for this is that for the MOCA to work it needs an ethernet connection to one of the boxes. With the NIM built into the ONT no box would require an ethernet connection to work with MOCA. The reason for this will be quite clear later on in this post.

So once CableCard 2.0 support is added if you have an HDTV set that supports CableCard 2.0 Verizon will provide a card for no or very low cost like a buck. This would allow you access to all SD and HDTV channels including full PPV and VOD services. Now this is the cool part. Because they have tons of bandwidth with the fiber they will be offering for an extra costs (per account cost) NDVR service. NDVR means networkable Digital Video Recorders. In simple terms you can view the guide and schedule any recording and it will be recorded on Verizon servers and you can play it back like any VOD show and you won't have unlimited recording space but it will be enough from what I hear to record over 100 hours of HDTV content or almost 400 hours of SD content. Now this is the cool stuff. This system would allow you to record six live shows at anytime and play them back on any TV you want including all digital boxes and on your CableCard 2.0 TV set without a box. They will still offer a DVR box as they do today but this will be an option for customers that would provide more homewide storage space along with trust that all recordings will be backed up and not lost. The only drawback is if service goes down you can't playback a show but what can I say.

So what we are looking at in the future is a three room house that has three HDTV sets that all have CableCard 2.0 support. With this they can pay 3.00/month total or less for three cablecards and say 7.00/month for example for NDVR service. This would allow all three TVs to use the same program guide, get all TV services including PPV and VOD. Allow all TVs to playback recordings of both SD and HD content and also allows six live shows to be recorded at the sametime. It also provides content backup as well so you will never lose the content until you delete it. Also this isn't VOD as you can schedule any recording you want on any channel at anytime by using your TVs remote control. When you go into the guide using your TV sets remote when you select a show that comes on later you will get a list which you can select using your Enter/Select button to record this show. Your Now Playing List would be a special channel that you would browse like a VOD channel but it will only be your recordings and it can be viewed in all rooms.

Very cool stuff and the only drawback is that anything recorded cannot be played back until the recording is done as its not being recording using one of your tuners because its being recorded at Verizon. You in simple terms are telling Verizon to record this show and they just VOD the show to your TV sets at request. You can pause, rewind and fast forward at anytime during the show as well even past commercials but they won't exactly advertise that but you can do this if you want.

I hope this gives you something to look forward too and as of now I have no ETA on when this will be made available but I do know this will be more of an early 2007 project for CableCard 2.0 but the NDVR could be offered much earlier but it will only work with a digital box. The goal in the future is to have all of this stuff working without the need for a box at all.

very cool stuff. to bad i will not be in the market for a new tv for my living room for at least five years as i just got one last year.

now for the bedroom and the two kids room, if prices come down way down (300 - 500) for a decent 23 - 30 inch hdtv widescreen flat panel with cable card 2.0 support, that would work out real well. could have a dvr box in the living room and have three cable cards in the other rooms with the NDVR service.

i am still hoping for march for fios tv. i am checking a few times a day to see if they start early.

longhorn, i am about 95 percent positive i am going to be one of the first area's served. if i send you my address, could you confirm?

korsjs said:
very cool stuff. to bad i will not be in the market for a new tv for my living room for at least five years as i just got one last year.

now for the bedroom and the two kids room, if prices come down way down (300 - 500) for a decent 23 - 30 inch hdtv widescreen flat panel with cable card 2.0 support, that would work out real well. could have a dvr box in the living room and have three cable cards in the other rooms with the NDVR service.

i am still hoping for march for fios tv. i am checking a few times a day to see if they start early.

longhorn, i am about 95 percent positive i am going to be one of the first area's served. if i send you my address, could you confirm?

Don't bother sending me your address because until your put into the database you can't order and they must put you in that database. I suggest waiting until March 1st and call in and it should be ready and available for you. I'm assuming that your in the area that has franchise approval and are just waiting for the lights on date right.

I'm also going to wait until an HDTV LCD set fully supports CableCard 2.0 and I'll be buying three new HDTV LCD sets with built-in CableCard 2.0 slots and I'll also be buying three Series 3 HD Tivo boxes along with the network DVR service. What the heck I'm going all out later on.

Last edited:
LonghornXP said:
Don't bother sending me your address because until your put into the database you can't order and they must put you in that database. I suggest waiting until March 1st and call in and it should be ready and available for you. I'm assuming that your in the area that has franchise approval and are just waiting for the lights on date right.

I'm also going to wait until an HDTV LCD set fully supports CableCard 2.0 and I'll be buying three new HDTV LCD sets with built-in CableCard 2.0 slots and I'll also be buying three Series 3 HD Tivo boxes along with the network DVR service. What the heck I'm going all out later on.

yes, hillsborough county. we were the second or thrid area to have fios internet. my area is right in the middle of carrollwood and citrus park. i am keeping my fingers crossed.

LonghornXP said:

i could not really wait any longer for a big tv, my old 52 inch letterbox hdtv was three years old and started having problems. spent 3 grand on the new one and want that to last at least 5 years.

korsjs said:
i could not really wait any longer for a big tv, my old 52 inch letterbox hdtv was three years old and started having problems. spent 3 grand on the new one and want that to last at least 5 years.

If you get an HD Tivo you won't need your HDTV set to support CableCard 2.0 as your HD Tivo will support this and output everything via another connection such as an HDMI or component connection. Also keep in mind that I'm sick of carrying around big tube TV sets which is why I'm going to be buying three new HDTV LCD sets in about a year as I'll again have money to blow. Well I still have money to blow but I would rather keep my current HDTV sets for at least three years.

i don't have a wall to hand a tv on, so i went with the rear projection lcd which is about half the size as a typcial rear projection, but the beedrooms are small and the wall hanging tv's will be nice, but i don't make a ton of cash, so prices will have to come way down.

korsjs said:
i don't have a wall to hand a tv on, so i went with the rear projection lcd which is about half the size as a typcial rear projection, but the beedrooms are small and the wall hanging tv's will be nice, but i don't make a ton of cash, so prices will have to come way down.

Sounds like you have a good plan. I'll say this much the minute Verizon has a CableCard 2.0 card I'll be buying three series 3 HD Tivos so fricking fast it would spin your heads. It doesn't get any better than Verizon picture quality and offerings with an HD Tivo does it. I can just taste it right now you know.

This is INCREDIBLE stuff. I am a Dtv guy who is unhappy with the abandonment of Tivo and the lack of SV Channels. I will leave once FIOS TV becomes an option.

I just ordered FIOS internet, which JUST became available (install on March 8th) and I am eagerly awating the intro of FIOS TV in my area!! How long does it usually take between FIOS internet intro and FIOS TV intro? I am in AA County, MD. -- any thoughts?

DanWard said:
This is INCREDIBLE stuff. I am a Dtv guy who is unhappy with the abandonment of Tivo and the lack of SV Channels. I will leave once FIOS TV becomes an option.

I just ordered FIOS internet, which JUST became available (install on March 8th) and I am eagerly awating the intro of FIOS TV in my area!! How long does it usually take between FIOS internet intro and FIOS TV intro? I am in AA County, MD. -- any thoughts?

It all depends on when your city gets a franchise agreement with Verizon. Until that happens Verizon cannot offer you TV service even though they may have everything ready to turn on the next day.

DanWard said:
Thanks Longhorn! Any idea how I would go about obtaining that info? I am in Anne Arundel County, MD.
Verizon Maryland
Fiber Construction Schedule
Verizon's News Center
Anne Arundel Construction Schedule

Cable TV Franchise negotiations are usually kept confidential until a franchise agreement is awarded by your Local Franchise Authority (LFA). Contact your local Cable Television Administrator for more information and/or to voice your opinion in favor of cable competition.

Thanks for the info guys! Here is the e-mail exchange I had with the AA County Office of Cable Communications:

Dear Mr. Ward:
In response to your question regarding the status of Verizon's cable
franchise with the County, please be advised that this is still in the
negotiation stage. Negotiations have been ongoing and we expect that
they should be completed in the near future. I am sure that once
Verizon has a franchise agreement in place, you will be hearing from
their marketing department.
If we may be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact
us.

Terry Steele
Office of Cable Communications
Anne Arundel County

Daniel Ward <[redacted]> 2/22/2006 4:45 PM >>>
Dear Sir/Madam,

I am an Anne Arundel County resident and I am enthusiastic about
the
possibility of receiving FIOS TV from Verizon in the near future. I
live in Edgewater, MD, and have just ordered FIOS
internet service, which will be installed on March 8. I write now to

offer my support for the approval of Verizon's plans to offer FIOS TV

to Anne Arundel County residents.

I understand that Verizon needs to obtain a cable franchise from
the
County government before it can offer TV service. Has Verizon
obtained such a franchise? If not, has it applied? Are there any
obstacles it needs to clear?

I currently subscribe to Direct TV, but have been less than
pleased
with certain aspects of that service. Comcast is both more expensive

and offers a poorer quality product than I currently receive from
Direct TV. FIOS, on the other hand, appears to be the wave of the
future. Once Verizon FIOS TV service is available, I will order it.

I look forward to obtaining this service -- I also look forward to
the increased competition that FIOS TV service will create in our
county -- competition that will lead to lower prices and better
service!

I look forward to hearing from you regarding the status of the

progress of Verizon's cable franchise. If you have any questions,
please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Dan Ward
[Address redacted]

Hey at least you got a response. I've emailed the Pasco County, FL commissioners and the county administrator several times and I'm still waiting for a response. I don't think these people even know what e-mail is...:eek:

I have a question in this area for Longhorn: Will the 2.0 cable cards be compatible with old cable slots but just not have the interactive feature? In other words, would I be able to use the 2.0 cable card with my current set-up? I have heard in other places that the 2.0 cable card will work with the old slots but just not have the interactive feature.

Hoopnoop said:
I have a question in this area for Longhorn: Will the 2.0 cable cards be compatible with old cable slots but just not have the interactive feature? In other words, would I be able to use the 2.0 cable card with my current set-up? I have heard in other places that the 2.0 cable card will work with the old slots but just not have the interactive feature.

Last I heard once CableCard 2.0 cards are available they will indeed work in existing cablecard slots but as you said with no two-way ability. This means no PPV ordering nor VOD playback. Also keep in mind that not all current HDTV sets with cablecard lots will work and support the new 2.0 cablecards.

Now I have heard that the new Series 3 Tivo will support CableCard 2.0 cards and output everything via component. This means that if you bought a new Series 3 Tivo and got a cablecard 2.0 card from BHN, Verizon or another cable company your HDTV would only need a component input to work. You would use the Tivo guide and when tuning to a VOD channel it will fully load and you can browse and playback any VOD title using your Tivo and everything will be outputted by your Tivo over component cables. This will be the product I think I'll love.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)