(Rumor) Verizon CableCard and other news):

DanWard said:
That's the product I am hoping for too -- but why Component, not HDMI?

It will output over HDMI but I was more pointing out the fact that it will work with a connection that 100% of HDTVs have. With the new HD Tivo Series 3 box coupled with a cablecard 2.0 card from your cable company it will be a very good option for all HDTV sets. Today many HD sets don't have cablecard slots. The few HDTV sets that do have cablecard slots don't support the 2.0 version. Very few HDTV sets out in the market have HDMI or DVR for that matter. So if we can get an HD Tivo that can get all cable tv services including PPV and VOD without renting a digital box from the cable company along with it working on 100% of HDTV sets out in the market that is a pretty good option isn't it.

So as a dummy (me) would understand this. Verizon would not need Tivo to produce a Verizon branded HD Tivo for them cause this would work just as well and for praticly every HD TV out there. Only problem I see is how many would opt for a high priced Series III Tivo? I mean, I would( if the wife lets me!) but wouldn't having a HD Tivo they could lease like their current HD DVR reach more households and be a better unit? I know what your saying is a work around to get HD Tivo till a possible second gen HD Tivo "might" become available. Isn't Verizon and Tivo already working together with setting up your Tivo schedule via a Verizon cell phone? To me a HD Tivo would be the next logical step. Just a thought. LonghornXP, enlighten me!--Ray

I currently have two Sony DHG HDD 500 DVR's with 1st generation CC slots and QAM tuners. Would these DVR's work with Verizon FIOSTV? They use TVGOS for guide data - obtained from the Vertical Blanking Interval of a local analog channel(usually PBS). Does Verizon pass this information along or would my 500's somehow use the Verizon guide?

One thing to consider -- there are rumors that VZ will network the TVs in your house -- possibly as early as this summer -- meaning that you could what taped programs that are on your living room DVR's HD in your bedroom. If that happens, I am making the switch to VZ once it becomes available.

But then the question is -- will this work with 3rd party DVRs (like the series III Tivo) or will it only work with VZ branded boxes?

it will only work with verizon boxes. i don't think any cable company would make it compatible with other brand boxes. they want you to rent from them.

DanWard said:
One thing to consider -- there are rumors that VZ will network the TVs in your house -- possibly as early as this summer -- meaning that you could what taped programs that are on your living room DVR's HD in your bedroom. If that happens, I am making the switch to VZ once it becomes available.

But then the question is -- will this work with 3rd party DVRs (like the series III Tivo) or will it only work with VZ branded boxes?

I've seen rumors that this functionality is slated to be activated on May 28.

I have talked to many cable card customers, and from what they are telling me, your cable card slot is not setup for 2.0, but can be with a simple software upgrade. One person I talked to said he has a card reader in his TV, and will simply be able to download the new software onto a card, and then load it into his TV and do the download that way. Other people have told me they will have to call the TV manufacturer and they will send someone out to run a software upgrade. I know they do that, because some Mitsubishi customers had to have it done just to get the first cable card going. Hope that helps.

cableman265 said:
I have talked to many cable card customers, and from what they are telling me, your cable card slot is not setup for 2.0, but can be with a simple software upgrade. One person I talked to said he has a card reader in his TV, and will simply be able to download the new software onto a card, and then load it into his TV and do the download that way. Other people have told me they will have to call the TV manufacturer and they will send someone out to run a software upgrade. I know they do that, because some Mitsubishi customers had to have it done just to get the first cable card going. Hope that helps.

oh i hope thats true how awsome that would be :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts