Runaway click under ads?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

mike123abc

Too many cables
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
Ads going crazy with redirects? Look at this snippet of browsing history. Someone is inserting a redirection in between satelliteguys pages.

When you click back it goes to the mystery page that then clicks you back forward to the page you were just viewing. Very annoying.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 195
More testing seems to indicate it gets inserted when you click to the forums on the main page. It is not on the main page. Is it some sort of tracking site? It is very annoying since I use the back button on the mouse to go up and down in the forum and cannot back out of treads now.

I think it connected to one of the banner ads that appears on the top right of the screen. Am a pub member so have minimum ads, but I can go in and out of satellite guys and about 30% of the time I will pick this up.

Sounds annoying, I'm not seeing this (Thank goodness). I'm using Google Chrome. Did you try clearing your cache? this seems to be the answer to everything these day's.

I would scan your machine for Malware. We have nothing pointing to gadgetstacks.com.

All tracking is done by (and only by) Google Analytics and Quantcast.

I first suspected the machine, then I tried a couple more unrelated computers on different networks. I really think it is something one of the banner ads is doing. I suspect the sadaun one, but not 100% sure.

related problem?

I came here the other day to report this, and didn't see anyone else complaining...
When I back up a page, I often get "To display this page, Firefox must send information that will repeat any action..."
Then, I have click "resend" or "cancel" to proceed.
Also happens if I simply refresh the page!

This is in the forums (is there any other reason to be here?) and happens on maybe 30% of the page back-ups.
I'm thinking it's some new advert, or a change to the forum setups.
Has anyone been mucking about with the forum in the last week or so??

Any help at killing this problem will be greatly appreciated.
And no, I have not loaded any new software nor updates to old... not in many months!
[firefox 3.5.5]

I see in IE8 a waiting for page from www.gadgetack, the rest is cut off, when I do a page back. Have to hit it a couple times really quick to get out of it.

No changes have been made, and the Sadoun ads which have been running are the same Sadoun ads which have been running for the past 2+ years. (Man I wish our sponsors would update their ads) :)

This time when the browser hung, waiting for me to proceed, it was trying to load from:
Hostedopenx.com
Is that helpful or significant?

I'll keep an eye on that in the future and see if it's a constant or not...
edit: 8 for 12, see below.

edit:
...hrmmm... maybe the pagead2.googlesyndication four times?
Hard to pin down; difficult to describe the conditions, making this site address less trustworthy...

Last edited:
Hmm that itself is interesting and a nice find...

OpenX is the ad server software we use to display the Gold Sponsor ads.

Good Find Anole!

My back button is not working either. I'm using IE8. The link that shows up for my back button is: "http://www.gadgetstacks.com/c8PrahAp.php?aff=amazoncnty=US"

is that of any help?

I've also seen it waiting for Amazon ads a few times today. There are no Amazon ads on the page. The only ads that are appearing are the normal sponsor ads at the top.

I am more and more convinced it is something to do with an ad. Are the ads all served off of your server or do the come in from somewhere else. I can use the click down arrow to go back past the gadgetstack.com and then navigate normally for a bit, but then I will get hit with it again.

Being a pub member just limits the ads to gold sponsors and the banner ad in the upper right.

I will click into threads and back out just fine, then all the sudden I will click into a thread and end up with gadgetstack.com inserted into the browsing history.

This machine is running Win7 64, IE8 (32), Microsoft AV. I my other machine right here is running Vista 32, IE8, Kaspersky AV and it is doing it too (and they are actually on separated networks at work).

And now I just got a burst of pricingaffiliate, perfhistory, and ticketmaster showing up in the status bar when trying to back out of this thread, before ending up right back here!

And I forgot to mention, I have AVG 9 running. It hasn't detected anything unwanted. But I wonder if someone somewhere is doing a DNS redirection or something?!

Smith, why should I need an ad blocker? The ads should never be served in the first place since I'm a paying member, and Scott has said that he doesn't know why they are. There is clearly a bigger problem here.

I hear IE8 do click click when I get the gadgetstacks.com inserted. When I click a link normally there is one click as IE8 changes pages, this does click click so it is getting served a page that redirects to another page.

Unlike the original poster, all these mystery servers are NOT appearing in my browser history at all. They just flash by on the status bar. Firefox performs some degree of popup blocking on its own (there are some sites where it never works for some reason) so maybe that has something to do with it, I don't know, I'm not a web developer. Anything other than old-school straight HTML mystifies me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts