Runaway click under ads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scott must be working on the web site now. I noticed the sticky threads were not separated from the rest of the threads for a few minutes. Now they are separated again. When they were not separated I tried clicking around a lot and did not get the gadgetstacks.com insertion. But, now it seems to be back. Hard to say if it was just a coincidence.

I can also get it to happen by just refreshing the page a few times, eventually the gadgetstacks will appear. I do not have to navigate.

Not sure it's related, but the google ads in the first post of every page are back. Was relieved when my supporter ran out to see those gone. Guessing this is an intentional change.

There is an issue and I am working on it

It is strange as only certain usergroups are being sent this code... (Not all usergroups which is why many folks are not seeing it... in fact only seems to be hitting the pub member usergroup as far as I can tell in my tests.

I have vBulletin looking into it now.

Not sure it's related, but the google ads in the first post of every page are back. Was relieved when my supporter ran out to see those gone. Guessing this is an intentional change.

Not really we are turning various plugins off and on trying to find the rouge one. :)

Hang in there.

Yeah, I have the inline large square ads every 4th post now, and half the time they don't load. I am all for banners between posts and stuff, but I hope these are your most lucrative ads because they are awful user experience-wise, worst ads on the site by far for any non-pub supporter to endure.

As I said vBulletin is going through the plugins, it was not done intentionally.

I can't touch anything until they are done.

I got it! :)

The homepage will be unavailable for a little bit while I fix the issue for good.

My apologies to everyone this issue happened to.

woo hoo!

Congrats, and thanks for the effort. :D

When you are back, tell us all about it and who the bad guy was. - :up

So far so good, have been reading a bunch of threads and no rogue code in site. Was this a hack into SG via the VB security hole?

No what it was doing was opening ads behind the scenes (you were not seeing them) then closing them, this way the bots author would get paid for ad views.

Again I am sorry.

Working on the new homepage software now. :)

OK, thanks. Just get worried whenever I see the words security and hole together.

Scott, is the problem supposed to be fixed? It seemed to be earlier, but it's back again.

No what it was doing was opening ads behind the scenes (you were not seeing them) then closing them, this way the bots author would get paid for ad views.

Again I am sorry.
Well, hardly your fault. Thanks for getting to the bottom of the problem. :up

And as things rank, this was a targeted attack on the SatGuys server/forum.
I hope you figure out who did it (follow the money), and get them shut down.
If it hadn't been for the troubles it caused, it might have been a clever cheat!

I have been having left click issues with my Logitec Revolution Mouse. Thought these issues were symptoms caused by it.

Chances are good it was an automated bot which took advantage of a flaw in the homepage program. Looking at the logs it did its work in a matter of seconds. Issuing a command once a second or so.

I am working on the updated homepage now, please let me know if you see anything.

Will do.;) Soon as the home page comes up. Other than the home page everything else seems to be running fine.

I got hit with this at 9:06 pm tonight.

From my history folder. Froze my browser in about a half a second.

Published News - Gadget Deals | Gadget Stacks
Cell Phones -
Computers -
Desktops -
Netbooks -
Notebooks -
PC Games -
Software -
Software -
Video Games -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)