Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
SatelliteGuys keeps growing and growing and this growth has been due to your comments and suggestions on how to make SatelliteGuys better for all. This post is to let you know of some ideas we have and some things we are working on. We haven’t asked you how we are doing or what you would like to see improved in awhile so here we are. We want your feedback, suggestions and ideas of how to make SatelliteGuys a better place for all.

We are proud of our members here at SatelliteGuys, and we really have some outstanding members who go out of their web not only to help SatelliteGuys but other members who need help. We are planning on recognizing these members with our new MVP program, which we are announcing today for the first time! The SatelliteGuys MVP program will be a way for us to say thank you for the time, dedication and support that they give to us and our members and our site. While we are still finishing the details the plan is to have the SatelliteGuys staff nominate members to be MVP’s, when the nominations are available, members will be able to vote for who they think should be a MVP. We plan to do this each month as we feel it will be fun for the users and will be a great way to help say thanks to everyone for helping us be America’s Most Popular Satellite Information Forum. People who are selected as MVP’s will receive a special designation by their name marking them as a MVP and the year they were selected. MVP’s will be eligible to win once a year. The MVP program will be open to all members, meaning you do not need to be a pub member to be eligible to win.

A note about the ads that non-pub members see...

I have to be honest, I don’t like ads myself and if I had my way we would not have any syndicated advertising. However in order to keep the site running they are a necessary evil. The news keeps saying that the economy is improving but I am not seeing that in the internet advertising world, in fact I see the ad revenue decreasing as the economy supposedly gets better. Places where we were making $30 in ads we are now getting only $3. Because of this I have been experimenting with the ads trying to see if I can find a magic spot, which might earn us more. As you might know November and February is when most of our major bills for running this site are due, so I am really trying to get earnings up without adding more ads. I thank you for your understanding on this matter.

I would also like to thank our supporting Pub Members for their support, even in these hard times our pub members have been stepping up to the plate and supporting us. Their $20 a year donation helps us keep the lights on and in these hard times they have been there for us, so to them I say thank you!

Also, I want to thank our Gold Sponsors for their support. We get requests from companies every day looking to advertise here. If it was about the money I would sign them up, but it's not. The Gold Sponsors we have here are some of the best at what they do. I am not just proud to have them as sponsors but I am proud that I can recommend these companies as being great companies to do business with.

We are now getting ready for our 5th year of covering the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. This is always a major undertaking for us and we are looking at bringing you all the news from the show floor as it happens.

One other thing I would like to talk about and that is I am currently working on the next generation of SatelliteGuys. Yesterday I pre-ordered some new software which will take us to the next generation of SatelliteGuys, in addition I have started work on a total new look for SatelliteGuys, one that will be easier on the eyes and will allow you to customize the look to your likings. I am working with a designer on this new look and will give you a look at it when we are a little further along.

I now turn this thread over to you and ask for your comments and suggestions on we can make SatelliteGuys even better. Thank you again for your support! SatelliteGuys keeps growing and growing and this growth has been due to your comments and suggestions on how to make SatelliteGuys better for all. This post is to let you know of some ideas we have and some things we are working on. We haven’t asked you how we are doing or what you would like to see improved in awhile so here we are. We want your feedback, suggestions and ideas of how to make SatelliteGuys a better place for all.

Last edited:
Scott, you might want to check your post, you posted the part about the ads that non-members see three times, or are you really trying to drive home that point;)

I have a suggestion: stop repeating yourself, Scott. :)

Seriously, though, everything you have done here is amazing. Thanks for the hard work.

Hey Scott, You have an amazing site that I am addicted to. I like it the way it is now but I guess there is always room for improvement.

One thing I might suggest is to provide a link to a addiction help website. :)

There we go, damn cut and paste. :)

Still has four sentences (the first paragraph) repeated.

I'd like to echo the sentiments above. The site is informative, enjoyable, and consistently excellent (grammar/spelling excluded ;)). I look forward to seeing your new ideas.

I have just joined as a Pub member only because I have been able to get so much help and information from this site and it's members.
Please continue the good work and upgrade as you feel you need to. However this site stands on it's merits in its current form.

Great job,... a few suggestions.....

Add a "Best IPhone Apps" sticky and "New and Notable IPhone Apps" sticky to the phone section. Ditto for the Blackberry, Google, and Palm folks.

Add some more links for the newbies (user guides, troubleshooting, etc.)

The site is near perfect now. The only suggestion I have is to somehow make it easier to link to a picture in your personal gallery. That ought to be a button option in post, and would be even better if you could upload one to your gallery from there as well.

Well, I was wondering when, where and if to bring this topic up, so I guess here is as good a place as any. Maybe I'll start a poll also.

Inflation drives up costs. Pub Membership has not changed. I suggest we peg the price of a year of Pub membership at the price of one month of the lowest regular plan offered by Dish or DirecTV at the time of signing up or renewing Pub membership. That would be $24.99 right now, for the Dish Family Plan. This would ignore things like the Absolute Plan, etc, and the price would not decrease if they came up with some super cheapie (probably temporary) plan. Then there's no grief to go thru now and then to determine the rate.

Just one bit of help, while there could be others also.

Just stay impartial. It's refreshing to read a site that isn't controlled by one of the satellite companies.

Hey Scott... First I want to say thank you very much for all that you do with the site... For me I plan on renewing my pub membership which ran out at the end of Sept... With a major car expense and a few other things I had to go with those options first though... One thing I hope with the new look is that it continues to function with adaptive software for sight impaired people such as myself... Once again thanks for such an awesome site... CC

The reasons I became a Pub Member/Supporter is exactly what Marsworth75 stated! The info here is endless and w/personalities to match.

Thanks for the feedback guys, and please keep it coming.

On of the things that agrivates me about SatelliteGuys is I think the layout is too cluttered. I am working on that, hopefully I have something to show you in a few weeks. :)

As far as Pub Memberships go don't become a pub member because you feel you have to, I only want you to become a pub member because you want to.

Just this year alone look how much money we saved out members, a lot of our members are saving $120 a year on their Dish Network bills because of information they got here from SatelliteGuys, I think in cases like that a $20 yearly donation to support the site is not a bad thing.

Again keep the feedback coming. :)

Thanks for your support!

Just my two cents worth, but the friendships that I have made here on satguys are priceless! With that being said, I for one am open to any changes that need to be made for the better, and anything I have or can do for satguys is always here if needed!

I think that when this site (which I like very much) needs hardware inprovements that they take donations (like other sites do) so it all doesnt have to come out of Scotts pocket.

Our hardware is fine. :)

I am however thinking about moving our static image files to Amazon S3 Cloud servers, which would boost up our speed greatly. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)