Running RG6 through conduit

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ConfusedGirl

Original poster
Nov 9, 2004
Running RG6 through conduit w/electrical wire

Can RG6 be run through conduit with other wires (electrical - 110v and 220v)? Will signal be reduced? Will there be interference? Any other problems?
Thanks! :D

According to the NEC 2002, you're not even allowed to fasten the cable to the outside of the conduit.

Codes are designed to protect you from your own foolishness, do what you will but there is a reason for their being,

boba said:
Codes are designed to protect you from your own foolishness, do what you will but there is a reason for their being,

First, I clearly understand the reason for codes and the purposes behind them. I misunderstood and didn't realize that the codes were building codes, but thought they were some type of installer codes/guidelines, and did not know if I was bound by those same codes if I am not a professional installer. I have firsthand knowledge that some install companies have their own codes and rules regarding installs for their own protection - even if the regulatory codes/rules are not as strict. THAT is what I was trying to clarify.
Second, I am not foolish, and am actually the opposite - I am very cautious and try my best to follow rules, laws, codes, etc...If I were foolish, I would have already run the RG6 through the conduit WITHOUT checking w/those who are more knowledgable. I already have conduit run for insulated 110v and 220v and was wondering if I could utilize that, or if another avenue needed to be taken. To me, insulated wire or cable is just that - I am just trying to educate myself on my options.
Third, I came to this site to gain clarification, and don't think there is any reason to be rude to someone who is just trying to understand. I may not be a professional installer, but I am not stupid or foolish by any means.

If someone could please answer this question, I would greatly appreciate it: What type of damage can be caused by running insulated 110v, 220v and RG6 in the same conduit? I obviously do not have extensive knowledge of this and would appreciate clarification so that I may better understand.

I would not run 120 Volt wiring and Coax cable in the same conduit, just for the fact that the un-shielded 120 volt wiring gives off magnetic interference which could potentially interfere with the quality of the signal being run over the coax.

120 volt wiring, I believe should be run more than 3 feet of low voltage wiring such as Coax or telephone wiring and can only cross at 90 degree angles.

Ok, so if it is un-shielded, than there is the high potential for problems? If the 110v, 220v and RG6 lines are all shielded, could there still be a possibility for damage? What "damage" could occur? Fire? Electrical? Crop circles? Locusts? Snow in the middle of summer? What is the definition of damage?

As mentioned before, close proximity of electrical wires to non-electrical (phone, TV, etc) will likely cause signal problems on the phone/TV wires. For good 'ole fashioned analog TV, you'd likely see static or a herringbone pattern in the signal - for a satellite run, you'd probably see rain fade problems increase.

From a safety perspective, if there's a cut in the electrical wire and in the adjacent coax (yes, it should be fully insulated, but it may have been nicked during installation without your knowledge) you don't want voltage going into the piece of coax that people freely touch knowing that there's never high voltage in coax. Yes, the odds are against it, but if you're unlucky, it's a painful lesson. Many things in the code protect against seemingly impossible circumstances, but most have catastrophic results if Murphy isn't on your side.

Can you run a seperate, smaller conduit for the satellite run?

This is my first time posting here. But here is my .02 I work on circuits and electrical all day everyday.
I work in a 40 story building with over 1.2 million square feet. When we (myself or one of the other 4 engineers) install new wire for 110v 240 volt 277volts or 480 volts we HAVE to go by city and or NEC they made these codes (rules) because this stuff has been tested and found to work. As for your question what can happen. For one it you were to get a nick- cut in the 110 volt line and it rubbed a hole in the RG6 it could . 1. bleed voltage to your equipment maybe 110volts or somewhere in between. ( you could touch the equipment and get a deadly shock.
2. it could just blow up your sat box.
3. it could cause a fire.
4. it could just trip the breaker.
Myself why take the risk. It it were me I would run bx or romex for the circuit the run the RG6 on it’s own.
I don’t mean to come off as a smart az but I don’t want to see someone get hurt

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts