Running Scared

Status
Please reply by conversation.

shankle

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
florida
By the time Irene reaches where I live, the winds will be about 120 MPH.
Only thing I know to do is point the dish straight up. Any flying limbs will
create havoc though.
It's seems to be vering a little east so maybe I'll get lucky.
I live on the West side of Florida.

I chain down the dish to the mount with turn-buckles to take the stress off the dish mover during wind storms.

Yes, if nothing changes as of 11:00 it might miss Florida.
Never thought of chaining the dish to the mount pole.
Could you be a little more specific with the details Please?
Maybe bore a 1/4" hole a couple of inches from the ground and put a bolt
though the mount and fasten the trunbuckles there.
Then there is the LNB problem.... For me taking it off and remounting
it is quite a hassle. You guys that do it everyday no problem but once
every couple of years is a real challenge.

Removing the actuator from the dish side. Letting the dish down all the way in the direction that will hopefully minimize the wind catching it "face on", and then fastening the ring or what the dish attaches to, securely to the pole. May also have to "spin" the mount on the pole to accomplish this. I would not attach anything to the lip of the dish, I think you'd be asking for trouble, a warped dish. I think this is about all one could do. Short of taking it down and storing it away somewhere. Hopefully it misses you.

Never thought of chaining the dish to the mount pole.
Could you be a little more specific with the details Please?
Maybe bore a 1/4" hole a couple of inches from the ground and put a bolt
though the mount and fasten the trunbuckles there.
Then there is the LNB problem.... For me taking it off and remounting
it is quite a hassle. You guys that do it everyday no problem but once
every couple of years is a real challenge.
A couple of pictures shows application of the idea. This is a home-made mount, so it won't look familiar

Attachments

• DishUp 006.JPG
    DishUp 006.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 180
  • DishUp 007.JPG
    DishUp 007.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 161
Thanks guys for responding.
Looks like I'm going to get lucky. It's headed further East.
Can't be sure for another 48 hours.
BUT I've got another 6 weeks of a possibility. This is the height of Hurricane season here.

If another hurricane appears to be a risk, I think I would try to take the dish off the mount altogether, leaving all of the adjustments in place. I would roll that thing into my garage.

Of course you have the advantage in Florida of impending hurricanes being all over the news. Even if Irene misses, I am expecting a crazy season, and you will have to be ready. I don't care what way you aim that dish, if the winds get to 120, it will rip the thing off the pole and embed it in someone's house, or car, or skull, God forbid.

If your flying dish ended up hurting someone, you will think yourself foolish not to have planned to pull it down for the duration of the hurricane.

Thank you Lone Cloud.
Even someone as non satellite disk savvy as me should be able to handle taking the dish down
and carrying it into the garage. I would take the cover off the lnb and take a picture of the
wire situation. Mark the actuator so I can get it back in the same position.
Then when I reinstall all I should have to worry about is the east/west alignment.
A hassle but I feel better already.

I remember installing my Birdview solid dish on my roof by myself. Even though it is a solid dish, it's light.

I waited until there was absolutely no wind, I pointed the mount straight up. Then I lifted it on there so it sat like a bowl. Finding the bolt holes was easy then. I wouldn't be surprised if you could do some version of that in reverse.

Anyway, good luck. Pretty scary.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts