Rupert going for Dish Network? NO.

rocatman said:
If you mean DirecTV buying Dishnetwork, no chance. Dishnetwork tried to buy DirecTV a few years back and the FCC/FTC shot that down. Now if Rupert were to sell DirecTV, he could try to buy Dishnetwork but he would have to make Charlie Ergen an offer he couldn't refuse.
iTS ALL POLITICAL rUPERT HAS "FRIENDS" THAT CHARLIE DOESNT HAVE!!!

SBC has been good about company propaganda, rumours been going around for the last 2 years that they were trying to buy out dish through a huge stock purchase.

Sometimes I think that maybe if someone buys Dish Network out that maybe things would actually get better in some ways. That all depends on who buys them though. Just look at the improvements that will be coming our way from DirecTv after Rupert got them. They are talking free MPEG-4 DVR's for everyone.

riffjim4069 said:
Personally, I think it's going to happen...just not for another 3-5 years. With Verizon/SBS getting into the video market and helping to freeze or reverse cable price increases, it is only a matter of time before the DBS market stops growing and perhaps begins to dwindle. Shrinking profit margins will force DBS to cut costs, and reducing the costs of maintaining their fleet of satellites and uplink facilities will be high priority.

Currently, most people being served by cable have only a single choice of providers (90%); in essence people have no cable choices if DBS isn't a viable option. The DBS market has been growing in leaps and bounds the past several years, but those days are coming to an end. Verizon/SBS will offer consumers an additional video choice and will change the competitive landscape. The FCC/FTC will be hard pressed to deny a future E*/D* merger when market share and profits dry-up and consumers, in general, have more video choices (cable, telco, DBS, IPTV?). If nothing else, I can see a possibility of D* and E* being allow to partner future satellite and uplink facilities while still maintaining their own autonomy. Let's look at HD LIL for example: why in the hell should E* and D* maintain a fleet of satellite to provide something the majority can receive with a simple OTA antenna? Without getting into a pissing contest over OTA, E* and D* both having to provide seperate HD LIL is financial suicide IMO. In any case, it should be interesting to see what the landscape looks like in 2010.

Because OTA is simply not stable enough in regards to HD transmissions due to external environmental factors. That's why you need the LIL plans from the providers. Don't get me wrong, I love my HD OTA channels but there are days when due to either bad weather or really windy days with subsequent ionosphere interference that it can be a real pain. DBS and cable bring signal stability to the table. It's just that simple.

Brewer4 said:
Not even a viable rumor. The FTC/FCC has made it abundantly clear there will NOT be one satellite provider period. Period period period. If the administration changes and the FCC/FTC are completely gutted and revamped, maybe but I would say the rumor especially given the source is completely unbassed.
No. They made it abundantly clear that they wanted their most ardent supporter, Rupert Murdoch, to own DirecTV. They merely used the monopoly argument as an excuse. I doubt very much that they would mind if the guy who created a "news" network just to promote their agenda were to own Dish Network, as well.

And, he better try it before the current administaration changes, because the next one won't be nearly as accomodating.

I read that in the UK Rupert Murdoch is under investigation by the EU for monopoly strong hold on the "exclusive EPL soccer tv rights" just like the NFL-ST, but according to the EU he has to share the games with other broadcaster or risk loosing total rights. Of course he already has more sports channel for SKY then ESPN.

Look at the recent additions to the DISH executive suite. With these people's backgrounds, it appears DISH is well staffed to market itself as an acquisition target.

I'm gonna miss those "Charlie Chats." Really.

The monopoly issue is going to be the huge hurtle that Rupert will have to jump if he hopes to acquire E*, which I just don't see happening because, despite himself, Charlie like the sat business. He won't sell to Rupert easily or cheaply.

Let's look at it this way: how long did it take the FCC to approve the sale of Rainbow One to E*? Hm...I don't see the sale of an entire DBS business to Rupert being even remotely easy for the FCC to go for.

navychop said:
Look at the recent additions to the DISH executive suite. With these people's backgrounds, it appears DISH is well staffed to market itself as an acquisition target.

I'm gonna miss those "Charlie Chats." Really.

You noticed too?
I think there is a lot more to this. Hell who knows Cablevision may take the $16 billion they was going to use on purchasing Adelphia and use it toward the purchase of Dish. Anything is possible these days.

cablewithaview said:
You noticed too?
I think there is a lot more to this. Hell who knows Cablevision may take the $16 billion they was going to use on purchasing Adelphia and use it toward the purchase of Dish. Anything is possible these days.

Oh no we don't need another soap opera between father and son again !sadroll

A cableco owning DISH? Just sounds bad. Conflict of interest, hearts not in it, etc. SBC is another competitor like the cablecos. But Disney?- they've been so mismanaged in recent years, that's ungood too.

It may be that Charlie wants out, but the speculation on potential buyers can go on forever. Maybe he's just keeping his options open. Anybody know what % of E* stock Charlie owns/controls?

Slamminc11 said:
Jesus, it was a joke you blowhard. Maybe you should go back to bed and try waking up with a f**king sense of humor. But since that is probably not possible...here you go.
Nope, don't see it happening!
YOU HAPPY JSSAT???????

"satguys. The no joke zone"!

He He! Yup, I'm happy;) I have a sence of humor, your a funny guy:D Thank you to every one who turned this thread around.

cablewithaview said:
You noticed too?
Yeah, buy the company that bought your boat anchor, known as Voom. That's one company I'd not expect to buy DISH.

Sprint intends to package IDEN for the US Government

A little birdy told me that Sprint will be selling the Nextel Iden network to the US governement for DOD - IDEN. A secure network used for the department of defense and homeland security.

What does sprint get......

A blank check, revenue from the sell of IDEN, IPTV, Nationwide deployment of WiMAX, All the 700-800Mhz spectrum it can swallow, and a fiber backbone like no other across the USA.

WHat do we get.....

FIOS like speeds from sprint nationwide, IPTV and HDTV services for entertainment purposes. And you all wondered how sprint would catch up

Right up there with the rumor mill....whatch and see if the source is correct.
This one will change wireless forever folks if capitol hill buys it

Original Article

@ pcsintel and a dot and a comm

Not that anyone would care, but I will guarantee never to enter this site if DIsh and DIrectv merge in the next 4 years. Rupert is good and powerful but the FTC would like a bunch of hypocrites and I would bet it would garner some serious legal challenges should that merger be allowed to happen. I never say never but its as close to never unless something major changes in Washington and the FTC. RIght now both are profitable and there is no net benefit to the customer for a single Dish provider. WHen i read the rumors in the Wall Street Journal, then I will take it more seriously.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts