508/522 not sure--questions

jbirdbuc

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
Hello,

Just upgraded to a DVR through dish, thought I was getting a 625 dvr but looks like I got a 508 or 522, I do have 100 hours of recording time though. My questions are this:

Is it possible to record a show and watch a different channel with any of the DVRs? Say record something on CBS and watch monday night football on abc?

I wanted the possiblility to record TWO shows at the same time, I can not do this with the new DVR. I was told on the phone by dish that I would be getting a 625. Does the 625 have this capability?

Before I call dish and request a 625 what features does it have? I have enjoyed my new dvr, but I think I need more features. Thanks.

A 522 and 625 are almost the same thing, except the 625 has a video-on-demand feature. The VOD is pretty much worthless IMHO. They are both "dual tuners" allowing you to watch one tuner and record on the other. Or, you can record on both tuners and either watch what you are recording or watch a previously recorded event. Most often the receiver is set up to run 2 tv's, called tv1 and tv2. To get the most of a dual tuner dvr I prefer setting them up in single mode to take advantage of the swap and PIP feature. However, this means that tv1 and tv2 no longer act independently and must share a picture.

Press the SysInfo button in front of the receiver and it will tell you what kind of receiver you have. The 625 and 522 are dual tuner DVRs. The 508 is a single tuner DVR. For the 625 and 522, you need two remote controls for two TVs.

Thanks for the replies. Actually the model number is 510, so I am thinking its a 508 with a larger hard drive. I guess I need to call dish, because I want to record two shows at the same time. It makes me mad because dish told me numerous times that it would be a 625. Thanks again for the replies, this board is great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)