Rutgers coach Mike Rice abusing players

how about the NCAA not showing any interest at all in this? i forgot that unless there's money involved it's not important enough to look into. :rolleyes:

What more can the NCAA do?? Coaches and AD are gone, not many victories to strip from them, no competitive advantage was gained by Rice's actions. In fact, probably the opposite occurred.

Plus, it sounds like the NCAA will be busy down at Auburn anyways...;)

What more can the NCAA do?? Coaches and AD are gone, not many victories to strip from them, no competitive advantage was gained by Rice's actions. In fact, probably the opposite occurred.

Plus, it sounds like the NCAA will be busy down at Auburn anyways...;)

it isn't new news. i'm not asking they do more, i'm pointing out they didn't even try to before the video went public.

it isn't new news. i'm not asking they do more, i'm pointing out they didn't even try to before the video went public.

We all know the NCAA works at a snails pace (except in Penn State's case).

Speaking of the NCAA, this was a bad PR week heading into the final four. Rutgers, Ed Rush/PAC12, and Auburn...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We all know the NCAA works at a snails pace (except in Penn State's case).

Speaking of the NCAA, this was a bad PR week heading into the final four. Rutgers, Ed Rush/PAC12, and Auburn...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agreed. :)

Any another one bites the dust. Now the faculty is demanding the President's head. Unless the match professor thinks he can do a better job coaching, I suggest the faculty stick w/ teaching

I think too much is being made of this. The guy was a dinosaur. My junior high school gym teacher was just as bad. He'd slam people in the head with balls, he got mad at one student spectator for walking too slowly out of the first-base side foul area during an intramural game and slammed the guy to the grass and sat on him, and he dragged another guy out of the shower, naked, when some horsing around got him sprayed. The year before that, he was my geography teacher (Those who can, do, Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, teach gym class. - Woody Allen) and he would scream like a madman at me if I didn't put as much effort into something he thought I should have.

But that was a different time. The year after I graduated from High School, I got a part time teaching job there and my high school geography teacher (Hey, am I onto something here? Can we squeeze, "Those who can't teach anything useful teach geography" in there somewhere?) who had been a legendary tyrant during study halls, became assistant principal and decided he liked the world the way it once had been more than the way it had since become and decided he would stomp the miscreants into submission, and you can't imagine how much ill will that created - or maybe you can - because what he was doing doesn't work when no one else is doing it and no student is expecting it.

Did anyone hear the press conference? Some VERY interesting information came out:

- the AD WANTED to fire him immediately, but the university got the lawyers, HR and some kind of independent group together and after further consideration, they chose NOT to fire the coach but suspend him.
- the assistant HC was doing THE SAME THING as the HC(throw balls at players, verbal abuse and so forth).
- the university president never even bother to see the video evidence.

PREDICTION: university president will be the next to go. HOW can you as a university president with such a major incident like this with video proof and not even bother to look at the evidence? WTF?!

Can you say cover AGAIN? And once again, afraid to turn in one of there own because they did not want to put a black eye on a school that just joined the Big Ten.

*.....whispering...."lack of institutional control*

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

That president is an idiot. He really needed to shut his fat mouth.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Players Defend Mike Rice

"You can't let those individual moments define what he was," junior forward Wally Judge said during a telephone interview Thursday. "In my past two years, me being an older guy and being under other coaches, I have grown from the moment I stepped in these doors, not only as a player but also as a person because of how he has treated me."

Sophomore forward Austin Johnson agreed.
"He did a lot for us off the court, academically, socially," he said during a separate telephone conversation. "I have to say I enjoyed my time, even it was an emotional rollercoaster."

I feel if people had a chance to see the other portions of practice, or had been at practice, their judgment
would not be as severe," Johnson said. "I am not saying what he did wasn't wrong, because I do believe
it was wrong. But it is also tough because it was a highlight reel of his worst moments.

"I never expected for this to escalate as fast as it did," Johnson said. "We have to deal with this and it's
new for a lot of the younger guys."

Judge believes some of those moments come across worse on camera than they really were.

"Honestly, a lot of the things that have been seen have been taken out of context. A lot of things that aren't seen are when we grab him and kid around," Judge said. "Like I said before, when people ask me why did I play for him, I told them `He's a players' coach.'

"Mike was almost like a big brother. He would get on the floor with us and go through drills with us.
He made it fun. When you have a big brother-type of figure, you know you can play around like that. I have grabbed Mike and put him in a headlock and we joke around and kid. That was the type of relationship he built with his players."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...h_n_3018107.html?1365121279&utm_hp_ref=sports

It sounds almost like Stockholm Syndrome. It's okay to abuse someone as long as you are nice to them sometimes.

Here's another Rutger's basketball coach, doing it his way.

ESPY Awards Speech
On March 4, 1993, Jim Valvano was awarded the inaugural Arthur Ashe Courage and Humanitarian Award at the first annual ESPY Awards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuoVM9nm42E

Excerpt:

I was coaching at Rutgers University, that was my first job, oh that’s wonderful, and I was the freshman coach. That’s when freshmen played on freshman teams, and I was so fired up about my first job.

I see Lou Holtz here. Coach Holtz, who doesn’t like the very first job you had? The very first time you stood in the locker room to give a pep talk. That’s a special place, the locker room, for a coach to give a talk. So my idol as a coach was Vince Lombardi, and I read this book called “Commitment To Excellence” by Vince Lombardi. And in the book, Lombardi talked about the fist time he spoke before his Green Bay Packers team in the locker room, and they were perennial losers. I’m reading this and Lombardi said he was thinking should it be a long talk, or a short talk? But he wanted it to be emotional, so it would be brief. So here’s what I did.

Normally you get in the locker room, I don’t know, twenty-five minutes, a half hour before the team takes the field, you do your little x and o’s, and then you give the great Knute Rockne talk. We all do. Speech number eight-four. You pull them right out, you get ready. You get your squad ready. Well, this is the first one I ever gave and I read this thing. Lombardi, what he said was he didn’t go in, he waited. His team wondering, where is he? Where is this great coach? He’s not there. Ten minutes he’s still not there. Three minutes before they could take the field Lombardi comes in, bangs the door open, and I think you all remember what great presence he had, great presence. He walked in and he walked back and forth, like this, just walked, staring at the players. He said, “All eyes on me.” I’m reading this in this book. I’m getting this picture of Lombardi before his first game and he said “Gentlemen, we will be successful this year, if you can focus on three things, and three things only. Your family, your religion and the Green Bay Packers.”

They knocked the walls down and the rest was history. I said, that’s beautiful. I’m going to do that. Your family, your religion and Rutgers basketball. That’s it. I had it. Listen, I’m twenty-one years old. The kids I’m coaching are nineteen, and I’m going to be the greatest coach in the world, the next Lombardi. I’m practicing outside of the locker room and the managers tell me you got to go in. Not yet, not yet, family, religion, Rutgers Basketball. All eyes on me. I got it, I got it.

Then finally he said, three minutes, I said fine. True story. I go to knock the doors open just like Lombardi. Boom! They don’t open. I almost broke my arm. Now I was down, the players were looking. Help the coach out, help him out. Now I did like Lombardi, I walked back and forth, and I was going like that with my arm getting the feeling back in it. Finally I said, “Gentlemen, all eyes on me.” These kids wanted to play, they’re nineteen. “Let’s go,” I said. “Gentlemen, we’ll be successful this year if you can focus on three things, and three things only. Your family, your religion and the Green Bay Packers,” I told them. I did that. I remember that. I remember where I came from.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)